patch ?

rytlock

Give the guys a break. They have been working on this for the last 7 years, non profit, not getting paid a single dime for it. I think they earned some time off now. Yes there's tons of stuff that needs fixing but the game is still very playable so please have some patience.

Give the guys a break. They have been working on this for the last 7 years, non profit, not getting paid a single dime for it. I think they earned some time off now. Yes there's tons of stuff that needs fixing but the game is still very playable so please have some patience.

Lets put this in perspective and I'll add that I respect all the crazy work they have done for this game.

Now is -not- the time for break. At all.

They decided for an open beta release that is too early. I personally would have been against it, knowing the state of the game.

It doesn't matter what you call the release, for most people out there, this is "the" release of Renegade X, call it whatever you want. And the release is not in an ideal state. It crashes quite a bit, and there's pletny of problems that can ruin someone's experience. Even early on, I got a bunch of people whine about speed hacks and say the game was trash. Thats a problem taht only existed in the early days.

My point is, the game is out. The people are out on it and this is the time for the game to get up on its feet properly, as quickly as possible. The longer it takes to reach a more commonly acceptable state, the more players we'll lose.

It was unfortunate that they didn't just increase the size of the closed beta to test everything properly or something. Maybe the broken release is inevitable given that this is a free game. But I think if we care about the health of the game, we need to get the big stuff out of the way quickly.

I'm personally not asking it just for me, I'm saying its the best for the game. Hopefully the later "true" release will bring more players, but I can't help but think that every day the game is in its current state, some players are lost. And this game exists to have people playing it. I mean, a multiplayer project needs players, that is the whole point. Thats why the timing of a release and how its handled is so important, even if its free.

This is just my perspective. I don't actually have any doubts they are working as hard as they can, by the way.

Lets put this in perspective and I'll add that I respect all the crazy work they have done for this game.

Now is -not- the time for break. At all.

They decided for an open beta release that is too early. I personally would have been against it, knowing the state of the game.

It doesn't matter what you call the release, for most people out there, this is "the" release of Renegade X, call it whatever you want. And the release is not in an ideal state. It crashes quite a bit, and there's pletny of problems that can ruin someone's experience. Even early on, I got a bunch of people whine about speed hacks and say the game was trash. Thats a problem taht only existed in the early days.

My point is, the game is out. The people are out on it and this is the time for the game to get up on its feet properly, as quickly as possible. The longer it takes to reach a more commonly acceptable state, the more players we'll lose.

It was unfortunate that they didn't just increase the size of the closed beta to test everything properly or something. Maybe the broken release is inevitable given that this is a free game. But I think if we care about the health of the game, we need to get the big stuff out of the way quickly.

I'm personally not asking it just for me, I'm saying its the best for the game. Hopefully the later "true" release will bring more players, but I can't help but think that every day the game is in its current state, some players are lost. And this game exists to have people playing it. I mean, a multiplayer project needs players, that is the whole point. Thats why the timing of a release and how its handled is so important, even if its free.

This is just my perspective. I don't actually have any doubts they are working as hard as they can, by the way.

tumbs up to this lol with the hacks going on its putting people off from coming back on this game

I've beta tested several games, and I would have to say that as far as open beta goes - this game is doing real well on the amount of glitches/bugs. There obviously is some, but the game-changing ones were fixed in time. Being a part of the private beta, I know firsthand on how many changes per build the devs make. The list is ~100+ per build just on edits they have done (each edit takes a significant amount of time, depending on what it is being edited). That's damn impressive considering a new build was out every 2 weeks or so...

Speed hack has a temporary fix for already, and will probably be fixed even moreso in the patch. There's been no apparent aimbot or triggerbot hacks to my knowledge, which I personally am grateful for.

Seriously, as far as a first build beta goes - this game is in great shape so far, relatively speaking. It will only improve as well, and hopefully the eventual final build will also be released on Steam.

You are right though that now is not the time for a break. I also know that the devs are not taking a break at all, and are hard at work, however.

Given that patches will be done manually by players and not auto-update like many modern games, I imagine they will be wanting to limit the frequency of patches so people won't be confused as to what they need to download and when.

Would be nice if they can find a way to auto update the game though so smaller fixes can be done as they're made.

I believe it will bring up a notification that the client's game needs to be updated in order to play, and then the player will be linked to the patch download from there.

That is my understanding of it. So it's basically a combination of manual and automatic, really. It shouldn't really confuse people.

As long as there's no need to redownload the client, people can handle manual patches.

And many Renegade players (like myself) were people who were put off at first due to the hackers and lack of support but came back years later and really enjoyed it. The community will make Renegade X great as well.

I'm assuming we're going to be given a patch thats just an exe that auto installs the patch. Manually meaning just downloading that file, which the Renegade X launcher will link us to.

If this is what happens, it should be fine. Would be ideal if this was a one time thing, though.

I don't really understand the negativity and hate. The developers have done an excellent job for a first beta release. As the saying goes "many eyes make all bugs shallow", there have been a lot of people playing and giving feedback regarding bugs.

