It is time to release the Beta-3

N3tRunn3r

Yes, it is yet Beta-2 and has been downloaded more then 50k times.

As you can see, Renegade X loses players!!

Like 50% of all hosted servers are gone, like 40 people are scattered between 2 servers.

More and more servers die. Where are all players gone?

It is time for a more stable Beta-3 release asap.

You Devs dont need to fix every bug, glitch and other issues within 1 patch. This is beta!

It is very very better to release one patch after the other. Let's say, weekly or even monthly.

Unless it's a patch, I disagree.

Remember, Beta 1 and Beta 2 required a full download, uninstalling Beta 1 manually first before installing Beta 2. And when the installation is fully completed, the installer AUTOMATICALLY reboots the system without a message for the need of this.

Unless you want to download a FULL game every month and don't bother with uninstalling/reinstalling the new version, whilst also expecting this from every server owner to do this manually, I don't see it coming unless the Devs think it's time.

I believe many people are "standing by" for the next release and new map content.

If there will be patch fixes that automatically patch a Beta version (to lets say 2.1) I might reconsider my opinion.

Use won't have long to wait, the new-beta3 will be released shortly, summer time i believe. I don't mind re-installing the entire game from scratch every so often etc. beta2 right now runs pretty stable for me, with the odd exception of built with udk error once everyday, so pretty happy overall. Looking forward to the new maps and items that are on this new beta.

You are very right Truxa, none wants to download and install a full game every day, but since this version is called:

Beta-2a, maybe there will be a fix or even a map fix so you will see a Beta-2b version next to it. Walls_Flying causes crashes au mass. It is more than 50k downloads ago that the Beta-2 was being released. I would agree that I might download and install a complete game every month... since we are BETA TESTERS. The rest players may stand-by until a more stable and/or full release comes true.

Many people confuse BETA and FULL RELEASE very often. But really, it is time for a next version just to keep the amazing game alive at first and secondly to keep its reputation.

Let's say there havent been a next update version released and people become uninterested into this game and move on = losing interested people. Let's also say, if the Devs dont see any player online anymore they might think so: "Why should we continue this project!"... I have seen this issue many times within the WWW, communities died, the development lacked so... I hope this isnt the fact right here.

Hell, Westwood was honoring them..

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=71850

Yes technically it's a "beta", but people play it and treat it like a full game. Progress updates or anything else would definitely help. Maps should be last priority, but instead stabilizing the game should be first.

1) I also do not play beta 2 anymore and just wait for beta 3.

2) It was a mistake to release such an instable version.

3) Beta 1 Players dont even get a notice that a newer version was released.

4) 50000 downloads and just a few 100 players. They wont come back even with better release.

i personally have been lurking here every day, in hopes that i would see a new release because i'd really love to play it again... but i really can't in it's current state
Same. I'll play again when the game is in a more polished state. But I don't want them to rush it either. Perfectly fine with waiting so long as the result is a much more complete release.

Based on some of the other posts on this forum, I don't think the crashes have been resolved yet. Remember, when beta 2 came out, they thought they had resolved the crash issues but the problem persists, which means it's something that the devs have been having a hard time replicating on their test systems.

I don't think beta 3 should be released until the majority of the crashes have been mitigated, however long that takes.

Beta 3 is still in development. The developers are still developing maps, and their attention is still mostly at bugfixing.

Don't blame them for not releasing a new beta lately, it has been a busy month for most people reading this, with exams being a big one. I've just finished my finals today and hope i'll be able to go to college in a few months! :)

So yeah... I wish to see you guys playing when the next beta comes out! ^_^

I stopped playing because no one in my gaming community wants to redownload it hundreds of times and the balance is all messed up because of changes in how vehicles/characters respond compared to the original game. If a patcher system is worked out, balance improves and the crashing/bugs are fixed ill be right back on. I think the crashing is the main problem almost everyone I have talked to it crashes in-between maps constantly and sometimes crashes when vehicles explode.

I still think nod has been kicked in the balls hard with how the stealth tank operates in renegade x.

If you had actually played (there have been 2 releases, not hundreds), then u'd see how players actually start adapting to the new units. In my opinion, the game is fairly balanced at this moment, except for SBH's been too invisible (they should flicker when being shot at the very least).

4) 50000 downloads and just a few 100 players. They wont come back even with better release.

Any honest person must admit that this is the crux of the situation.

Why do 50,000 people download a free game but only 100 remain to play it?

The answer can be deduced with some simple logic.

