Enemy healing

djlaptop

What do you think about having "enemy healing" as an option for server owners to enable or disable? Meaning that engineers or techs/hotties can repair enemy units.

It can open the door for trolls (which is why it should probably be up to the server owner whether or not to enable it), but there are legitimate uses for it too. For example, if I'm a hotwire sneaking into a Nod building that has taken 1 or 2% damage, I'd rather repair the building to give the enemy one less reason to come in while I wait for my timed c4's to go off.

Or you'd be that team hamperer that tags along with the enemy healing it giving that enemy a better chance of destroying your (already crippled) base. Seriously, there are enough people out there starting votes for a mapchange after 10 minutes of play when 1 building of theirs is knocked out. Those would be the players healing the enemy to speed up the proces of losing the match and forcing a new map in that sense.

I find that a poor suggestion.

Now, if you use a repair gun to make SBHs visible (a suggested feature to be added) and healing them at the same time is also contradictory if your team is trying to kill it.

Lets actually be realistic here. Trying to heal enemies never really "works", they always get killed anyway because people don't even play along with "trolls" except in ridiculously rare occasions, and infantry healing is quite terrible anyway that it shouldn't matter.

There are far, far FAR worse griefing capabilities in this game right now than that would be.

What do you think about having "enemy healing" as an option for server owners to enable or disable? Meaning that engineers or techs/hotties can repair enemy units.

Wait, so you mean you want to give players the ability to heal the opposing team's assets?

I guess team-killers and griefers are not a common problem in fps games so surely nobody would use that for malicious purposes right?

It can open the door for trolls (which is why it should probably be up to the server owner whether or not to enable it), but there are legitimate uses for it too. For example, if I'm a hotwire sneaking into a Nod building that has taken 1 or 2% damage, I'd rather repair the building to give the enemy one less reason to come in while I wait for my timed c4's to go off.

Sounds stupid in my opinion, I'd rather have your repair gun damage enemy tanks or buggies etc. Kind of like battlefield 4 with the engineer's repair tool that can damage enemy tanks quite quickly.

Sounds stupid in my opinion, I'd rather have your repair gun damage enemy tanks or buggies etc. Kind of like battlefield 4 with the engineer's repair tool that can damage enemy tanks quite quickly.

Right, as the repair tool seems like an "electronic" beam, the frequency could be changed to deal damage rather than repairing. Maybe right-click for damage? Make it a secondairy fire on repair guns.

I believe I saw it in a trailer some months ago. Same feature could be used to remove ill-placed mines?

Wait, so you mean you want to give players the ability to heal the opposing team's assets?

I guess team-killers and griefers are not a common problem in fps games so surely nobody would use that for malicious purposes right?

I don't want to give players that ability across the board. I’d like for server owners to have the option to enable that ability. It was the default behavior of the original Renegade and was never an issue there; servers that are properly moderated shouldn't have a problem either.

IIRC there was a Renegade mod that did this for standard engineers, but it could only damage units, not buildings. IMO allowing that for hotwires/techs would make them wayyyyy OP.

This enemy healing feature would be the single greatest griefer tool of all time.

Since their own team would be powerless to stop them, the griefer could just constantly heal the enemy team, making them invincible, lol. :rolleyes:

Wasn't a problem in the original Renegade, as the griefer generally gets killed pretty quickly when approaching enemy units.

Another viable use for enemy healing is preventing enemies from respawning in their base. If you're in the field fighting an enemy unit that is close to dying but you know that back at their base your team is busy infiltrating their structure, you'd rather heal that enemy out in the field so that they won't die, respawn and give your friends trouble and potentially blow their cover and cause the attack to fail.

Another viable use for enemy healing is preventing enemies from respawning in their base. If you're in the field fighting an enemy unit that is close to dying but you know that back at their base your team is busy infiltrating their structure, you'd rather heal that enemy out in the field so that they won't die, respawn and give your friends trouble and potentially blow their cover and cause the attack to fail.

1. No offense, but that's the kind of convoluted thinking that turns new people off to this game.

Most gamers do not like losing a game because of things they have no control over.

They want to be engaged in the excitement of the frontline fight, not rezzed and killed repeatedly by some douchebag.

2. The ability to "unrepair" a vehicle in BF makes no sense at all and its just plain silly.

I realize that you didn't bring that one up, but it still highlights how silly things can detract from a game.

3. Just because something was in the original version of Renegade doesn't mean it has to be in this game.

This game doesn't need to just clone its predecessor, it needs to surpass it.

1. I don't see how it turns new players off to the game. It's an advanced team play mechanic that is in no way required to win. In fact, most people wouldn't even think to do that in the first place. How can someone get confused about something they don't know can be done?

2. I don't know what you mean by "unrepair." If that was directed at me, then you totally lost me. I do know you can sabotage enemy vehicles with the repair weapons in BF. Is that what you're talking about? That shouldn't happen in this game.

3. Only the things that make the game what it is should return. This being one of those things.