No One Defends anymore

Dex

Is it just me or do people seem to not want to defend there own base?

Now I remember this being an issue in the Original but that was still fixed by the reward of defending being on par with attacking but now its just getting stupid. I love RenX but don't play regularly since every single time im stuck defending the base alone. There are the odd games where 1 or 2 others will be defending but everyone just rushes out and attacks without thinking about the opposite team doing the same. Sure an early rush can do damage... but iv had my team leave the defending completely and lose everything within the first 10 minutes because they expect others to do the defense. Its clear this isn't the first time someones trying to speak up about this and wont be the last but honestly lets get the word out that the Base does not defend itself even with an advanced defense structure or not.

Id play more if I didn't have to join a team knowing that im always going to be the only one to think about defense. It seems to be a common reason for my friends to stop playing aswell. I dont want to say "Lets reward defenders more" Since everyone complains about structures being healed way to much as is and losing to the opponent due to score instead of how many buildings your teams destroyed. So I dont know what the answer is...

I love Original Rene, and this one is no different, but iv lost interest simply because there's no balance between defense and offense when EVERYONE thinks someone else will do it.

Great Update to the Dev's and All the power to you, but the ease at which the enemy destroys your base is starting to get ridiculous by players simply not caring about defending. The whole team doesn't have to but it cant be just 1 or 2.

Right Ill just go join a group that expects you to always be with them and always be on when they are, some of us dont play at the same time constantly and not the same game. It makes no logical sense to join a clan simply to play the game. That's like saying you have to be on a basketball team to play drop in basketball.

That's like saying you have to be on a basketball team to play drop in basketball.

Most pickup basketball games I've played lacked defense because some want to play zone, some want to play man, some want to play 'follow the ball' and the one really slow fat guy just hangs at the other end. There's also the guy who yells 'FOUL' after everything.

You want a more organized game then you have to join an organization. If you don't like it, then go play something else.

If people move on it won't be because of this. OP had a series of bad teams, shit happens.

Unless they're like the OP and get frustrated that they're constantly losing. OP's already stated that he's lost interest because apparently unorganized public matches are actually unorganized and public? Shit happens, yes, the OP is being hyperbolic.

The OP clearly expresses the reason we need servers with at least 80 players; no one defends in Renegade X. Excuse my frankness, but it's very hard to defend on Renegade X maps compared to Renegade. Maps are larger and there's more space between buildings.

Sprinting is supposed to compensate for this fact but it can't do this for the extra open space which allows for easier sneaking (with and without stealth units). The extra space also makes it easier to enter an enemy base with a tank force and cause mayhem while it's harder to leap out of a building and damage a tank as a result of the extra open space.

Eighty player servers will however compensate for this. I'd say maps are about 60% larger than in Renegade and the Jelly Marathon Renegade server has a player limit of 50 players which works out fine. So about 80 players should be tested for Renegade X too.

Of prime importance then is to fix any issues related to higher player counts, e.g. the 'vehicle lag' issue which forces the current player limit to be capped at 40 players.

In this forum thread we've already seen venomous, non sequitur attacks, e.g. 'join a clan'. However I still express hope that we can debate this meta game issue in a responsible and adult fashion; well argumented and well reasoned, lacking ad hominem attacks and other fallacious argumentation. Call me an idealist, call me naive -- that's just how I feel.

The OP clearly expresses the reason we need servers with at least 80 players; no one defends in Renegade X. Excuse my frankness, but it's very hard to defend on Renegade X maps compared to Renegade. Maps are larger and there's more space between buildings.

Sprinting is supposed to compensate for this fact but it can't do this for the extra open space which allows for easier sneaking (with and without stealth units). The extra space also makes it easier to enter an enemy base with a tank force and cause mayhem while it's harder to leap out of a building and damage a tank as a result of the extra open space.

Eighty player servers will however compensate for this. I'd say maps are about 60% larger than in Renegade and the Jelly Marathon Renegade server has a player limit of 50 players which works out fine. So about 80 players should be tested for Renegade X too.

Of prime importance then is to fix any issues related to higher player counts, e.g. the 'vehicle lag' issue which forces the current player limit to be capped at 40 players.

In this forum thread we've already seen venomous, non sequitur attacks, e.g. 'join a clan'. However I still express hope that we can debate this meta game issue in a responsible and adult fashion; well argumented and well reasoned, lacking ad hominem attacks and other fallacious argumentation. Call me an idealist, call me naive -- that's just how I feel.

