How many people play renegade X?

robberguy189

Lets just say the game has failed its beta released and we'll have to hope its full release will be a lot stronger than this.

I honestly completely gave up the idea of trying to bring people in this for now. It would be best for people to stay away from the game and only have people come back when its all fixed and shiny.

By the way, 200 is generous, and very much a EU number, and what we got right now at their peak in the weekend. Normally late in NA we don't hit 100.

Private beta forums gives us a mini server list with overall playercount on it. It is at 221 right now is and usually around 200. Occasionally it drops much lower, but I'd say the average is 185-200.

Hopefully the final "gold release" version of the game will get greenlighted on steam, though. That way, we'd have a ton of players constantly.

How has a beta failed? Since when should there be an expectation for a game in beta to do exceptionally well? When did that become a rule? When you have crippling bugs like crashing on map change/match end you will lose a lot of people who don't want to be frustrated by that. When you have laggy vehicles in Renegade it frustrates the player driving them. I've lost a lot more vehicles than I normally would simply because of turning further than I intended due to lag, or worse moving slower than the infantry who aren't lagging because they aren't handled server side.

Some other players who haven't stuck around are purist crybabies who don't like airstrikes or other things. People unwilling to give them time to be balanced and unwilling to learn knew tactics. I don't really think they will be missed either as whining about that crap isn't helpful for a beta.

As the beta improves the player count will improve. The closer the game gets to leaving beta status the more players there will be as most of the things that bother them get ironed out. Those who do stay around need to be positive and helpful. Not doom and gloom. Not shitting all over the efforts of the devs.

For the record, renegade itself had just about the same amount of glitches as renegade x did at the original public beta release. It was patched several times and scripts were still being made for it 12 years later to fix these bugs. So I wouldn't say it has failed at all - in fact I'd say that so far, with the exception of a few things (crashes and lower server max player count), the beta has been doing extremely well. Those issues are also constantly being looked into for solutions as well. So please just stay patient and keep helping the game out - it will mean that many more players come the final release.

The game would have to be greenlighted to be on steam. Meaning the devs would have to present the game, and we (the fans/supporters) would have to vote for the game and spread the news to get more people to vote for the greenlight of the game. In the end, it is in their hands on whether or not it is approved. The fact that it is non-profit complicates the process a bit and may make it more challenging, but there are free games on steam currently, so it is all certainly possible. When the devs apply for the greenlight, they will most likely add a widget to the forums and website that will link players to be able to vote for the greenlight of renegade x. That is where we all really need to spread the news and have people vote. So getting people to play the beta is highly important - without such, it makes the possibility of the game being greenlighted go down heavily. So don't go telling players to "just wait for the final release of the game." We need people for the beta testing so that it can get greenlighted and give steam players the opportunity to play the game (and thus massively spread publicity to the game).

Stupid question I know :(

@iovandrake:

Even if they improve from beta I doubt there will be a playerbase change. The only thing I can think of would be release on steam. It quadrupled (or maybe more) hawken's playerbase, and it's remaining steady.

Also, is there a player count that someone could link me to? ("Private beta forums gives us a mini server list with overall playercount on it") Or something similar to this?

If people dropped out due to issues being resolved in the beta you can bet those people are likely to come back when they hear those issues are resolved. Who knows how many people that will be. So yes I do think as the beta phase ends there will be more players. Word of mouth informs a lot more people than you might think and word of mouth is helped by having good things to talk about. Like that the game is stable, has this or that feature, that there aren't scores of cheaters exploiting numerous glitches, and that there aren't frustrating glitches.

Think of all the people who left because they lost quickly on Walls as GDI when Nod could easily sneak up the right side ramp. Think of the people who left when they found driving jerky. It's partially up to use to inform people that these kinds of things have been fixed. There are people waiting for things to be resolved who just aren't keeping up to date all the time because of the responsibilities and balancing that with playing a game they aren't frustrated by. Not everyone is a diehard who puts up with a lot of problems. Those who are diehard or wanting to help shape the game into the perfection it can achieve have stuck around.

