Stealth tanks

TP|himselfXD

Hello I can't seem to see why but it seems you have made the most important vehicle for nod completely worthless in combat. This amazing vehicle used to keep balance in the game between gdi and nod in the original and in Renegade X the stank isn't used much at all. I have heard the whole "It locks on to vehicles" argument this maybe true but so did the one in renegade.(it poorly locked on but it did)

Here is a list of the problems it has:

-clumsy (used to be the most maneuverable tank)

-Slow (much faster in the original even with the vehicle sprint)

-Does very little damage

-Worthless against almost all vehicles

-No one uses it (it used to be one of the most popular nod vehicles)

-And now to add to it's worthlessness it is easier to spot

Edited by Guest

They are good at ambushing light vehicles, Orcas, and running over infantry.

In a tank battle, they are there to provide an "extra punch", and for the psychological warfare.

A good Stealth Tank can make GDI go paranoid and spam the ground with shells and bullets.

An MRLS will think twice before going in alone & unprotected.

The major drawback though, is that its heavily dependant on your team for distraction.

Otherwise the moment you uncloak everybody targets you like crazy.

Worth the cost? Hell no, most of the time. Light Tanks and Artillery will always be the bread and butter.

But they are a decent choice if your team already has field control.

They are good at ambushing light vehicles, Orcas, and running over infantry.

In a tank battle, they are there to provide an "extra punch", and for the psychological warfare.

A good Stealth Tank can make GDI go paranoid and spam the ground with shells and bullets.

An MRLS will think twice before going in alone & unprotected.

The major drawback though, is that its heavily dependant on your team for distraction.

Otherwise the moment you uncloak everybody targets you like crazy.

Worth the cost? Hell no, most of the time. Light Tanks and Artillery will always be the bread and butter.

But they are a decent choice if your team already has field control.

The light tank is far weaker in Renegade x as well and you are wrong have you played the original game? The stank is one of most important vehicles for nod in the original. The arty and light suck against everything gdi throws at it. Saying the light and the arty is the "bread and butter" is ridiculous when a mammoth and med are GDI's bread and butter.

Edited by Guest

I can't tell you how many times I like to push forward with a tank to finish off a retreating opponent, and when in that time I decide I'm safe to move somewhere a stealth tank starts blasting me, they screwed me. I think some people underestimate the surprise factor in tank battles, since there is nothing worst than getting caught in a bad position. Tank battles is all about positioning.

It can just get tricky especially in how some maps are laid out, to make full use of the stealth tank. A lack of vehicle routes is a real problem for stealth tanks.

The stank is one of most important vehicles for nod in the original.

Every vehicle is important to some degree, it depends on the situation.

But the Light Tank is the backbone of Nod forces because of how flexible it is, Stealth Tank is an extremely situational tank. And it's definately not more important than the Artillery.

The arty and light suck against everything gdi throws at it.

???

Saying the light and the arty is the "bread and butter" is ridiculous when a mammoth and med are GDI's bread and butter.

Medium Tank and MRLS.

@SFJake:

That's why Lakeside is so good for stealth units. It's big and open.

All I am asking for is a stealth tank that acts like the one in the original game is that too much? The original was much better balanced than this and I think the vehicles were made a certain way for a reason. Go play the original ren with a stealth tank and then play renegade x with it you will see that they nerfed the shit out of the stealth tank.

All I am asking for is a stealth tank that acts like the one in the original game is that too much? The original was much better balanced than this and I think the vehicles were made a certain way for a reason. Go play the original ren with a stealth tank and then play renegade x with it you will see that they nerfed the shit out of the stealth tank.

Yeah I agree it's a bit lackluster now.

But claiming it's the most important Nod vehicle is wrong, lol.

Tanks and artillery are the main force of the front. It's more the hype that everyone has to use stanks while a light tank would be more usefull.

In my opinion stanks are real "hit and run" units, like seeing an enemy vehicle (damaged) retreating and then the stank finish it off. or it crawls behind the enemy front line and runs over the techy's :P I do not see it as a main battle tank..

Ps: I do agree that it can use abit more power, it shouldn't have alot of armor but i think it should give out a big hit once it decloakes.

Good stanking is harrassment. Taking out damaged vehicles is the easiest payofff, but a good stank can be useful to distract and piss off enemy tanks. If I shoot you a couple of times while your turret is turned and then run away behind cover you either have to come after me to get a hit in or you retreat to repair. Once I'm cloaked again I get the surprise factor again which means that if you are slow to retreat or come to attack me I can probably kill you before you get me even in a head to head fight (unless a mammy).

Stanks are not meant to stand toe to toe with tanks. They are meant to be annoying assholes who exploit other tanks not knowing they are there or where they have gone. The only weakness in this is braindead maps like Field that have no tank strategies other than: see tank shoot tank run when hurt (if you can get away). All fields should have line of sight broken up more than Field does. Otherwise the tank battles are just back and forth sieges.

