My first impressions

DerkThunder

I was just shown this game by an old friend who I introduced to CNC renegade many years ago. I spent a huge portion of my teenage years playing Renegade, and in recent years I've been very depressed that it's multiplayer community has been dying, and now I can't even find a copy of the game that actually works. Side note, EA's Origin sucks.

Anyways, this last year or so I've wanted to play some renegade but couldn't and it really sucked. But when I saw this game it got me really excited that a new generation of gamers could get to enjoy this incredible gem of a game. And this totally revives hope for a full fledged sequel.

However, there are some departures from the original that I find disconcerting. The bullets are supposed to travel at light speed, but you guys screwed that up. Also I can no longer glitch and gain access to purchase terminals through walls! A sprint button? CURVED EDGES!?! WTF!?! You would think these developers never actually played the original Renegade.

But all kidding aside Renegade was a game we loved in spite of it's whack shooting mechanics, and glitchy nature. And I'm glad to see it getting the level of polish that it's always deserved.

All of the weapons that had instant hit (hitscan) bullets still have hitscan bullets in Renegade X. Everything that isn't hitscan in Renegade X was also not hitscan in Renegade. So if it was instant-hit in Renegade, it is instant-hit in Renegade X. No changes have been made regarding that (well... it's as similar as it could be considering it's a whole new engine.)

Another person who thinks the guns aren't hitscan.

This should be looked into, quite a few people have complained specifically about this or mentioned that the bullet speeds don't feel the same as in the original. Simply saying "the guns in Ren X are hitscan" isn't going to cut it.

I believe this could be due to the different engines or something. If that's the case then there's really nothing that can be done about it.

Yeah the bullets really don't feel like they are doing an instahit.

But, that could just be my perceptions because so much of the other shooting mechanics were changed.

Like bullet spread. In the old renegade NONE of the guns had their bullets spread out over a distance (with the exception of the useless shotgun), they were all 100% accurate. So patches tiberium pistol was just as accurate as the basic infantry rifle, which was just as accurate as Deadeye's sniper. So really it came down to the guns range, damage, and the aim of the person using it.

Also, none of the guns in the original had any recoil. In this re-make when I take the basic infantry rifle, not only do the bullets end up flying all over the place, but the aimer climbs higher and higher as you shoot.

Personally, I did not like this as I feel it affects the balance of the game. The infantry rifle was never great in the old game, but in this one it feels truly useless, especially at a distance.

I think that's why they added the free marksman class, but still I would have just preferred it to play like the original in that regards.

Although, constructive criticism aside, I'm still very happy to see whats been done with this game. And I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements are made.

P.S. Do stealth units flicker and become visible when they take damage? I shot a stealth tank but didn't notice it flicker. If not that definitely needs to get fixed, as shooting around your base in a sweeping pattern was the only good way to prevent SBH's sneaking in. Again even if they do flicker this technique of sweeping the base looking for stealth units becomes much harder with the bullet spread mentioned earlier. Something like making the bullets spread out in a cone, affects the balance of the game in so many ways.

In the old renegade NONE of the guns had their bullets spread out over a distance (with the exception of the useless shotgun), they were all 100% accurate.

WEll, the shotty could be fun for tunnel matches. Its pretty satisfying headshotting a havoc or two be fore going down. I'm talking marathon matches.

But the Assault Rifle had a cone of fire. It had spread. The Chaingun, and I think Laser Chaingun also had a slight spread. There must have been a couple other weapons that had a slight spread too.

"But the Assault Rifle had a cone of fire. It had spread. The Chaingun, and I think Laser Chaingun also had a slight spread. There must have been a couple other weapons that had a slight spread too."

I just went back into the old renegade to test this. And you are correct there is an ever so slight spread to the assault rifle. But nothing like in the new version.

Also there definitely isn't any recoil in the original. I stand by my statement that shooting the mechanics have been changed too much, and it affects the balance of the game.

I've played a lot more RenX since my original post, and I think now my biggest issues (game play wise) has to do with fine tuning the weapons for balance reasons. Mainly the range of guns, and vehicles just doesn't feel right. It seems like I need to practically drive my vehicles inside the enemy base just to be in range to shoot the buildings. The MRLS and Mobile Arty specifically. Those used to be long range bombardment weapons, that will work from practically anywhere. Not in this game.

Also balance wise, the MRLS vs Mobile Arty isn't fair at all. I feel they need to either A.) remove the vehicle lock option for the MRLS, or B.) Remove the projectile drop factor for the mobile arty. It makes it way too easy for the MRLS to aim at moving targets, and way too hard for the arty.

If two mobile artillery are fighting one MRLS from a distance, the mrls will kill both of them before the mobile arties can even land a few hits. I know back in the original renegade the mobile Arty was much more powerful than the mrls just because it was easier to aim. But I always thought that was ok because NOD's vehicles weren't as good overall. So a slightly more powerful long range vehicle that was easier to aim was ok with me.

But it feels whack when I have to drive hella close with an MRLS just to bombard the enemy base. I should be able to hang back from a distance, and bombard whatever I'm shooting at without getting too close. In the original the long range of the arty and mrls was balanced out by their lack of armor. But here their range sucks, and they weren't given any extra armor to compensate.

Lastly, a bigger issue than any of that is the overall stability of the game. My game constantly crashes, my monitor constantly stops receiving signal from my video card in the middle of game-play, and the rubber-band lag is terrible.