I'm just saying in a beta it pays more to be optimistic than pessimistic. If you have a complete game with low players then you can worry. It's completely premature and shortsighted to be dismayed by the amount of players right now.

This game needs a patching system. A lot of people didn't come back from trying it with the first beta because of all the crashing and instability. If they see the game has been patched then they may want to come back. Most players do not view these forums.

A patching system is in the workings. Easier said than done for a udk game, believe it or not. It will be implemented when it is fully finished and fixed.

Private beta forums gives us a mini server list with overall playercount on it. It is at 221 right now is and usually around 200. Occasionally it drops much lower, but I'd say the average is 185-200.

Hopefully the final "gold release" version of the game will get greenlighted on steam, though. That way, we'd have a ton of players constantly.

Agreed. Right now, it is just that it is obscure, if you expect people to literally search for something, it won't happen unfortunately.

For instance, minecraft, back in beta it released to sale. That was rare, which now it's common though. The few people who picked it up, were modders and made decent gary's mod esque things and servers with it. That got it attention, other communities moved in. That got it attention, raised pub sales. That got it attention, some people recorded playing it or endorsed it. That got it attention, and after all was said and done, Toby "Tobuscus" Turner and Felix "Pewdiepie" Kjellberg and all of their 2,000,000 viewers have probably got it.

Maybe we need some big million subscriber player to play it. Two Sayains Play RenX? Sadly, I can do esquisite voices for "Nappa" and "Vegeta".

Once this hits Steam, I'm expecting an influx of players. People will download it just because it's free.

Thats its only hope. Being tossed up on popular game lists like steam. I dont play this anymore. Its a shame it still has reloading animation problems. I woulda fixed that first I mean jesus christ its the first thing you notice when you play. I wont be coming back. The game is better than a lot of games out there but still pretty boring. It's missing something to make it worthwhile. Although you have choices in how you play and what you do it feels redundant after a few days.

I'm probably going to get bitched at because of this but I no longer appreciate spending money on the character classes. They should be free and all balanced for specific tasks like a moba LOLOLOLOL.

Once If this hits Steam, I'm expecting an influx of players. People will download it just because it's free.

FTFY

It's going to need more players regardless of what happens. "spreading the word" only goes so far. Even if picked up by a gaming magazine, having game-breaking bugs in a public beta will still make people leave permanently. These things have to be picked up internally and fixed before being released for public consumption, otherwise the final product suffers.

• Thanks 1

I wont be coming back..

ok bye

These things have to be picked up internally and fixed before being released for public consumption, otherwise the final product suffers.

How do you do that though? More selection process for more people for more closed betas? Closed betas work fine for highly anticipated games from big known companies where there are hundreds of thousands of people looking to play it early, they're not stupendously effective for something that nobody knows about. Eventually you need to get a decent number of people playing a thing to actually test things, like the crash bugs which they've been quite clear never showed up in their closed, smaller-scale testing.

And this is a test. It's an open beta. That means what it says it means, it's a work in progress that's more or less feature complete but needs to be tested for bugs. Do people really expect an entirely free passion project being worked on by a team in their spare time to have some kind of extensive QA team or something?

You do it by having a large internal test with team members, then expand that to a select audience who gets chosen by , after which you spend a substantial amount of time testing and re-testing builds until you've got something suitable for public beta. The public beta makes or breaks projects like this. I beta tested Renegade from phase 1 to phase 3 (all of the phases, basically), and also tested the flying unit beta.

There were never any major game-breaking bugs like what we're seeing in RenX. There were dumb issues like Medium Tanks sounding like a lawnmower from across the map and some balance tweaking. Nothing really got fixed because the game was "good enough" for public consumption. I like RenX, honestly, and I'd like to see it succeed - but it's going to be difficult to pull themselves out of this hole. The only time you should be losing players in a beta test is after you've shut it down, not while it's still actively being tested. Basically, it just needs to go back into the oven for a bit - it's not done yet.