RenX was released as a totally free standalone game with the hope that it would attract a larger audience than its previous incarnation as a UT3 mod. This logic is undeniably sound because a free standalone is obviously more enticing than a mod which requires ownership of a prior game. However the game itself has at least two major flaws which are off-putting to the audience it is trying to appeal to:

1. The game does not run well on ATI gpus, especially cheap ones, and that is the very hardware people hunting for free games are most likely to have.

2. The overwhelming reason most new people download RenX is because they think it is a free version of BF3 and once they see it is not they immediately discard it.

Please don't get me wrong here. The devs have done something truly remarkable by releasing a totally free standalone fps game with modern graphics. Unfortunately if those two problems can't be addressed then I don't see any possibility of it continuing with more than a handful of die-hard C&C fans.

RenX was released as a totally free standalone game with the hope that it would attract a larger audience than its previous incarnation as a UT3 mod. This logic is undeniably sound because a free standalone is obviously more enticing than a mod which requires ownership of a prior game. However the game itself has at least two major flaws which are off-putting to the audience it is trying to appeal to:

1. The game does not run well on ATI gpus, especially cheap ones, and that is the very hardware people hunting for free games are most likely to have.

2. The overwhelming reason most new people download RenX is because they think it is a free version of BF3 and once they see it is not they immediately discard it.

Please don't get me wrong here. The devs have done something truly remarkable by releasing a totally free standalone fps game with modern graphics. Unfortunately if those two problems can't be addressed then I don't see any possibility of it continuing with more than a handful of die-hard C&C fans.

And there it is, the CoD/BF3 argument, as if those games are supposed to be the best ... I mean c'mon, camping a spot for more than a minute to "own" that location is better than the actual structures you must defend/destroy?

All CoD/BF3 is is about mindlessly running acros maps, killing/shooting at anything that moves while capturing a flag ...

Sure, renegade is also fast paced (immediate respawn after death) but atleast the buildings you are defending/destroying have functionality, gamebreaking functionality, rather than draining points if you have less spawn points than the other team.

If those people stay away because RenX doesnt live up on that expectation, than good riddance!

@N3tRunn3r

I agree, RenX is a masterpiece, but I miss the sologame though, the Black Dawn one is just simply too short. Original Ren solo was the main game, multiplayer was a brilliant feature added to the game imo

If those people stay away because RenX doesnt live up on that expectation, than good riddance!

I didn't want to offend anybody so I purposely left out the third reason this game is unpopular:

3. Delusional fanbois.

lmao.

i personally have been lurking here every day, in hopes that i would see a new release because i'd really love to play it again... but i really can't in it's current state
Same. I'll play again when the game is in a more polished state. But I don't want them to rush it either. Perfectly fine with waiting so long as the result is a much more complete release.

completely agree

Based on some of the other posts on this forum, I don't think the crashes have been resolved yet. Remember, when beta 2 came out, they thought they had resolved the crash issues but the problem persists, which means it's something that the devs have been having a hard time replicating on their test systems.

I don't think beta 3 should be released until the majority of the crashes have been mitigated, however long that takes.

there were new crashes occuring after the second was released

Beta 3 is still in development. The developers are still developing maps, and their attention is still mostly at bugfixing.

Don't blame them for not releasing a new beta lately, it has been a busy month for most people reading this, with exams being a big one. I've just finished my finals today and hope i'll be able to go to college in a few months! :)

So yeah... I wish to see you guys playing when the next beta comes out! ^_^

i wasn't blaming anyone, i love what they've done, and i'm patiently waiting for the next version, because i don't want to play a game that i crash at least 6 times in per game

i think it's impressive that people mistake this with bf3 in the first place

i think it's impressive that people mistake this with bf3 in the first place

Most definitely. It is a testament to the quality of the graphics that the devs have endowed this game with. However, it also makes clear that the overwhelming majority of fps players want immersive features that are similar to BF since the graphics are already similar enough to satisfy.

As I said in my previous post, if the game stubbornly refuses to appeal to the vast majority of gamers, then it must accept its inevitable status of having a relatively tiny population of die-hard C&C fans. Trying to generate a larger player population while ignoring the very things that are repelling them is illogical.

1. The game does not run well on ATI gpus

Yeah, I can confirm that for sure. My ATI card isn't bad by any means, but I have to run this game at almost the minimal graphic settings to even stay above 30 fps. I just hope this game gets optimized for these cards more in the future as I don't plan on upgrading my GPU anytime soon.

Yeah, I can confirm that for sure. My ATI card isn't bad by any means, but I have to run this game at almost the minimal graphic settings to even stay above 30 fps. I just hope this game gets optimized for these cards more in the future as I don't plan on upgrading my GPU anytime soon.

