Lets make a RenegadeX map

kenz3001

• Totem Arts Staff

yes im making another map, an unofficial custom map this time. and again i thought i would share with you the horrors of mapping :P well not the horrors but my struggles in making this map and maybe get some people interested in making maps for games them selves

this series is more of a how to map series so some parts will get boring

well any way here are the Play list

again vids will go up ever 2 days or so (might do more live streams this time)

most of the vids are recorded well ahead of time but any comments would be appreciated :) i can always modify things

again i dont care if you sub to my youtube channel or not ... the channel is not monetized so subbing has no impact on it or me :) but it is a good way to find out if i uploaded a new vid, and if your are interested in anything i put on it :)

Thanks, hope you enjoy my mutterings and the making of a new custom map

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds good, but what is the difference between an official and unofficial map :P ?

For RenX, official ones are downloaded with the game and are made by Totem Arts development team.

Unofficial ones will be made by fans, us.

But, I think Kenz in his post, meant it that he was making a new map, not a port for an old Classic Renegade map. So he will be making an XMountain or Lakeside, not Volcano or Canyon...

• Totem Arts Staff

its not going to be a map that comes with renx but a custom "fan" map ... as thats were i first started i wanted to get back to my roots a little bit

all other maps ive made for "udk" renx have and will be in the base game this one will not

and its a start of a future project

One original map I would like to see but forgot the name :( kind of arid environment with a high ground in middle ,tunnels under it , veh goes in middle or left /right paths

Hourglass? Whiteout(or Hourglass II) is based off that one.

WEB_CHEMIN_11239_1287538337.jpg

No.. found the name ..it's Complex ,one of my best ,always mistaken the name for Cayon.

With a bit more improvement from kenz3001 it would be great map :)

its not going to be a map that comes with renx but a custom "fan" map ... as thats were i first started i wanted to get back to my roots a little bit

all other maps ive made for "udk" renx have and will be in the base game this one will not

and its a start of a future project

Lol, you are a dev, and you are making an independent map that will not be included in the default game on your own?

I mean, I guess I can see why, you want to start off where everyone else will start off and record so everyone else has a step by step on how to do it. And that much is applaudable, because you are right that it will be the most important thing to keep the game going. It kept original Ren through hard times.

• Totem Arts Staff
I guest there are some website that sell some already made stuff ?

As far as I know, you're gonna have a hard time looking for desired low-poly things. As for a whole .upk package, I stumbled on a website once, they give udk packages away for everyone in need for free... as far as I remember. Epic wouldn't like people selling packages anyway.

If you want to make assets yourself, I'd advise dividing the meshes into parts (eg : pillars, walls, roofs, floor) so you can reuse them for different things

Great to see more RenX mapping tutorials! That will surely help out community mappers with everything UDK.

I've already seen a lot of the other RenX map background vids such as the makings of or fly through videos, and I'll definitely be checking out any future ones aswell. Keep up the good work kenz3001!

Hey kenz, is it possible to have custom models inside of the map?

I was thinking of making a map for myself in the future when I have some time.

I was thinking about the Nod-scrin ship that was recovered from scrin technology in the first tiberium war.

See this link: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_warship

I was thinking about making a map with the ship itself and the crash site surrounding it. Would be awesome I think.

Considering the immense dimensions of this ship, it would take up to 2/3 of the map. However, since it's crashed, I think it's possible to have it be part of the terrain and therefore make a suitable renegade map.

What are your thoughts on this? And is it possible to integrate such a custom model?

• Totem Arts Staff
Will the ship have interior you can enter?

If so, you should do mesh compositing instead of one large mesh

Definitly, I'd like to use it for sniper spots.

Edit: Just in the idea phase now though

Well, as far as I know, you only need to include the map and the custom packages where your meshes are located. Like Unreal Tournament, I'd advise against modifying existing packages from RenX, so create your own. But if I'm correct, it IS possible to insert the asset into the map itself.

• Totem Arts Staff

What I'd like to ask is a bit radical. Now I know that the buildings are just multiple meshes and actors composed into one (and kismet too? maybe?) now what if we break the prefab and.... say, reconstruct the building into its' Tiberian Sun iteration, but still pumps the same unit of course. Would that be possible?

It would be an interesting twist in a map where buildings are concealed as civilian structures for undercover excuse. So many players will rage because the Hand of Nod does not look like a Hand of Nod at all. Of course that's just my imagination going wild

Hey kenz, is it possible to have custom models inside of the map?

I was thinking of making a map for myself in the future when I have some time.

I was thinking about the Nod-scrin ship that was recovered from scrin technology in the first tiberium war.

See this link: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_warship

I was thinking about making a map with the ship itself and the crash site surrounding it. Would be awesome I think.

Considering the immense dimensions of this ship, it would take up to 2/3 of the map. However, since it's crashed, I think it's possible to have it be part of the terrain and therefore make a suitable renegade map.

What are your thoughts on this? And is it possible to integrate such a custom model?

I think you can just scale down the ship to fit the size you want in the map

What I'd like to ask is a bit radical. Now I know that the buildings are just multiple meshes and actors composed into one (and kismet too? maybe?) now what if we break the prefab and.... say, reconstruct the building into its' Tiberian Sun iteration, but still pumps the same unit of course. Would that be possible?

It would be an interesting twist in a map where buildings are concealed as civilian structures for undercover excuse. So many players will rage because the Hand of Nod does not look like a Hand of Nod at all. Of course that's just my imagination going wild

That is actually a nice idea. Atleast, I think so. Meby that's an idea for a Tech building of some sort.

• Totem Arts Staff

That is actually a nice idea. Atleast, I think so. Meby that's an idea for a Tech building of some sort.

Nah, I mean like the same building, but with different look

• Totem Arts Staff

ummm well i dont think you can just change the "mesh" i didnt set the buildings up so im not 100% sure how it all works but i know we removed all kismet for buildings its all done via code now

Nah, I mean like the same building, but with different look

What would be awesome, is the larger structures. Not EXACTLY from the ones in Field TS and such. But I did sort of like ones with elevators or multiple floors or multiple hallways. They shouldn't be that huge, either 2 story (basement or such), or 1 story but stretched to have an additional room of space.

• Totem Arts Staff

If someone wants to make such labyrinth building, their inside damage modifier needs to be the same as the one in the campaign while the outside will remain the same

But yeah, BD's HoN seemed so oversized compared to the multiplayer's version, but it's not so different structure-wise