The AOW points system

A-Rodge

Anyone who consistently plays AOW servers probably has an opinion about this game's point system. This was one of the many ports from the old version that may be in a need of a little refinement.

A few angles of contention:

- Even if you make a comeback, it can be difficult to take the lead in points again, sometimes impossible. A turtling team can often hold out until they win by default.

- The disparity of rewards. I get 10 points for killing an enemy 1000g sniper, but I can "farm" upwards of 500 for hitting an enemy building repeatedly.

- Teamplay. The only point reward for being a teamplayer is for camping out and healing a besieged building or getting a small stream of points for healing a tank. I feel that healers need to be better recognized, when healing tanks AND infantry.

These are just a few observations that come to mind. I really enjoy AOW, it feels like a neck to neck race to the finish. But there are aspects that feel unfair at times.

What do you think? Is this system good as is, or does it need an overhaul?

I think it's good as is.

Points is something nice and makes it competitive, but I feel there is no reward anyway. Well, there are those who log in with Steam and get tracked that way (how do they do that?! I have steam for another game, but doesnt detect Ren X :( )

Winning as a team is what makes me tick. More often than not am I "that camper" who hangs back to watch out for the base (e.g. mining as a hotwire and flying around with an Orca shooting at chokepoints or sniping those techies/hotties/engineers from the wayyy back so those assaulting tanks have no healers)

I don't worry about points that much, then again, points = credits = better gear.

My advice? Play covertly/stealthly/with BRAINS and don't get killed, you'd be amazed how fast you get credits.

I estimate the following through gameplay experience: 2/sec when ref is up --> 120/min --> 600/5min; within 5 minutes probably a harvester unloads --> 1k/5min credits STANDARD! on top of that the credits by shooting/killing enemies.

My advice again? Make it a sport NOT to get killed. Then again, as a defender, backing to a PT is pretty easy, but if you are in the field shooting with a vehicle, it MIGHT be handy to be an engineer or hotwire/techy and repair your own vehicle. Won't get you credits repairing a "neutral" vehicle, but atleast you won't die to purchase a new one.

I think it's good as is.

Points is something nice and makes it competitive, but I feel there is no reward anyway. Well, there are those who log in with Steam and get tracked that way (how do they do that?! I have steam for another game, but doesnt detect Ren X :( )

Winning as a team is what makes me tick. More often than not am I "that camper" who hangs back to watch out for the base (e.g. mining as a hotwire and flying around with an Orca shooting at chokepoints or sniping those techies/hotties/engineers from the wayyy back so those assaulting tanks have no healers)

I don't worry about points that much, then again, points = credits = better gear.

My advice? Play covertly/stealthly/with BRAINS and don't get killed, you'd be amazed how fast you get credits.

I estimate the following through gameplay experience: 2/sec when ref is up --> 120/min --> 600/5min; within 5 minutes probably a harvester unloads --> 1k/5min credits STANDARD! on top of that the credits by shooting/killing enemies.

My advice again? Make it a sport NOT to get killed. Then again, as a defender, backing to a PT is pretty easy, but if you are in the field shooting with a vehicle, it MIGHT be handy to be an engineer or hotwire/techy and repair your own vehicle. Won't get you credits repairing a "neutral" vehicle, but atleast you won't die to purchase a new one.

Think you may have the wrong end of the stick. He's not talking about credits, he is on about points. In AOW after the time limit is reached, the team that wins is the one with the most points not credits.

Points only serve as a reflection to completing the main objective. From my understand you get more points for killing than for healing. Points are rewarded for directly doing useful things. When you make a comeback and can't get enough points for killing the buildings then that just means you were being outplayed while the other team had the push.

Killing expensive infantry is actually a good way to get points too. Free classes are worth 5 points but I know for sure that killing a hottie or tech is worth 50+. I can imagine that the 1k classes give a lot more points than "10", probably atleast 120+. Damaging buildings and repairing buildings gives the most points, as they should since that is the main objective of the game.

This doesn't mean that the top scored player is the BEST player, it just means that he is contributing the most to the team. It's fine right now.

Now if only matrixren AoW didn't have 1hour long games.

I think it's good as is.

Think you may have the wrong end of the stick. He's not talking about credits, he is on about points. In AOW after the time limit is reached, the team that wins is the one with the most points not credits.

I understand his point.

I explained how I thought of things (it was his question, wasn't it?)

I explained what I have observed of the link between points and credits. One might get more points but also gets credits for killing enemies.

At this moment though, I don't see the point of winning or losing a match. Sure, winning is more fun and satisfying, but who keeps track? I'm more keeping an eye of the list, you know, points and K/D in the total game?

My goal usually is to reach the top 5 when attacking and top 10 when defending (in a 20v20 game). But no one keeps track, so why bother? I don't see the fun in hanging out in an artillery/MRLS spamming the s$%t out of a single building thats being repaired internally. I'd rather take a bit more risky position by shooting at those locations where they are most likely to repair a building (HoN hitting the wall above the MCT, airstrip shooting at the door hoping it opens and kill a few ppl, same with WF and bar)

But better yet, when attacking, I'd likely hang back at a covered sniping spot while informing people to put a nuke/ion at an exposed area, so I can snipe-defend it from a distance. Support is a nice role to get points, just not the top 1 in any game type.

It is no secret that the current points system is pretty heavily flawed. In renegade, the total points you get for killing a unit is 10% of the cost of that unit (from full health to death). It is also 50% repair points for damage dealt. In renegade x, the points for killing a unit are far too low. The points for repairing is somewhere around 66-75% I've been told (it is noticeably increased). It worked well in renegade, and I think the only adjustment they should make in the points system should be a slightly less point reward for damaging buildings (and repairing them, since it is 50% of that). I also think that the pointsfix being implemented needs to be revisited. I'm all for the pointsfix, but shrapnel warhead points should be increased (autorifle, pistol, shotgun) to do 20* the amount they currently do to heavy armored vehicles, so as to allow for credit earning when the refinery is dead by means of something other than just repairing (pointsfix servers all died out in renegade - let's not make that same mistake).