ETA on new maps?

MechanicalMan

Apparently, Complex is in the work and is planned for the next update. (Thats no guarantee it'll be there.)

I don't know much about Canyon, City, Volcano and Under, but I know they want them all in one day or another.

I know I can't wait to have both Complex and Volcano in game, here's to hoping Volcano is the next. Then I'd say City, but they had mappers trouble there, if I recall correctly.

Apparently, Complex is in the work and is planned for the next update. (Thats no guarantee it'll be there.)

I don't know much about Canyon, City, Volcano and Under, but I know they want them all in one day or another.

I know I can't wait to have both Complex and Volcano in game, here's to hoping Volcano is the next. Then I'd say City, but they had mappers trouble there, if I recall correctly.

I'd say Volcano and Canyon both need the SBH fix prior for those maps, as they have bases without basedefense.

I'm redoing my old Metro map, but I'm waiting on the tools to come out (assuming they ever do) before I really put any serious effort into it.

Oh snap son! That would be even better than Glacier! Even though it isn't as unique as glacier, at least we have the hourglass wannabe map has snow. So this would be bawss, getting Metro. You would have my undying appreciation!

whats the matter with the name Xmountain ? what should it be called autumn ? fall ? all the leaves are brown and the sky is gray ?

its a remake of a custom map in the old ut3 renegade-x mod

Right, so why not remake the name so it's less... blah? Why not Ridge or something along those lines? "xmountain" just makes no sense as a name. I could get behind mountain, but xmountain? What's that supposed to be?

Here, try this great list of names with a similar meaning:

bluff

peak

pile

ridge

sierra

abundance

alp

bank

butte

crag

dome

drift

eminence

glob

heap

mass

mesa

mound

mount

palisade

pike

precipice

range

stack

• Like 1

I haven't seen the vague images you're alluding to either, but then again I don't get the secrecy behind making free games. You might as well just show us what you're working on instead of alluding to it lol

It's not like there's some trade secret behind map design, no competitors are going to steal your ideas.

• Like 1

Maps should have a logical name to associate the map with.

One does not simply call a map in a snowy-mountain theme "City"

"Yeah, lets play city map you guys! Urban fights are awesome!" -Ends up on a snowy mountain-

The X probably stands for the intention of implementing it in Renegade X, should be removed when the map's finished imo

I haven't seen the vague images you're alluding to either, but then again I don't get the secrecy behind making free games. You might as well just show us what you're working on instead of alluding to it lol

It's not like there's some trade secret behind map design, no competitors are going to steal your ideas.

ever heared about something called a surprise?

whether it ends as good or as bad surprise does not matter .. it is a surprise ...

some people like it, some people like to do it ... others don't

Honestly, at the rate this project is going, it needs to drum up interest and the best way to do that is to release regular updates so that people continue to visit to see what's coming down the pike. Player counts went down dramatically, which is a shame, but getting them back requires letting people know what's going on. Surprises are pretty pointless TBH

• Like 1

you got a point there ...

but i believe that the low playercount does mean that those who tried already are not following the project ...

the most are turned down by the crashes ...

it is not so much the contend ...

everybody knows that they are working on making the game stable ...

releasing a lot of content pictures or notes could make people think they have the wrong prioritities

and after all ... it is just a name ... as long as there is a mountain it does fit ...

They have to keep a lot of secrets because things are added and removed all the time. If their development was an open book, they'd lose people who liked certain concepts that were later scrapped. Keeping it under wraps allows them to control the information that's released so that only definite additions to the game are revealed.

Also, bursts of new information are more appealing then steady bits of evolving progress. People don't care that some modeler finished the torso of a character model... they care that they finished the whole thing.

Here is my estimated level of completion for each new map:

CNC-Complex: 85%

CNC-Mountain: 90%

CNC-Under: 40%

As for an ETA, expect them by this summer. Though, before we release the new maps to everybody, they require some level of more focused testing to ensure they are not completely awful when they are released to the full player-base. Then, after their full release, we can implement the community's feedback, and improve/balance them to the best of our ability.

• Totem Arts Staff
If you're putting Under in, please do something with it that allows for multiple entrances to the bases with vehicles. Otherwise it's just Field with snow and I don't think modern gaming can handle two maps of that kind of frustrating quality.

I hate Field, I'm building Under, it's been discussed and is taken care of.

Glad to hear Under won't really S the D when it comes out - at least, if it does, it won't be because of a lack of entrances this time around.

Think you can rework Field to fix that stuff too? The whole "we fight in canyons with no way in or out and only place our bases right next to one another with conveniently placed mountains separating us" thing is rather 2002ish ;)

I think field is fine and too many people complain about it (the only exception is marathon servers because if you lose a vital building like airstrip when they have AGT,you can be on the map until you get enough tank crates). Take the field back and organise your team!

Just curious, how many development hours does it take to build these maps for an experienced map developer? The detail is amazing so far!

Are there going to be any patches in between the release of the new maps this summer? Would love to have more glitch fixes and more polish. Some people find the crashing very deterring.

I believe the glich fixes are main priority for mappers ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff
Just curious, how many development hours does it take to build these maps for an experienced map developer? The detail is amazing so far!

Really depends... the process of placement / landscape painting is relatively fast if you have a good selection of models, textures and materials to work with. You can get a map up and running within a few days.

If you want specific materials and special effects you'll have to create those yourself usually.

Lighting idem but you'll have to tweak and wait a lot for lighting compiles.

After that polish phase is endless... new bugs crop up, custom materials and collisions will have to be made, fixes here, fixes there.

AI will have to be setup too, fortunately that is a relatively simple process but you'll spend a good day making exceptions and getting the correct nodes in.

In general though, creating maps for RX is a lot faster now since we've built up a library of stuff... when we just started you have to take modeling and everything that comes with it into account since our artists had to do basically everything.

Really depends... the process of placement / landscape painting is relatively fast if you have a good selection of models, textures and materials to work with. You can get a map up and running within a few days.

If you want specific materials and special effects you'll have to create those yourself usually.

Lighting idem but you'll have to tweak and wait a lot for lighting compiles.

After that polish phase is endless... new bugs crop up, custom materials and collisions will have to be made, fixes here, fixes there.

AI will have to be setup too, fortunately that is a relatively simple process but you'll spend a good day making exceptions and getting the correct nodes in.

In general though, creating maps for RX is a lot faster now since we've built up a library of stuff... when we just started you have to take modeling and everything that comes with it into account since our artists had to do basically everything.

Hello Nielsen, I would really like to design some levels for Renegade X. I have experiences with making maps since 2010 and my creativity never ends ( :D ). I also could make content for your mappers with modelling-software.

So if you need a new mapper, I would like to do so.

Greetings, Koni