The WORST thing to do right now is to release patches every few weeks, as:

1.) It requires more testing time to re-test the game the more patches get pushed in a time period.

2.) Things that can go wrong every patch release are more likely to go wrong because more patches are being pushed.

3). Totally new bugs can be introduced.

Besides that there aren't any game breaking bugs and like HaTe said there is no issue with cheaters.

Given that patches will be done manually by players and not auto-update like many modern games

Recipe for disaster. This game will be dead before July.

You dont know shit about Renegade

The Original was alot more Bugged ,

Got rushed because of Ea

Company got closed down by ea

and it still Survived since then ( 8+ years ) with more than 3000+ players per day ( Evene alot of AAA titles can say that 1 Month after Release Hence Steam stats ! )

Renegade X is Free Developed 7 years

7 LONG years of hard work without even a Small free they are not allowed to take even 1 Cent not even for the website server lol

and its one of The stablest OPEN BETAS ( Right behind the CLOSED beta )ive seen lol

Even Many AAA titles got more bugs and even More Critical bugs as Renegade X ( Not starting up , Ban waves of millions of People ( Cod steam ) , Not functioning parts , and a shitload more if you want i can list games that where more Bugged on Release . )

The Patch should be released within the next 7 days. Id rather have it sooner then later but pls remember that we can only work on it in our freetime and cause of family stuff etc we cant plan when we will have the proper time needed to work on renx. So it will get done when its done but we are aiming for within the next 7 days.

The Patch should be released within the next 7 days. Id rather have it sooner then later but pls remember that we can only work on it in our freetime and cause of family stuff etc we cant plan when we will have the proper time needed to work on renx. So it will get done when its done but we are aiming for within the next 7 days.

:D:D Thanks :D:D

And don't forget that the UDK Build is approx just 2-3 Years in development. The UT3 Version was in some points actually just scrapped as far as I know. And I don't get the "hate", too. There are WAY more bugged games out there and the "flaws" are being worked on with the devs actually looking for the opinion of the people. I just don't get it. Be patient and enjoy it.

Given that patches will be done manually by players and not auto-update like many modern games

Recipe for disaster. This game will be dead before July.

I just love quotes like this. I'm just being able to facepalm at them.

I've beta tested several games, and I would have to say that as far as open beta goes - this game is doing real well on the amount of glitches/bugs. There obviously is some, but the game-changing ones were fixed in time. Being a part of the private beta, I know firsthand on how many changes per build the devs make. The list is ~100+ per build just on edits they have done (each edit takes a significant amount of time, depending on what it is being edited). That's damn impressive considering a new build was out every 2 weeks or so...

Speed hack has a temporary fix for already, and will probably be fixed even moreso in the patch. There's been no apparent aimbot or triggerbot hacks to my knowledge, which I personally am grateful for.

Seriously, as far as a first build beta goes - this game is in great shape so far, relatively speaking. It will only improve as well, and hopefully the eventual final build will also be released on Steam.

You are right though that now is not the time for a break. I also know that the devs are not taking a break at all, and are hard at work, however.

Yeah. Unfortunately, thats how players will be with betas. "this isn't as good as EA's beta". "this beta was released so as far as I am concerned it is released" "why are there bugs in a beta". Like they have been taught wrong about what a beta is, just because they only participated in AAA title's not-beta-but-called-beta, and not an actual beta.

I have participated in some betas. Another beta I play in has partially fallen apart last patch, some features break other features.

ALSO, hacks are in no way the dev's fault. Besides, this is an open moderated game. In my opinion, they should add commands to reset score and revive buildings for server moderators, so they can just banhammer hackers and fix any problems they caused.

A lot of the problems are fix able with moderating and with small self fixes, like renaming the movie files inside the movie folder to skip intro, and not clicking a sort tab on the server list to prevent random server joining.

This whole thread is honestly a joke. Why don't you guys focus on the amazing work that has been done instead of criticizing the minor issues that will be fixed with in the next week. Completely ridiculous how impatient some of you are.

And yes the patch will just be an .exe you run.

Yeah, there's no need to be so extremely negative and forceful. Remember that the developers work on the game in their spare time and have made a complete commercial grade game with a small team and limited resources.

• 1 month later...

I personally think the development team have done an amazing job. The transition from Renegade to Renegade X is my opinion is completely seamless and although there is bugs, this is a BETA not a final release.

This game has already brought all of my limited free time to an amazing nostalgic experience.

But if the developers are around, is there any chance you can stop E being engineer in the purchase terminal (I keep wasting expensive characters haha).

Well done guys, really proud of all your hard work.

Is there already known, what changes the patch will bring?

I'm looking forward to see some improvements to AI and other fixes.

Is there already known, what changes the patch will bring?

I'm looking forward to see some improvements to AI and other fixes.

Please look at the date stamp! (7th MARCH!)

This post refers to the update already implemented!