the making of Volcano

kenz3001

• Totem Arts Staff

so alot of you guys have been asking for the old maps like under, volcano and complex. well as under and complex are being made by other members of the dev team i thought ill give volcano a crack but i would like to share with people what exactly we go thought to make these maps maybe even get people making maps them selves in the future (if an editor is released there is no guarantee this will happen im sorry) so i am in the process of making volcano and recording some things im doing "not everything" as its boring to watch and takes hrs or fiddling to get it right

well any way here are the vids

playlist >>

Fly thought of the finish map >>

i dont care if you sub to my youtube channel or not ... the channel is not monetized so subbing has no impact on it or me :) but it is a good way to find out if i uploaded a new vid, and if your are interested in anything i put on it :)

Thanks, hope you enjoy my mutterings and the making of CNC_Volcano

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not watched it right now but since i am in process of learning how to use the UDK i sure will :)

thank you for the upload :D

is here the place to ask a question?

well ... i will ...

Will you add turrets on both sides like they were modded in later?

i kinda liked the turrets at each exit of the inf tunnel on gdi ...

• Totem Arts Staff
Have not watched it right now but since i am in process of learning how to use the UDK i sure will :)

thank you for the upload :D

is here the place to ask a question?

well ... i will ...

Will you add turrets on both sides like they were modded in later?

i kinda liked the turrets at each exit of the inf tunnel on gdi ...

yer ether here or on youtube :)

im unsure right now ... probably not for the first test build but if the testers / other devs feel it needs defences ill add some in

i like the video :)

thanks for shareing

about the turrets, i am not sure anymore but i believe the original had turrets for nod but not for gdi

I don't think Nod had turrets at all, just "tank stoppers" at the airstrip building.

Watched the video and noticed the time: 1:40 - 1:48 AM?! dayum!

Love the video.

It'd be really cool if you could make a video showing the entire development of the map but use either timelapse or film everything and speed it up. So over say 10 mins we get to see the map made from start to finish (with maybe an hour # timer at the top).

nice, I am very happy to see volcano will be back soon. As far as I remember, NOD had a turrent near the tunnel because it was always the first thing you had to destroy with an engineer rush ;) dont know if there were any def buildings for gdi....

• Totem Arts Staff

vid 2

Love the video.

It'd be really cool if you could make a video showing the entire development of the map but use either timelapse or film everything and speed it up. So over say 10 mins we get to see the map made from start to finish (with maybe an hour # timer at the top).

unfortunately i have limited space on my pc right now so i cant record everything i do as alot of it takes hours and i always take brakes to discuss things with the other devs (asking how the hell i do this and that lol) and to just stop my self from burning out i have tryed to show what i have done and how i did it (usually start it and finish it off camera) things like materials are mostly trial and error for me so i tend not to show the making of them .. but i am planing out how to do the landscape material soon maybe today if i have time (vid 6 i think it will be)

anyway hope you enjoy sorry i cant record everything i dont have terabyte's at my disposal :(

nice, I am very happy to see volcano will be back soon. As far as I remember, NOD had a turrent near the tunnel because it was always the first thing you had to destroy with an engineer rush ;) dont know if there were any def buildings for gdi....

Volcano is a non-defence map. No turrets, no Obelisk or AGT.

• Totem Arts Staff

it does look intimidating especially when you see the finished mat but if you work your way from start to finish for one texture its not so bad and you can start to see what things do ... remembering what they do and using the same type of set up is a challenge tho ... copy and paste from other mats is always easyer for me lol

too bad the material editor will be a on going thing for this map ... as i cant seem to get it right lol

While learning I do a map for RenegadeX ...

As for now I am using what the UDK offers ...

For a basic layout thats enough, but later you defo need to work on materials and textures

Basic material work i have already done ... but really basic only

Maybe I can find a german tutorial somewhere for that ...

Seriously, for me being a layman, I would be frustrated to do all that work you are doing. Learning the use of the tools, the inspiration you must have to create maps like so, the attention to detail. I do NOT envy you for your work.

These video's just give a small peak into the lives of a dev and make me feel bad if I have a bad thing to say about a certain aspect.

These video's demand respect from my side to yours, all the way. Gives a whole new vision about the work you are doing.

Cheers for it!

PS:

These vids are just about 1 single map, makes me just wondering about game mechanics and glitch fixing, must be even more frustrating and time consuming

Keep backup saves, helps when that sort of thing happens. Sorry to see that happen >.< I would have gotten lazy and bottlenecked the mouth of the tunnel and left the size alone, I admire you fixing it.

Posting this cross-forum for discussion both on RenX and on UDK Mapmaking. Maybe I can spark a UDK pro's interest in making RenX assets.

new one vid 15

finally making progress lol

I hope you are sarcastic saying "finally".

It looks realy great so far!

EDIT:

That last part when you removed the skylight and showed the tiberium, thats actually awesome! That's some proper green luminescence with that dark background! Realy looks like a radiated area.

it goes quick if you know how it works ... the basics are simple to learn but going deeper needs a lot of time ...

and not to forget, you need the assets .... the meshes and stuff ... that means you need someone who can use 3d moddeling programs and some texture skills ...

or you learn that as well ...

it is like playing an instrument, if you learned it, it is easy ...

Looking great so far. Really nice to see the progress. I especially like those slightly glowing lava rocks.

But I really hope it's not going to be as dark as Mesa (and Field in some parts of that map), sometimes I don't even see enemy units until my cursor is pointed at them in those maps.

Mesa is perfect imo and field is in fact too light but field does a better job at "legacy appeal" because old field was very light for a "night map" (I think westwood didn't want to chance unplayable dark levels)

Speaking of, is Volcano night or day? Even so, the darkness of the volcano and tunnel would allow for glowy orange effects on the lava.