Assist kills

super_gsx

Actually I agree with this, assists should be counted. It's kind of silly for a teamwork-based game that has a lot of beefy targets to award the kill to the person who got the last hit in.

This also ties into what I was saying in the thread about KDR, and the suggestions people made there (there should be stats for repairs/healing, vehicle kills/deaths, etc.).

Or just remove kills from the scoring entirely, since they are mostly meaningless. Points as well.

I could get behind this, but not the removal of points; as far as I understand those actually work based on damage and repair, not just kills.

Though, giving point awards for assist would be a really good idea.

Points is entirely damage based, deal 99% of damage and you will get 99% of points, regardless of who dealt the final 1%.

I could get behind this, but not the removal of points; as far as I understand those actually work based on damage and repair, not just kills.

But the game is ultimately about destroying buildings, while score for damage just encourages point whoring.

Points is entirely damage based, deal 99% of damage and you will get 99% of points, regardless of who dealt the final 1%.

But the game is ultimately about destroying buildings, while score for damage just encourages point whoring.

Wow. There's really no extra points for a kill? I guess I agree with that. But there's another thing.

When a group of people sneak into the enemy base and one of them places the beacon while the others protect it, the others get absolutely no points for protecting the beacon. There should be some sort of system in place which gives people extra points for protecting beacons. Not just destroying buildings with them.

Accounting for the dozens of ways you can help your team outside of the direct damage you deal is intractable.

What do you give to the guy who drives the APC up to the OB/AGT and blocks the door while the engineers destroy it? What do you give to the guy who places a beacon to distract the enemy team while an APC drives in through the other side of the base? What do you give the guy who just killed someone about to kill their teammate, saving their team the loss of a $1k character?

Accounting for all of these would be insanely complex and in the end players would just be getting a ton of points seemingly out of nowhere for fulfilling random conditions.

Probably.

I always saw score as a mean to get money, not as a mean to be acclaimed the better member of my team. I doubt this will change, I doubt the artillery driver that could just get a good spot behind everyone will ever be beaten (I've been that sometimes, and oh I'm top, who cares).

A building destroyed by a beacon goes to the guy that planted it because he paid for the beacon, so even that is fair.

The only thing I'd change is give players disarming the beacons points based on the amount you disarm (same for C4) instead of just getting a fixed amount of disarming it at all. (I think its still that way in Renegade X)

The rest, well, some people sacrifice their own income for the betterment of the team. Noble sacrifices that you can never expect a game to fully recognize.

Accounting for the dozens of ways you can help your team outside of the direct damage you deal is intractable.

What do you give to the guy who drives the APC up to the OB/AGT and blocks the door while the engineers destroy it? What do you give to the guy who places a beacon to distract the enemy team while an APC drives in through the other side of the base? What do you give the guy who just killed someone about to kill their teammate, saving their team the loss of a $1k character?

Accounting for all of these would be insanely complex and in the end players would just be getting a ton of points seemingly out of nowhere for fulfilling random conditions.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Because of this, the whole scoring system is stupid. Sometimes the guy who does the most for his team doesn't get credit for it. That's how I always viewed points in Ren. Just credit. Like commendations almost. I think it would be cool to be able to compare it with real life. Give awards to the most daring and heroic acts in the game. Maybe even have quick replay sequences at the end of each game which show who did what and got what awards.

The problem is, that just seems impossible. But maybe there's a way to SLIGHTLY do it.

Perhaps... the scoring should be split up. The current scoring is basically to see who has done the most damage and repairs. Maybe we should split this up. Hmmm... ideas... New topic coming.