Single Server Syndrome - Everyone joining one server

Mattrrrrrrrrr

While Renegade X is an absolute gem in almost every way, unfortunately, the people suffer from SSS (Single Server Syndrome). They will willingly sacrifice stability and latency to play in a server 7000km away just because there's other people in there. This is also the case for many other of the F2P first-person-shooters out there.

I did an experiment on this, several times. I joined an Aussie server with three of my mates, and literally in 5 minutes the server was full with Americans and Europeans, whinging and bitching about lag. I am not even joking, we even tried to explain things and say "join your country's server", and that was met with major hostility. There was also many cases where I've joined the Aussie server, and guess what? AUSSIES on the US servers have suddenly joined it! Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians, Aussies in an Aussie server? Here's a hot tip, RGX players - stay native and join your closest servers, and maybe you won't lag!

>Rage over

Now, I get that numbers aren't exactly the strongest right now, same as the original Renegade. But it doesn't mean you can't load up some Skill 6 bots and fill the gaps with the few guys from your country.

Bots are bad and just ruin any game they are in.

And I'd bet most people run solo. I'm not going to sit in an empty server until it fills up. Especially when you have less than an hour to give to the game. You just want a game with people in it and you just want to play.

Mind you, I don't bitch about my ping in a distant server. But heck, thats all I ever get to play, NA is dead. I only ever get to play in a distant server, otherwise I'd basically not play. I don't even enjoy the game when there's less than 30 players.

Problem is imho that most servers have set the maxplayers way too high. More than 20 players in a game basicly means brainless zerging and endless sieging. But it's often hard to find a server with a reasonable amount of like 8-20 players.

I don't think "matchmaking" as such is appropriate.

Instead what games like these needs is a way to put the community together.

For instance, some global chatting system. Thats always a good start to organize games with people that aren't playing.

Other ideas would be a system that allows people not playing to organize with each other (just more easily than just telling people). So you would spot someone that wants to play a game but needs more players before the game starts, and people join until there's enough, and they all join a specified server.

Thats probably overkill though. Just a global chat for everyone would do wonders for the community, however.

I don't think "matchmaking" as such is appropriate.

Instead what games like these needs is a way to put the community together.

For instance, some global chatting system. Thats always a good start to organize games with people that aren't playing.

There already is such a thing, it's called IRC (irc.remegade-x.com #renegadex) and the RenX launcher even has an IRC client built-in. Oh and what's that button I see at the top of the page, "IRC"? I wonder what that does? It's not hard to get on to and is quite easy to use in my opinion.

I wish people weren't only playing in marathon servers, I hate marathon servers and rarely see people playing in a server with a time limit of ~30-40mins (my preferred time limit). :(

PS. Sorry if this post seems hostile, I'm just trying to make my point that there is such a system and nobody is using it.

I posted long before the release that there needed to be a system to limit the servers shown on the list. It would have the community less scattered and offered more different types of server that would actually have players in it. I understand the reasons why this was not judged as possible though.

Imagine at any time there would be three or four eu servers shown (marathon and aow, some small and some big), two us servers and one aussi server. Only if the servers of a continent have at least 10 players then another empty server for that continent would show up.

I posted long before the release that there needed to be a system to limit the servers shown on the list. It would have the community less scattered and offered more different types of server that would actually have players in it. I understand the reasons why this was not judged as possible though.

Imagine at any time there would be three or four eu servers shown (marathon and aow, some small and some big), two us servers and one aussi server. Only if the servers of a continent have at least 10 players then another empty server for that continent would show up.

That does seem like a good idea but I can't see that working. Server owners would complain about how their server isn't being shown (by default, as I imagine showing "all servers" again would/should be an option as well) would be one issue in my opinion, if the servers were mostly 1st party servers instead of 3rd party servers that could work.

Another issue is that this would just encourage players to be joining the same servers they're joining now (look at the server browser over course of a few days and you'll see the same servers populated) which seems even more unfair to the servers that aren't getting any players.

• 2 weeks later...

right now looking at the server page there is one server with 20 people in it, and several hundred empty ones. Now unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious (there is another server list somewhere?) why would I want to sit in an empty server waiting for someone to show up?

right now looking at the server page there is one server with 20 people in it, and several hundred empty ones. Now unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious (there is another server list somewhere?) why would I want to sit in an empty server waiting for someone to show up?

What if I told you every server starts that way