Engineer ammo or power.

disorder

Well I think anyway, that Engineers (and maybe the special types) need a ammo pool to use up. Or maybe a power meter instead of ammo. It should be 400 or 500 or something quite high, but still force engineers to refill like other infantry classes.

If using the ammo the effectiveness of the repair tool stays constant but they run out of use. If using a battery for example, the repair rate could drop down to 0 and require recharging, in the field very slowly or again refilled at a base.

Right now most vehicles have infinite ammo and they can stay out in the field indefinitely. Either give all infantry infinite ammo or reduce the engy+tank dependency by giving engineers some kind of ammo/battery.

Thanks

-I would not mind infantry having infinite ammo. Many Renegade servers have been playing like that for years.

-I think tanks camping a front base is fine as far as vehicle ammo goes. Airstrikes make it easier than ever to punish camping in front of a base. Front base camping working in Renegade, its entirely different in Planetside but thats a different game.

-I actually think it would add some interesting balance to add a very weak repair gun to the "secondary weapons" you can purchase. For just 200 credits, you can replace your pistol with a repairgun that repairs 80% the speed of a engineer and has an ammo limit enough to heal a tank once or twice. This also balances how secondary weapons give engineers more strength, by opting for a weaker limited repair on a unit with even more strength. Can also use for field mine disarming and repairing teammate infantry.

I like the idea of a smaller engineer device but maybe it might unbalance it and make engineers become a little obsolete. Perhaps a medic stim only for infantry, that lets them heal others for a small amount. Like 30%. But not tanks.

Cheers

I'm not sure if I see the imbalance with having infinite charge on the repair tool. Personally I find engies to be fragile targets for just about everybody and they could probably do with the standard medic class regeneration.

@Bro I completely endorse this message. I really think this should be added

Infinite infantry ammo would be a really bad idea, you already have enough ammo to hold out quite a while in the field. Having infinite ammo would only promote camping (especially with the sniper) for the offending team.

Adding infinite infantry ammo would only cause a bias towards the winning team, which makes it even harder to liberate the field/tunnels from enemy presence if you're on the defending team.

About limited ammo on repair guns... I like the idea (i posted a suggestion about this a VERY long time ago), but give it a BIG ammo count, like 2 magazines of 999 ammo.

Eh, you can already camp field with infinite vehicle ammo. Well, you need to go back for repairs... oh wait, the only class's main weapon with infinite ammo is the ENGINEERS, so you don't need that!

Really, infantry has gotten better against vehicles with sprint. Still, they are only ones limited to back-and-forth refills when it should either be for health or death.

You have a limited number of vehicles and you're paying extra for the privilege to drive one and use its infinite ammo. Infantry on the other hand are different and it changes the gameplay up quite a bit. So saying infantry should have infinite ammo because vehicles have infinite ammo is an irrelevant argument. That's like saying cars should fly because planes can fly.

If infantry had infinite ammo, maps with infantry chokepoints would become much, much easier to defend. Making it that much easier to box the enemy into a corner leaving them no outs for a comeback.

And I'm not just talking about a competitive comeback if they hope to win the game. I mean just giving the team something to do. When you're pushed into a corner as a defender, the game is boring. Almost to the point where people will leave the game not because they don't want to lose, but because they could be having more fun doing something else... like painting their house lol.

Basically most of the maps aren't designed to accommodate for infantry with infinite ammo. And it really isn't worth the time to adjust them. Plus I think infinite ammo removes a lot of tactical elements from the game.

I do not think repair guns need limited ammo. There's absolutely no good reason to do this and it will change far too much. I also do not agree with infinite ammo. It was fine on old Renegade servers where it was practically a requirement for infantry to have a chance in long hard matches. With limited ammo in Renegade X you are still fully capable of doing significant damage (crippling or destroying the enemy) and the only thing preventing you from refilling is your ability to make it back alive (tactics and skill) and not being a lazy asshole.

• 3 weeks later...

Repair guns should certainly have infinite ammo. Itd severely alter gameplay if they didn't. Imagine the frustration! Ohh no i didn't disarm the beacon because i ran out of ammo or my gun overheated. Rage inducing i assure you. Especially with what seems like reduced repair rates.(maybe im trippin) And honestly, everytime I get low on ammo while playing walls, i just snag up a refill crate. It seems as long as you are low, the crate gives you what you need. Just like when both wfs are destroyed the crates just start making it rain vehicles. I don't know if this is intended or not, but i find it happens too often to be a coincidence.