Thieving purchase terminal steals airstrikes and nukes

I was playing as Nod and had saved up a sizable chunk of credits. So I decided to get a nuke, a technician, and a stank. I purchased those items in that order, hopped in my stank and made my way to the enemy base.

I sneaked in just fine, got out of my stank and went to plant the nuke. Only problem was I didn't have the nuke. I rage quit instantly, and someone on the other team got a free stank.

You see the problem is that if you purchase a nuke first, and then change characters the nuke disappears. I know the old ren did this too, but I don't see any reason for this balance wise. It just ends up costing me nukes and airstrikes when I forget and purchase them before my character.

In my opinion this is one of those minor bugs (or poor design choices) that makes me want to rip my hair out, and should be fixed. Purchasing a new character should not take away special items you have already purchased, and again I don't see any reason why that is beneficial balance wise. What possible harm could be done by changing characters and still keeping the nuke you paid for?