Rankings and Medals

mexpirate

Any plans to introduce server rankings or MVP, Most Kills, Best K/D ratio medals? Trying to achieve a decent ranking and collecting medals used to be a big part of what kept people playing renegade and made winning or losing feel more important than it does now.

I'm beta testing a recommendation + medal system on my server. I had to wait for Beta 2 because I couldn't distinguish between a bot name and an actual player so bots kept getting recommended also. I'm still lacking some info that I need to make some medals work but it's a work in progress.

Here's output from beta 1 when I tested it out.

EVA: [CS] Xpert has been recommended by CloudyServ for: Destroyed 7 vehicles.

EVA: [CS] Xpert has been recommended by Player902 for: testing rec

[Chat] Xpert: !medals

EVA: [CS] Xpert has 11 Recommendation_Medals.

I've always felt like "recommendations" were the stupidest way of going about adding achievements/awards/et al. Instead of using "recommendations" as catch-all rewards, try awarding something specific that makes sense contextually within the game. You'd earn rank as you destroy buildings/units/vehicles and get something like specifically named medals for performing certain actions, like so:

SomeRandomGuy has earned a Repair Medal for repairing X amount of damage this round!

SomeRandomGuy has earned a Repair Medal, with R device for repairing X amount of damage over his RenX career!

SomeRandomGuy has unlocked 5% faster repairs for his repair device by repairing X amount of damage over his RenX career!

Something like that - make it actually useful.

SomeRandomGuy has unlocked 5% faster repairs for his repair device by repairing X amount of damage over his RenX career!

Please no upgrades to make people 'powerful'....The reason I like Renegade's gameplay is the moment you join a server, everyone is equal. It all depends on tactic and skills, not on some dumb advantage gained by playing 24/life.

Please no upgrades to make people 'powerful'....The reason I like Renegade's gameplay is the moment you join a server, everyone is equal. It all depends on tactic and skills, not on some dumb advantage gained by playing 24/life.

If you don't like something, that doesn't automatically make it dumb. Excuse the fact that I called recommendations stupid in my first reply. That doesn't change my point at all. 5% is enough to be marginally useful, but not overpowered. It gives incentive to continue helping team members out or accomplishing objectives. Some people need a carrot in front of them to do things. I don't see why it would be game breaking to give minor bonuses to people who manage to achieve results in the game.

Absolutely everything is wrong about it. Nothing that carries over to another game is acceptable. Nothing at all. Not from my perspective. I am utterly against such things, even small benefits. We need to get away from that mentality so completely.

I've always felt like "recommendations" were the stupidest way of going about adding achievements/awards/et al. Instead of using "recommendations" as catch-all rewards, try awarding something specific that makes sense contextually within the game. You'd earn rank as you destroy buildings/units/vehicles and get something like specifically named medals for performing certain actions, like so:

SomeRandomGuy has earned a Repair Medal for repairing X amount of damage this round!

SomeRandomGuy has earned a Repair Medal, with R device for repairing X amount of damage over his RenX career!

Problem is the server doesn't send any data that I can use like that. The only thing I can use is player based recs/medals when someone recommends someone, or base it off kill messages. There's nothing else. It's not like Renegade's SSGM where it outputs gamelogs such as damage done.

With that being the case, I might resort to just using a stats system where it counts kills, vehicle kills, building kills, and amount of times you joined the server.

Renegade has to first and foremost be completely contained within each round. So people should not be able to unlock special upgrades because they play longer or do more things than other players.

The only rewards that I'd support being awarded to players that stay with them across all servers and matches would be things like titles, medals, skins, etc. Basically anything that isn't a direct stat upgrade but is still visible on you and can be seen by other players.

If an unlock system were to be made where people would be able to upgrade repair rates and things, it would have to be contained within a single round. So in that one round, repairing X amount of HP would earn you a repair upgrade. But once the round ends and the next one starts, everyone would be back to square one.

I'm not suggesting they do that. I don't think they should. I'm just pointing out that is the only way I'd remotely support an upgrade system in this game.

Only time original ren gave upgrades was certain servers that gave you an ingame "rank up" when you got a certain number of points - was a server side mod and upgrades only lasted until the game ended. Either way, complicated and unnecessary I would suggest.

Simple server rankings would be the most important I think, it means players have a reason to keep playing and to keep returning to the same server, which in turn helps to build a community. Just a running total of points/kills/deaths/games played and maybe buildings/vehicles destroyed, to be reset every month - ideally that can be checked in game and/or announced when you join.

Medals were awarded for MVP (most points), Best K/D & Most kills and via the !rec command and they never really did anything apart from being a lasting record of how much you had played on a server. Great if they are easy to add but don't really think a complicated medal system would bring much to the game.