The only things stanks need changed is the rockets. They are far less useful than in original Ren. They lock on more sure, but they fire slowly and spread out. It's way too easy to waste one or both rockets because of how they come out.

Good stanking is harrassment. Taking out damaged vehicles is the easiest payofff, but a good stank can be useful to distract and piss off enemy tanks. If I shoot you a couple of times while your turret is turned and then run away behind cover you either have to come after me to get a hit in or you retreat to repair. Once I'm cloaked again I get the surprise factor again which means that if you are slow to retreat or come to attack me I can probably kill you before you get me even in a head to head fight (unless a mammy).

Stanks are not meant to stand toe to toe with tanks. They are meant to be annoying assholes who exploit other tanks not knowing they are there or where they have gone. The only weakness in this is braindead maps like Field that have no tank strategies other than: see tank shoot tank run when hurt (if you can get away). All fields should have line of sight broken up more than Field does. Otherwise the tank battles are just back and forth sieges.

The only things stanks need changed is the rockets. They are far less useful than in original Ren. They lock on more sure, but they fire slowly and spread out. It's way too easy to waste one or both rockets because of how they come out.

Agree completely. Stanks are not front line vehicles. There is a time and place. And while they do feel more fragile than they used to, I find that, used for flanking and harassment, they are still quite effective. But I would agree that the rockets are a tad too squirrelly. All too often my first shot doesn't go close to where I intended.

In the original, a skilled stealth tank could take out a mediocre medium tank. That's no longer the case. In RenX as a stank, I don't dare engage a med tank unless it's nearly dead.

Also in the original, a single stealth tank could reach the AGT on most maps. Now, due to either the reduced speed or weakened armor, that's also no longer the case.

I realize this is RenX and new rules apply. But I find that the only time I use a stank is on Whiteout, generally as a stealth apc for my tech. I rarely engage buildings with it because it's so quickly destroyed.

I'd say it needs to be faster with more armor.

Yesterday i used it to scare some people away, some MLRS's were harassing the HoN. (4 of them :P) So i got a Stank and drove towards them to shoot at them. Actually worked as distraction because they started shooting at me instead of the HoN :P (and i just backed away slowly behind a wall, got stealth back and did it again from another position)

In that case the Stank is pretty good as it is, if you want it to be an assault vehicle then yes.. It would need more speed and armor.. But because it isn't a frontline vehicle it should be faster then it already is imo

rockets are screwed. Even with new lock on you miss some shots cause the rockets pathing is pretty dumb. As said in the original you could easily take on a med if you dodged the shots but in ren x it's harder even though both tanks require the exact same amount of shots to kill each other (7 for med and 11 for stank I believe)

I thought Stanks were useless until I spent a bit more time using one last night. I harassed MRLS, destroyed a few, stealthed, repaired and did a few hit and runs on medium tanks. I even took on a Mammy for a while before retreating. I also used it to run over the engineers repairing vehicles.

I have a new found respect for Stanks now but I think they could benefit from being a little faster and with a bit more fire power. They are now one of my favourites.

Edit: I almost took out a Mammy with a Stank. I circled it point blank and it couldn't do anything. I ran over the engineers as I did this but they managed to get me lol.

Edited by Guest

Guys, I was just playing as Nod Vs GDI about 14 Vs 14 and I suggested a Stank rush. We had about 10 Stanks and took out the GDI Ref. The enemy team said ''That's the first successful Stank rush ive ever seen on Renegade X'' lol.

It really made a nice change to the Flame Tank Rushes and things were so busy on the battlefield that we snuck by many medium Tanks and MRLS on the way, resisting any attacks until absolutely necessary. I had someone else Take Point since someone else knew better as to what GDI had left as a target.

The second rush was a mix of Stanks, Flame Tanks, an APC and an Apache. While we distracted GDI with the Stanks, someone placed a beacon. We used the Stanks to run over engineers and to harrass anything in sight. By the time I was dead, it was too late for GDI.

Do not underestimate Stanks, they cause paranoia and can easily take on MRLS and a poorly defended Mammy at close range.

Guys, I was just playing as Nod Vs GDI about 14 Vs 14 and I suggested a Stank rush. We had about 10 Stanks and took out the GDI Ref. The enemy team said ''That's the first successful Stank rush ive ever seen on Renegade X'' lol.

I was in that game! I'm the one who said, "That was well executed, I tip my hat to you Nod"

My game froze up and crashed during the beacon, so I'm not sure what happened next, but I'm sure Nod won the match.

I was in that game! I'm the one who said, "That was well executed, I tip my hat to you Nod"

My game froze up and crashed during the beacon, so I'm not sure what happened next, but I'm sure Nod won the match.

Mine crashed as well, I remember you saying that!

I think it must have been the Nod beacon explosion. After the successful rush, I noticed that more people were choosing Stanks in general, even in later games and on the next map.

