Rene-X Game Mod: Build the base - Like in Empires (HL2-Mod)

GDIViperM

hmm... well on W3d engine it would bring up lots of problem... but I wonder how it would be in UT3 engine though... though one of the problems would still be that the matches could be drawn out indefinitely, and you don't really feel you cripple the other team by killing a building as they soon get it back anyway...

Tiberium Genesis has had a rich history of base building and had a completely working system in their last version on I believe Operation Flashpoint.

Game modes like infiltrate the enemy base(s) or build your own base(s).[/b]

• Totem Arts Staff

You won't be able to build/rebuild in the mod, because that's just not Renegade. Destroying a building isn't easy in Renegade, it would suck if a team spent a lot of effort trying to destroy a building, then seeing it rebuilt a few minutes later. Being crippled by the destruction of buildings is one of Renegade's key ideas.

Amazing some people dont read the topics, i'll touch on this though :rolleyes:

We might have a mode where u can set them up in the beginning much like empires, with a commander. Sgt. may (former member) wanted to do something like this, but hes not around and there isnt much interest on my behalf nor the teams... I can think of many more gamemodes which would be alot more fun then a commander mode with base building... but, u never know.

ah ok mighty bob! sounds cool.

NEFobbyGEN:

First, I said just a mod, AOW rocks ;) and Renegade is C&C don't forget that! I can play Call of Duty or CS or UT if I want a ego-shooter game. But I think in a C&C game you must have the chance to play C&C ;) also in 3D ego! So you can keep up the nice Gameplay when you for example reset the cost of a new building if its once destroyed or you make it impossible to build it twice in a Map... or something else... AND VERY IMPORTANT it dont have to be a Commander Game! every player have maybe 2 Building credits and he can build 2 Buildings maybe and he needs of corse some gamepoints... and this in a given sector.. (like in the normal C&C taktik games...) aiiight? so... it is possible to build 2 Ref or 2 AGT's maybe the cost will increase or so... you can make a good GamePlay with Building constructions...

@ Titan1x77:

read in NEFobby ;) and what other mods??? CTF can i play in UT ^^

• Totem Arts Staff
First, I said just a mod, AOW rocks wink.gif and Renegade is C&C don't forget that! I can play Call of Duty or CS or UT if I want a ego-shooter game. But I think in a C&C game you must have the chance to play C&C[/b]

Yes I understood what you meant, I am just saying that the idea of building and rebuilding structures, although cool and very c&cish, wouldn't work in Renegade. But who knows, like Titan said, we might consider the idea again in the future.

and what other mods??? CTF can i play in UT ^^[/b]

It's a different kind of CTF idea, so it's not like the traditional one. We'll reveal more when we've started on it ;)

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Jul 17 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I understood what you meant, I am just saying that the idea of building and rebuilding structures, although cool and very c&cish, wouldn't work in Renegade. But who knows, like Titan said, we might consider the idea again in the future.[/b]

if you havent played savage you should try that ...
for the case you will think about something like that

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Jul 17 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a different kind of CTF idea, so it's not like the traditional one. We'll reveal more when we've started on it ;) [/b]

capture the mobius ? :blink: :P :lol: ;):rolleyes:

... btw ...
i like rebuyable turrets

OT
turrets should be a serveroption for maps without a major basedefense, like islands ...

@ NEFobbyGEN:

why you can say, it wouldn't work ^^ it will!! ;) you just must have someone who can code that... If you would play "Empires" (HL2-mod) you would change your opinion, its realy very cool... (or this "savage").

pm: have a look at my map Meadow it makes the first place in a mapcontest in CnC-HQ(.com) and was favorited on UNRULES.COM server... look in the signatur :P

@ omega

ok I will check this game or mod out if I can play it free! :)

and replacable def-towers rocks!! that is one thing that i miss in some renegade maps ;)

• Totem Arts Staff
why you can say, it wouldn't work ^^ it will!! wink.gif you just must have someone who can code that... If you would play "Empires" (HL2-mod) you would change your opinion, its realy very cool... (or this "savage").

pm: have a look at my map Meadow it makes the first place in a mapcontest in CnC-HQ(.com) and was favorited on UNRULES.COM server... look in the signatur[/b]

I told you why it wouldn't work:

"Destroying a building isn't easy in Renegade, it would suck if a team spent a lot of effort trying to destroy a building, then seeing it rebuilt a few minutes later. Being crippled by the destruction of buildings is one of Renegade's key ideas."