Since this is a UDK game it uses PhysX and NVIDIA hard-coded PhysX physics to only run on the cpu if an NVIDIA card is not the primary gpu. That's why this game runs so bad on ATI gpus.

The only way for RenX to run decently on ATI is if the devs remake the game on a new engine.

Obviously I don't expect that to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

It seems that somebody is intent on throwing people off the trail of important information about the game by posting "Kitchen Designs". If its a bot then the forum moderators need to ban that account. On the other hand if its an interested party who is exploiting the forum organization to bury a thread I wouldn't be surprised.

If you learn nothing else in life, learn this phrase: Cui Bono (i.e. latin legal maxim translated as "Who Benefits").

When trying to discover who the perpetrator of a crime is you need to figure out who benefits from it.

-Class dismissed-

It seems that somebody is intent on throwing people off the trail of important information about the game by posting "Kitchen Designs". If its a bot then the forum moderators need to ban that account. On the other hand if its an interested party who is exploiting the forum organization to bury a thread I wouldn't be surprised.

I only come here for the kitchen designs, have no interest in playing Renegade but I heard that this forum was the place to be for trendy kitchen designs.

On a more serious note, banning a bot doesn't work, it re-registers as a different name and continues as normal, you have to stop them being able to register in the first place to fix it.

I have to agree to some points already mentioned ...

People treat it like a full game and a lot of em already threw the game away cause it looks like the gameDEV stucks. There are no news or even announcements, no weekly report or any other change reports WHAT you guys are working on. I know - "Public relations work" like this costs a lot of time, which you could use to fix some other problems - but its necessary to keep the ball rolling.

We need progress!

We want news!

And if not even as a release, at least as a NewsComment!

It seems that once again somebody posted something random to throw this thread off the front page, lol.

Getting back to our discussion, I guess a dev blog that outlined their intentions for future updates would be helpful. I also agree that small patches are more preferred as opposed to re-downloading the entire 2GB game when an update is incoming. There may be some legitimate reason to do it as an all or nothing process but it definitely is a pita for the player that way, lol.

Interested parties (i.e. translate as "fanbois") are at it again. Making random posts to throw this thread off the front page. So if you want a simple way to locate the thread again just use "Advanced search" and type my name, get-a-grip, in the author section.

Cheers and happy hunting, lol.

Wow it only took the fanboi 2min to repost this time, lol.

Anyway, just use Advanced search to relocate the thread and make a new post if you feel inspired.

P.S. Fanbois are so pathetically hilarious that I may start a thread just about them. It should be entertaining to see what kind of input I get from the vast majority of players.

Since this is a UDK game it uses PhysX and NVIDIA hard-coded PhysX physics to only run on the cpu if an NVIDIA card is not the primary gpu. That's why this game runs so bad on ATI gpus.

The only way for RenX to run decently on ATI is if the devs remake the game on a new engine.

Obviously I don't expect that to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

Ah well. That's good to know, though. As long as the occassional temporary lock-ups that happen when something explodes isn't caused by this card, I'll deal with it for now. :P

I guess that the crash issues are not fixed yet

no new maps are finished enough to be added

and no new content is ready to be used ...

so nothing new for a patch or even a news ...

I believe that they do what they can ... but they have limited time and ressources ...

I believe that they do what they can ... but they have limited time and ressources ...

This.

Plus the fact that the Devs needed more than a year for Beta 1! People just need to hang tight and deal with it. Devs are doing what they can WHEN they can for FREE! Remember, they just might have a life for themselves and even have a job! :o Maybe a family and kids to care for? And they STILL put time and effort into making this game for YOU! For FREE!

So, if you realy enjoy this game when the crashes are fixed, you'd wait for it.

This.

Plus the fact that the Devs needed more than a year for Beta 1! People just need to hang tight and deal with it. Devs are doing what they can WHEN they can for FREE! Remember, they just might have a life for themselves and even have a job! :o Maybe a family and kids to care for? And they STILL put time and effort into making this game for YOU! For FREE!

So, if you realy enjoy this game when the crashes are fixed, you'd wait for it.

Couldn't agree more, People need to realise that the devs also have there own real life commitments, and they're doing this for free. The people constantly complaining about issues, bugs, what's wrong with the game etc need to take a long hard look at themselves, it's not exactly easy to build the maps and everything else that goes with it. There doing the best they can as fast as they can. and best of all the game is 100% FREE yet people stop moan and bitch about it.

Respect the DEVS and the job they're doing.