Also, your average player doesn't know what a real beta is these days. They're used to "beta" being slapped on to anything and everything. In game terminology, beta now means "This is our way of letting you preview what we're releasing" instead of "This is our way of getting some outside help to check system compatability, find crashes, and fix glaring problems that we couldn't find ourselves." This means people find crashing to desktop and they immediately quit, thinking "This shit sucks. I'm going back to Call of Modern Battlefield: Medal of Duty IX, where at least it doesn't crash on map load!"

I'm starting to worry as well... if the crashes aren't fixed asap, we might not have enough testers to test for it lol :(. We tried getting people on board for clanwars.cc, but it's already dead since nobody will play a game this buggy, or a game they crash on every map.

I love Renegade, and I love this game, but it still has a long way to go. Crashes are issue #1 obviously - work that out, and we might be on to something.

Also, your average player doesn't know what a real beta is these days. They're used to "beta" being slapped on to anything and everything. In game terminology, beta now means "This is our way of letting you preview what we're releasing" instead of "This is our way of getting some outside help to check system compatability, find crashes, and fix glaring problems that we couldn't find ourselves." This means people find crashing to desktop and they immediately quit, thinking "This shit sucks. I'm going back to Call of Modern Battlefield: Medal of Duty IX, where at least it doesn't crash on map load!"

I agree with you. We have the same problem with Planetary Annihilation, or really any "beta" that doesn't also have an occult backing to it (Kerbal).

So basically...

Thats its only hope. Being tossed up on popular game lists like steam. I dont play this anymore. Its a shame it still has reloading animation problems. I woulda fixed that first I mean jesus christ its the first thing you notice when you play. I wont be coming back. The game is better than a lot of games out there but still pretty boring. It's missing something to make it worthwhile. Although you have choices in how you play and what you do it feels redundant after a few days.

I'm probably going to get bitched at because of this but I no longer appreciate spending money on the character classes. They should be free and all balanced for specific tasks like a moba LOLOLOLOL.

This guy, he ragequits and uninstalls because it wasn't like League of Legends, a "bandwagon game" (way to blaze your own trail btw, LoL ftw along with anything with more than a million playerbase, ftw 'merica)

But... thanks for helping submit bugs and feedback before you go? Because if I am not mistaken, you didn't actually realize you would be playing a beta and that's what you would be doing... But thanks anyway.

People saying: "This shit sucks. I'm going back to Call of Modern Battlefield: Medal of Duty IX, where at least it doesn't crash on map load!"

Except that the (release version!) of BF4 did crash on map load all the time. But this goes to show that people have a very short memory.

It would be nice to have a built in bug reporting system. Also a system that, after the game crashes, it asks the user if they would like to submit the crashdump for examination.

As far as internal testing goes, I think the most efficient way to do it is have it sort of like a pseudo public test. Basically, you would recruit testers for each and every build and they would only be testers for that specific build. If they wanted to continue testing in the next build, then they would have to re-apply.

Doing it like that means that the people who are actually interested in testing the game will continue to test the game, but the ones who are just trying to get in to see how it looks will filter away. Plus the system of having to apply to test would be the thing that tells users "this is a test and we need your feedback" rather than "this is our demo, please enjoy."

At least Renegade X has more players than Renegade.

I also guess that the issues like lags, bugs and glitches within Beta-1 phase chased a bunch of players away.

Incredible!! Many players already think and thought that Renegade X is a full and bug free version. Complaining about hacks... but those are simply bugs and glitches within RenX's beta phases.

Instead to report bugs and so to support the Devs, they leave away.

A release on Steam could be alright. But Greenlight is (finnaly) going to get removed in favour of another, (hopefully) much better system.

People saying: "This shit sucks. I'm going back to Call of Modern Battlefield: Medal of Duty IX, where at least it doesn't crash on map load!"

Except that the (release version!) of BF4 did crash on map load all the time. But this goes to show that people have a very short memory.

I can't even load BF4 without crashing on my desktop PC, and the support help is non-existing!

I must say it's quite difficult to find a decent AOW game on beta2. Freaking marathon servers took most of the population. There usually is, even in peak times on weekdays, only one AOW server with players in them and it has a time limit of 60 minutes :|.

Is the split between beta 1 and 2 still a fact?