40P Server? WHY??

Am i the only one, who is irritated by the 40 Player Servers?

Not only the fact, that there's no way for GDI to get a sneaky hit over the back entrance (like tunnels or smt else) - its just annoying that a hughe tactical Part is gone after 5 Minutes gaming.

I mean...why do you copy old Renegade maps while increasing the amount of Players at the same time?! This CANT work. Renegade does not convince with its graphic or the fact that it's F2P. The core of Renegade was the tactical gaming - attack and defense - trying to find a proper way between siege and sneak.

Yet? its just a pewpew shooter like everyone else (and not even a good one)...most maps decide by:

1.) APC rush right at the beginning (<5 Min)

2.) SBH nukes

3.) Siege

4.) Mammy/Flame Rush

Why i started this thread while speaking worst english ever seen?

Just wanna know, if other ppl thinking the same way. Let me know!

Lol @ thread. You're probably going to be displeased to hear that 40 is actually a temporary low player cap because of a lag issue. The intended player cap is actually 64.

However, different maps are designed for different amounts of players. So having 64 players on field is kind of crazy... but having 64 players on lakeside feels right at home.

There is no sweet spot for player counts in the game. It's all map-centric. This is one reason why I think there should be multiple versions of each map that are designed to cater to different player amounts.

I know that 40 is only the actual player cap, but i'm a classic Ren player and i guess if the cap gets increased on 64 or maybe more the game wont live long enough to expire different types for each map.

This game wont attract people if its just another shooter on steam. This market is way too hard in competition to games like battlefield etc.

The big difference is the tactical part with buildings and strategies, wich may affect a game more effective than just capturing a spawnpoint.

but if we keep playing like this, ren wont reach more than 200 Players at the same time and wont live long enough for version 2.0.

@SFJake

Its not about soloing something, its about buggys and APCs wich are gettn totally useless since there are 3 engis right beside every building! And its not a secret that in old ren both teams had the chance to win with siege as good as sneak/apc rush. now its gone...and sure, there are a few times u get something as gdi - but seriously, how often does that happen? 1 in 5 games?

Overall:

Sure - some Maps are designed for more players, but the problem - especially on maps without guard towers - with too many people EVERYWHERE is still actual. Old ren had a max to 32 Players, and even this was close to be too much on some maps. Its hard to find a sweet point, but its defnitly not 40P...

Tbh, the first week or two of Renegade X's public release had 64 player servers and I thought it was a lot of fun. I mean, small games have their merits as well... but I just don't think it's fair to compare the two since the density of people just changes how the game plays to such a degree that it's almost a different game mode.

Renegade had a few 128 player servers if I remember correctly.

• Totem Arts Staff

Not gonna' lie, as much as I liked 12v12 back in the old days, 40 seems like the new sweet spot. I honestly don't see it as too many people. It's 10 on offense, and 10 on defense for a smart team. 10 people is easily breakable if you're not just throwing yourself at them all willynilly. I still sneak into bases on Walls, and tank rushes still work if you just play with the enemy teams psyche. 40 is not that bad. 64 was a bit excessive IMO, but 20v20 is big enough to make sure there's competition, and small enough where you still can occasionally go outright commando. I've got more than enough solo-Hotwire building kills to prove the latter.

probably might need to keep it at 40, then you can have all the renegade-x players in 1 server. so disapointed in how badly this failed. actually fucking pisses me off simply for the fact that it took people who play the original renegade with it when it suicided.

The most fun I've had in Renegade-X was last night on field 1 v 2 and winning. I think I'd like 4 x 4 matches.

I agree that 20 v 20 is just a clusterfuck usually, even the most skilled players get thwarted by volumne of bads/bad timing. Although of course rushes do happen, and coordination does happen to.

Am i the only one, who is irritated by the 40 Player Servers?

Not only the fact, that there's no way for GDI to get a sneaky hit over the back entrance (like tunnels or smt else) - its just annoying that a hughe tactical Part is gone after 5 Minutes gaming.

I mean...why do you copy old Renegade maps while increasing the amount of Players at the same time?! This CANT work. Renegade does not convince with its graphic or the fact that it's F2P. The core of Renegade was the tactical gaming - attack and defense - trying to find a proper way between siege and sneak.

Yet? its just a pewpew shooter like everyone else (and not even a good one)...most maps decide by:

1.) APC rush right at the beginning (<5 Min)

2.) SBH nukes

3.) Siege

4.) Mammy/Flame Rush

Why i started this thread while speaking worst english ever seen?

Just wanna know, if other ppl thinking the same way. Let me know!

I agree with you. Original maps where though for 10vs10 matches. They were the most balances matches.

However, different maps are designed for different amounts of players. So having 64 players on field is kind of crazy... but having 64 players on lakeside feels right at home.

This. I always find myself regretting there aren't more people on Lakeside; with 10 infantry side and 24+ on field for both sides, Lakeside has a lot of potential.