Couldn't agree more, People need to realise that the devs also have there own real life commitments, and they're doing this for free. The people constantly complaining about issues, bugs, what's wrong with the game etc need to take a long hard look at themselves, it's not exactly easy to build the maps and everything else that goes with it. There doing the best they can as fast as they can. and best of all the game is 100% FREE yet people stop moan and bitch about it.

Respect the DEVS and the job they're doing.

Nobody is being unreasonable so cut them some slack:

1. People like game.

2. People can't play game because its broken.

3. People ask devs to fix game asap.

If the game wasn't any good then nobody would stick around to complain about game breaking bugs, right?

I think the devs are sharp enough to realize that, so you can climb down off that mountainous soapbox, lol.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Guest

It would be good to at least let people know what's going on with it. I mean personally I see it as dead, since there hasn't been any updates in months. They shouldn't be concentrating on making new weapons or maps but solely on making the game playable.

I know also a lot of original ren players don't like all the changes, in the future, once the game is stable, adding a different gameplay mode, being identical or nearly identical to original ren, could bring in a bunch of players as well.

then you mised Kenz makig of Volcano ... that clearly shows that it is clearly alive, or why would he do that?

and following the project for years, i know there always have been times without news ...

I have no doubt that players will return

I've been lurking. I'm not going to play right now because of the stability issues plus my hectic real life schedule. I'm playing games that won't frustrate me in the meantime. I'm sure there are plenty of others waiting on the next beta release. There has been more than enough information on bugs and other issues for a new release to have been made. There hasn't (from what I can tell) even been any news updates. There should be progress updates in between releases just so we know that things are progressing.

@get-a-grip

dont quote me wrong please :P

Oops, missed that one. I accidentally deleted the wrong author name.

***FIXED***

It would be good to at least let people know what's going on with it. I mean personally I see it as dead, since there hasn't been any updates in months. They shouldn't be concentrating on making new weapons or maps but solely on making the game playable.

Can't argue with that hierarchy:

1. Stability.

2. Playability.

3. New content.

Of course the unofficial EA hierarchy is :

1. Premium

2. DLC

3. What's stability? Give us more money! :P

then you mised Kenz makig of Volcano ... that clearly shows that it is clearly alive, or why would he do that?

and following the project for years, i know there always have been times without news ...

I have no doubt that players will return

I've seen it, I lurk, every once in a while, lol. New maps are great, but they don't help if nobody can play them. Stability has to be fixed. And yes, its been years, but now that its released for public play and was being advertised pretty heavily (at least a few months ago), the name is out and about. Hopefully it hasn't gotten a bad reputation due to the crashing. I would love to see it make it, I'm just hoping it can recover

I agree iovandrake,

we need to see this Renegade X project as it was or is a professional one made by Blizzard.

* We need an active blog with active Devs about latest upcoming changes, additions, updates and fixes.

* We need an auto-updater which is very easy to code and program, so we don't have to download many GBs at once after each update or fix

* We need fixes, or we lose interests and move on to other games. RenX will be forgotten then.... For Ever?!

It will be very sad, if this project dies by doing simply nothing.

And yes, to create a new map doesn't fix anything. We need news, dear Devs. What is going on??

Free time here, free time there, working issues on anywhere. Who hasn't?!

Yes, it is a free and amazing game. Don't leave it alone... You lose your interested community. Just give us something, so we stay tuned for ya instead to leave with a hope for a Beta-3 in year 2015... You know..

I still don't see the issue. They need to put as much stuff in updates as possible because they don't have an auto updater. Lots of games don't. People need to take personal responsibility in aquiring it if they want it.

It is a lot of hoops to jump through, but first off it is beta. Second off, they are free developers so you can't expect too much. They are getting somewhere, the current game shows that, but they can't gurantee this month even.

For instance, you know a fan is making a 3d port of Star Control 1 and 2 (The Ur-Quan Masters)? Real interested people like me check that progress like I used to RenX last summer, just periodically every 4 months or so. However, it is literally 1 guy making a port of a game, so it really is hard to expect much.

It will be very sad, if this project dies

It might very well die so brace yourself, lol. It could die just because the devs need to move on to more profitable activities. Just have to wait and see what happens.

we need to see this Renegade X project as it was or is a professional one made by Blizzard.

I understand your point but you can't really hold the devs of a free game to the same standards as a professional game publisher. Obviously if people paid $60.00 for a game they have every right to expect it to be fixed immediately because the seller is obligated by law to either fix it or refund them. Since this game is actually just a hobby project done for free, complaining about bugs is fine but we shouldn't get too carried away.

I agree that your points are valid but we don't want to get so over zealous that the devs walk away in disgust. :)