Plus, this would mean that we'd need a Construction Yard to rebuild stuff, right? Then don't you think everyone's just going to concentrate on defending the construction yard instead of other buildings? Not a good gameplay element if there's only one "weak point" in the game, because that makes it too easy to defend and too hard to destroy.

Empires is a good mod, but it's different from Renegade and what we want in Renegade X. Empires is also relatively slow based and complicated, while Renegade is quick and easy to play.

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Jul 17 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I told you why it wouldn't work:

"Destroying a building isn't easy in Renegade, it would suck if a team spent a lot of effort trying to destroy a building, then seeing it rebuilt a few minutes later. Being crippled by the destruction of buildings is one of Renegade's key ideas."

Plus, this would mean that we'd need a Construction Yard to rebuild stuff, right? Then don't you think everyone's just going to concentrate on defending the construction yard instead of other buildings? Not a good gameplay element if there's only one "weak point" in the game, because that makes it too easy to defend and too hard to destroy.[/b]

I said:
"So you can keep up the nice Gameplay when you for example it raise the cost of a new building if its once destroyed or you make it impossible to build it twice in a Map... or something else... AND VERY IMPORTANT it dont have to be a Commander Game! every player have maybe 2 Building credits and he can build 2 Buildings maybe and he needs of corse some gamepoints... and this in a given sector.."

or you have a building-limit:
both teams can build for example 7 buildings and they have a free choose in maybe 12 diffrent C&C buildings: WF, Bar, Ref, PP, Silos, TechCenter (for better tanks and infantry), diffrent defense tower, radar... and every single building has their own features... now you can plan your base, you have to aks yourself what you want.. you wane have good tanks? build WF, techcenter... you wane have more credits you build 2 refs and silos... but each team can just bild 7 buildings or 6 or 5... of those 12... and once destroyed you have to pay the 3x price... or it is impossible...

omg wow talk about persistance.....

I personally think it would kill renegade if structures could be purchased, save for the minor base defences, but even then it slightly loses its flavour.

Simply work together and Building a new building shouldnt even come into the equasion

yes it might be convieniant, but its just daft, Its not a RTS (for the most part) its a Arcade FPS. no base build allowed, being restricted to certain buildings in some maps make the games more interesting.

and as said above, you need a Construction yard, or a Mobile Construction Vehicle to be able to even consider it. which means everyone (as said above) would just whore the Const. yard until it died meaning that the team that lost it first has basically lost the match already.

also, when the structure is destroyed unless the team gets some major animations goin, the complete destruction of a structure would look like the worst thing ever, because other wise you arent going to have anywhere to build, yes you could make the base area bigger but im not in favour of lag to be honest, making maps needlessly big/complex like Glacier for rene just results in warps and teleports, not to mention they would have to code all the spawn points for that structure to move when the building does, to stop the havoc/sakura/sniper whores from spawn killing you, its bad enough trying to get from the Hand of nod to the Power Plant on Volcano without being sniped.

all you need instead of building new structures is to

"Defend the base!"

"Defend the base!"

"Defend the base!"

"Defend the base!"

"Defend the base!"

in short... I'd be against it.

peace

Unit75 out

QUOTE (GDIViperM @ Jul 18 2008, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why everyone think you have to defense... if both teams defened, who is attacking?? :S? and please read all my posts :D there is explained how it will work with a good gameplay! :) [/b]

lol reminds me of a game of APB in 9935, Alpine lake was the map both teams almost did nothing but defend... so after the time was up the game ended by score win and there was like a 20-30 points to each team total...

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Jul 17 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be able to build/rebuild in the mod, because that's just not Renegade. Destroying a building isn't easy in Renegade, it would suck if a team spent a lot of effort trying to destroy a building, then seeing it rebuilt a few minutes later. Being crippled by the destruction of buildings is one of Renegade's key ideas.[/b]

But...just to mention, if this gamemode were to come into being, there would clearly be modifications to the buildings etc, therefore it wouldn't be that hard to destroy a building.