They are my favourite vehicle but they can be a bit cumbersome to control at times or maybe I just need more practice. I bet a Stank rush was the last thing you guys expected lol.

It's almost always flame tanks which can obviously be easily seen, very slow and easy to target.

Versus anything lighter than a medium tank, the stank is still deadly. However, I can't stand using them because of how they drive; it's like you're slipping on ice instead of driving a tank.

Their lock-on accuracy for tanks/aircraft should be reduced somewhat I think, and infantry lock-on should be better; they're pretty much useless against infantry atm, but incredibly overpowered against orcas. Any other vehicle, the orca has a chance of living with a smart driver, but it's nigh impossible against a half-assedly positioned stank. Stank health should also be increased a bit.

Stanks are Nod's primary AA vehicles most of the time, though a rush of 6+ Stanks should never be taken lightly. But I haven't seen that happen for quite a while.

I tend to go for Ftank rush to take the AGT down and then encourage the team to use Stanks. Most will only think of using Ftanks for both.

After a few bouts, I can confidently say that Stanks are terrible against infantry. Those rockets just don't hit their target, even when they're "locked."

Unfortunately I have to agree on this one. The only way Stanks are useful against infantry is when they haven't detected your presence and you run them over. I tried to run some over after detection but it didn't work out too well.

Hi all, new to the forum but not the game. I agree that the STANKS aren't AS good as the original but being one of the few people on the servers who played all those few years ago you can tell the new players from the old ones.

The new guys go toe to toe against GDI. The oldies sneak 5 or 6 into their base or hide around the repair areas and finish off damaged tanks before they can be fixed. Because of the STANK and SBH Nod really do have an advantage on maps without base defences. It's just a shame more people don't take advantage of that. I've lost count the number of times a bad NOD team has lost on Walls and Whiteout because they have tried to take GDI on directly and/or wasted all their money on apache helicopters.

• Totem Arts Staff

I was the one who said that was the first successful Stank rush I'd seen in RenX. Seriously, I counted 4 of you at the entrance.. relayed STANKS in our base... then somehow there were like 10 of you. Yeah... when Stanks do what they're supposed to, it's scary as hell to be on the receiving end.

Hahaha, I can only imagine being on the receiving end of that. I always try to encourage Stank rushs once the AGT or main base defenses are down but people are usually very resistant.

However, I think I see more Stank use overall but only on the main field. The other day the Hon was getting absolutely pounded by MRLS but no one was trying to take them down. I took out quite a few and scared of the others with just one Stank. I still need more time to get used to driving them but I will always promote them when I can. I'm fed up of Flame tank rushes lol.

I was just playing as Nod on a 12 Vs 12 or more and we repeatedly failed Flame Tank rushes against the AGT, it must have been at least two or three times but we just barely managed to take out their WF.

I never suggest Stank rushes when the AGT is still alive but this time, we ended up doing a Stank rush anyway. We took out the AGT with Stanks and it appeared that the lack of armour was made up with by the extra speed. With the Flame Tanks, by the time we got to the middle of the base, we were almost dust but the Stanks extra speed allowed us to survive for longer.

Yo mate, (Sean here)

Everyone has to remember that Renegade X is still in beta, everything isn't going to be perfect, so there's going to be bugs here and there. The developers are certainly aware of the concerns of you guys, if they agree or not, that's upto them. I'm sure the stealth tank will get some more love though!

Stealth tanks are a vital part of Nod's strategy - I'm sure we can all recall doing stank rushes in C&C Renegade ( for those that actually played it ;) ). Getting anything perfect is hard, as there's always going to be players that like/dislike it for whatever reason, the developers can only do what they can.

I don't understand why the rockets spread out after you fire them. They sometimes hit an obstacle or even the ground before reaching the target.

This is why I never use the stank, the rockets go all over the goddamn place they should just go in a nice straight line.

Tbh, I seem to recall the rockets of the Stank working the same way in the original game. I'd overshoot stuff in the original Renegade with stanks the same as I overshoot stuff in Renegade X. They just fire upwards and have a slow turn rate... causing you to almost always miss targets in close range.

Tbh I like the fact flame tanks are actually used now. In Ren flamers were horrible in most situations. You were nearly always better off buying a stank. In renx I feel both have their use now.

I wouldn't say that. The Stank really fell out of use in Ren X even though it was a terrifying menace in old Renegade. It's the flamers that are often the desired base-rushing vehicle-I rarely see Stanks being used now.

Sometimes i laugh at Ftank rushes.. Since they are also being used in a map like whiteout.. which is kinda open.. Which means they are sitting ducks and when there are some defenders around they usually dont make it through the gates :P The type of rushes should be different per map, adjusting to the circumstances. Like on whiteout i've seen Ftanks getting owned before they could actually do anything but Stanks comming down from the hillside and actually destroy a building or two :P (mostly because we litterally didnt see them comming lol)

So Stanks and Ftanks are both good, however they wont work well on all the maps. And i like that you need to switch strategy :D