see the map

phantom16

So i have played a few matches, and i think this is the game i have been looking for: an awesome online FPS with vehicles (BF3 is fun, but the fact that i have a new bug issue every time i log in has lead me to never play that or any battlefield game again).

However, as a tactical FPS that focuses on bases, I would think being able to see the map would be a given, yet no matter how hard i try, i can't see the map. It would be really nice to actually know what buildings were being attacked, or where an enemy building is on the map. Yes there's a minimap, but i feel that if i click "M" I should be able to see the entire map with the buildings on it, and their life. Maybe fog of war could exist too, and we wouldn't know the enemies base status unless there was a team member close enough.

Otherwise I find myself running around and wasting a lot of time trying to orientate myself to the buildings or enemy base. I am sure I will learn all the maps in time, but new players like me can be put off by this lack of knowing where in the world they are, and even if you know the maps, it would be great to be able to see the status of your buildings for tactical defense purposes

It would be really cool to be able to see the key bindings when i click ESC as well, i hate having to leave a map just to look up a keybinding again (yes i am sure i could find the key bindings online and just minimize the game, but meh...)

I agree .. it would be nice to be able to open the map ...

but you only should see your own team vehicles and units probably with friendly beacons, maybe with enemy units that are in the fov of a friendly unit (and maybe spottet enemies for 3-5 seconds)

but a map with only friendly units would be sweet aswell

actually a pretty nice idea to tie it to a comcenter ...

not sure if it should be a techbuilding or building inside each of bases ...

marking targets on the map is very powerfull, not sure if it should be possible

marking a found beacon makes it much more easy to defuse ...

solution could be if it is only possible to mark certain buildings

Tech buildings shouldn't be something we run to constantly. They barely get used as it is. Some maps would benefit from different structure arrangements - such as larger ones. Not all of them would need to have every building available to each faction.

We still need things like Helipads, Repair Facilities, Construction Yards, Communication Centers, etc - Renegade was bereft of these buildings due to a lack of development time, not because it wasn't planned to be added.

• Like 1

Has been brought up before. My may look into something like this in the future. Something at least as simple as hit "M" to see an overview.

My personal dream, so do not hold the team to it, would be to eventually get Squads if not a Commander also. Then at least through Squads, do a sort of Battlefield thing where the leader can plot waypoints. Then those can be seen on the map and world and provided bonuses, just like BF.

And Commander mode....but that is waaayyy off.

An interesting idea. I would think it would be nice to just have a map that you could bring up whenever/wherever you were at. This could include a fog of war so enemies would only show on the map for a few seconds if they were seen or spotted by an enemy.

Maybe though in order to call out certain things so everyone would see on their map would need to be done from a comcenter or something like that. Then maybe if you lose the comcenter you lose the brief enemy things on the map, as well as all friendlies as well, but you still have a static map just for the sake of orientating yourself.

EDIT: good to hear that even a general map is being thought about. that's really all i want :-)

Has been brought up before. My may look into something like this in the future. Something at least as simple as hit "M" to see an overview.

My personal dream, so do not hold the team to it, would be to eventually get Squads if not a Commander also. Then at least through Squads, do a sort of Battlefield thing where the leader can plot waypoints. Then those can be seen on the map and world and provided bonuses, just like BF.

And Commander mode....but that is waaayyy off.

Commander mode is way too ambitious (not that I don't want it).

The basic map feature is really something I do hope you look at, the radar shows the map decently already, just extending that to a full map would be gorgeous.

The map AND the radar could also use a few features such as:

-Beacons. I have no idea where beacons are, even friendly ones. Friendly beacons should show up VERY obviously on the radar and even in the corners of the radar if its out of range.

Hostile beacons should show up once someone has started disarming them.

Otherwise, enemies should appear in the radar as well -> either when spotting them (safest way) or damaging them (I much prefer that way, maybe only count direct damage, not splash, and only show a dot at the last position, not its movements).

A lot of simple things like this can really enhance the "team play" aspect without people having to constantly communicate everything and it all stems from those systems.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be very nice to be able to view the whole map and the unit activity going on in the match. Not a still frame of the map, but big ass radar view with lots of data, unit positions (only your teams and enemys spotted) like in old Tribes or Battlefield. Have a map screen button, like PermaGrin said. Like a full revealed map in old Renegade single player.

And I'm glad the oldies aren't bitching at Renegade X's new HUD radar, where you have scrolling terrain details, instead of the old renegade where it's just a black screen that shows dots.

Actually Old Renegade had mods that made your HUD's radar be just like it is in Renegade X. But the fucking oldies were against the idea of allowing players to run those HUD mods on most servers. What stupid setback.

I think there should be a map mechanic tied to a structure, like a comms center like ACK suggested.

However, this map should pretty much behave like the map in C&C RTS games. Basically it would have fog of war and you wouldn't be able to see enemy structures or positions unless you had a friendly nearby to reveal it. Spotted enemies would be able to be seen through the fog however.

To add onto that, there should be a tech structure with the ability to reveal the whole map and remove the fog of war. But due to the nature of this structure, it must only be put onto maps with a specific route to and from it that is separate from the route between bases. Meaning if you want the structure, you'd have to go out and get it and then defend it.

It would be a good way to spread the action around the map. I do realize though that if your team was to lose their power plant or comms center, then that tech building would be pretty worthless. Perhaps there can be some other tertiary benefit as well (I mean other than denying the enemy team the ability it grants)?

• 2 weeks later...
I think there should be a map mechanic tied to a structure, like a comms center like ACK suggested.

However, this map should pretty much behave like the map in C&C RTS games. Basically it would have fog of war and you wouldn't be able to see enemy structures or positions unless you had a friendly nearby to reveal it. Spotted enemies would be able to be seen through the fog however.

To add onto that, there should be a tech structure with the ability to reveal the whole map and remove the fog of war. But due to the nature of this structure, it must only be put onto maps with a specific route to and from it that is separate from the route between bases. Meaning if you want the structure, you'd have to go out and get it and then defend it.

It would be a good way to spread the action around the map. I do realize though that if your team was to lose their power plant or comms center, then that tech building would be pretty worthless. Perhaps there can be some other tertiary benefit as well (I mean other than denying the enemy team the ability it grants)?

Yes to all of this. And hmm maybe reduced prices on adv. technologies. Like 850 for sydney or something

What about changing certain icons on the minimap once you own the comm center? Like in if you don't have control over it, you can't distinguish vehicles from infantry on the map.

And for a tertiary benefit... What about having airstrikes arrive 2 seconds faster? Deploy beacons slightly more quick?