Thing about this gamemode is(what seperates it from empires if it were to be), is that you'd be able to have high tech defences!..5 Ob's...BUT...you'd have the power plant system etc. ;)

Having this idea wouldn't be all bad but I'd say wait for the polished version of this mod first :P

QUOTE (GDIViperM @ Jul 18 2008, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol unrealistic ^^[/b]

how is that unrealistic... you clearly have not played renegade alot, as you can have both teams constantly defending (Hourglass is your best example) cause maybe 5 people are attackign and the rest of the team is defending.

Haven't read through this whole thread post by post so if I repeat someone forgive me. I think adding the base defenses that can be re-bought after destroyed by their teams funds would be a nifty addition to the game. As for having the ability to rebuild buildings after their destruction I think it would honestly take away from the Renegade gameplay style.

QUOTE (Killa @ Jul 28 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how is that unrealistic... you clearly have not played renegade alot, as you can have both teams constantly defending (Hourglass is your best example) cause maybe 5 people are attackign and the rest of the team is defending.[/b]

I even think more like 1-2 people on each team was attacking and there was I think about 10 people on each team... so yeah

QUOTE (Killa @ Jul 28 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how is that unrealistic... you clearly have not played renegade alot, as you can have both teams constantly defending (Hourglass is your best example) cause maybe 5 people are attackign and the rest of the team is defending.[/b]

lol I have played alot ^^ to much I think ^^ (I was Leader of 5 Renegade clans... ) and I played 3 years very active (02-04). So I know the characteristic of all maps in all options of the number of players (1on1 till 32on32) of course some populair fanmade-maps...

The reason why I wrote UNREALISTIC is becaus of the end of the map both team had 20-30 points together???? Maybe 500-2000 allt together okay... that could maybe be... but 20-30 ? at 30 points there were no fights of anything... no tankfights no infantry fights no building attacks... hmm, nobody trys anything X_x for me unbelievable...

QUOTE (He wrote)
... so after the time was up the game ended by score win and there was like a 20-30 points to each team total...[/b]

QUOTE (GDIViperM @ Jul 28 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol I have played alot ^^ to much I think ^^ (I was Leader of 5 Renegade clans... ) and I played 3 years very active (02-04). So I know the characteristic of all maps in all options of the number of players (1on1 till 32on32) of course some populair fanmade-maps...

The reason why I wrote UNREALISTIC is becaus of the end of the map both team had 20-30 points together???? Maybe 500-2000 allt together okay... that could maybe be... but 20-30 ? at 30 points there were no fights of anything... no tankfights no infantry fights no building attacks... hmm, nobody trys anything X_x for me unbelievable...[/b]

okay I searched a bit and found out and did have the pic still on filefront... and well seems like i did remember wrong 815 and 360 points still not much though :unsure:
uogxlbgymt.jpg

QUOTE (NEFirestorm @ Jul 29 2008, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks like APB is fun to play...[/b]

indeed it is, specially if you like Red Alert, though there seem to be lot of newbs/n00bs sadly these days that don't even own common sense, this wasn't the case so much in version .9935 where that game took place, but then beta have lots more units and even better graphics, but that is not the topic in here

• 2 weeks later...

Viper have you ever played Renegade..... if so you know that you never did this in it, were trying to recreate renegade with visual improvements, and not a bunch of new game play types, if you want to build basses and such play tiberian sun, cnc3 or Red alert 3.

lol if I ever played renegade ^^

hey I know what renegade-x now is, just renegade with awesome grafik...

and no... I dont wanna play tiberium sun, because I wanna play a FPS game... and IF YOU! wanna play normal FPS, play CoD4 or CSS... I wanna play a cnc-fps... cnc-fps? what did I do in cnc? build bases... what is fps? a first shooter game... so... what?

but I love the oldschool renegade! and I can't wait for the release of Renegade-X ....I thought just that base-building could be a interessting and give a new tactic gameplay...

im closing this thread because there is no more need for discussion.

CNC Mode in Renegade is deemed as a kill the opponent's base gameplay type.... not build your base and rebuild destroyed buildings.

We are remaking Renegade, not changing it all around.

Thats it Thats all.