Please excuse Iran's trolling everyone. Here we can see his desire to start an argument, but what you cannot see is who he truly is and that all he is doing is attempting to troll hardcore. Why? Well...he doesn't get out much. Here is a quote from jelly upon the original public beta release of renegade:

so with a shitty, buggy and inferior renegade clone being out (with tons of speed hacks, triggerbots, aimbots, esp etc) and everyone obviously playing it mara player count has dropped considerably.

holy shit i didnt expedt renX to be SO BAD but it sure far surpassed my 'wrost' expectations

Yeah I definitely think people wont be playing this crap longer than a few weeks at most

Please don't fall for his "oh I thought it was bad but I came around" speech he will give in return to this neither. It's just a troll attempt. Ignore it and move on.

The OP clearly expresses the reason we need servers with at least 80 players; no one defends in Renegade X.

80 players has nothing to do with forcing an 'organized' team. In the OP's mind that simply means 20 more players that a going to go and zerg-rush the enemy base, fail, and try it again. In many player's mind it's simply not 'fun' to sit in the base for most of the match repairing, checking mines, re-mining, or even paroling with a vehicle while that vehicle could be the straw that broke the defense at the opposing team's base.

Organizations understand this and allow for strategies where defenders rotate to offense.

The OP simply wants more organized teams...if anything throwing more n00bs into the mix will be even more like herding cats. Either you join an organization that understands tactics or you wait for the playerbase to mature from 'ZOMG MAMMOTH TANKS I WANT ONE' to 'Don't buy mammoths...gives Nod too many points'.

I do wonder... if the OP keepd loosing then the teams he play against are organized? So he has just been unlucky.

I think this has to be a portion of it. Really, I see the OP's post as 'Imma so mad that I do everything. I'mma gunna write a message blaming the devs and ragequit'.'

I think the bottom line is that its going to take the mass playerbase some time to pick up tactics and understand the finer aspects of whats happening in the game. I do think already that people are starting to catch on to the need to defend, its just going to take some time for people who know what they're doing to rub off on those who don't

Yes it takes time for players to learn tactics. Especially if they come from dumbed down modern games that don't require a lot of complex team tactics (or defending much of anything). The best way to solve this is for everyone to make a point of correcting bad behavior in chat. Even if you lose that building or the entire match it won't matter as long as they learn the correct methods for the future. You have to be able to express those things politely to them though or they won't learn very quickly.

Another important piece is actually calling out when enemies are incoming or in the base. If you're in the base by yourself, you need to be repairing and calling out so that your teammates know to come back and save the base. It's extremely irritating to be wrapping up a plan to take out the Airstrip+Obelisk when all of a sudden you hear "Advanced Guard Tower Destroyed" :\

ab"O"ve "P"ost. Overpowered, the guy who started the rage_induced_type_fest. Fucking guy.

Anyways, I agree with Iran. Israel/States abomination hybrid can go DIE. 40 guys versus 40 guys is OWN.

Might as well go for the old Renegade's max count - 127....

Ahh yes, I can just see it now... 127 pussies, assholes, and dicks to fuck with. WIN!

But yah, for cereal, OP:

OP you got baaaaaad luck. Your team failed a few times in a row, thats is why you have posted this thread. I feel jah man, it sucks ass when it happens.

Very seldomly do I partake in a match where my team's defense really isn't there. Most of the time, me and seveal other WILL make an active effort to mine the base, heal buildings, and watch for infiltrators. Last match I had on Walls, after about five minutes I spend holding back attackers in front of the base I came back to finally buy Hotwire and mine, only to find out that EVERY building entrance and ramp had already been expertly mined by one of more others. Pretty cool. So, I'd argue that those matches where you do lose after 10 minutes are rare but they are the ones you'd remember best.

As stupid as it sounds, being recognized for healing tanks and buildings by getting a recommendation is rewarding. It also gives players something to work for and the total number of recommendations can be an indication of a good team member.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

While I'm totally against a progression system where you unlock new gear and equipment, I'd totally support a global progression system that unlocked special titles and skins.

Like, if you heal friendly vehicles for over 25,000HP, you should get a special medal or title that displays on your character that you can choose/toggle. It would be a good way to give a little incentive to play competitively plus it's also a good identifier for people with good reputations as team players.

While I'm totally against a progression system where you unlock new gear and equipment, I'd totally support a global progression system that unlocked special titles and skins.

Like, if you heal friendly vehicles for over 25,000HP, you should get a special medal or title that displays on your character that you can choose/toggle. It would be a good way to give a little incentive to play competitively plus it's also a good identifier for people with good reputations as team players.

Awesome idea! As long as it remains purely aesthetic, it would great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bringing this back on topic... I was just on a server for a few hours on a team that lost consistently for 5 maps because of one reason: too many people were defending. No one wanted to leave the base, so Nod kept cornering us and whoring all our buildings. We had a good defense, but keep the attack up long enough eventually something falls.

So, I really don't think the "people aren't defending!" notion is warranted. It was probably just an unfortunate group of players.