anyone remember the map cairo

IMBALISK

I remember the name, but nothing about the map itself.

It was pretty big for a Renegade map. Each base had two adv. defense structures. That's all I remember :P

Oh yeah. Wasnt it mostly a bunch of sand dunes? Id love to see an overview of the map.

Problem with maps of that size, is once you lose vehicle production...then it is time for them hiking boots.

I did not mind Cario too much, pretty neat, but once you lost your WF/AS....zzzzzzzz

Worst case, once modding capabilities get done, any one can make/add something like that.

Problem with maps of that size, is once you lose vehicle production...then it is time for them hiking boots.

I did not mind Cario too much, pretty neat, but once you lost your WF/AS....zzzzzzzz

Worst case, once modding capabilities get done, any one can make/add something like that.

Good point. I think I remember somebody adding auto-buggy-spawns to that map to combat the issue.

The bases were so big though it was easy to sneak in to get the power plants.

There are 2 power plants on it and actually 3 obbys/agts two in the front one in the back.

That map also had a construction yard, repair pad, and silo. One of the better fanmaps

Try playing this map on Marathon. Oh my, it would almost take as long as under, ALMOST :D

Try playing this map on Marathon. Oh my, it would almost take as long as under, ALMOST :D

Scruffy had his heart set on this map last year for jelly marathon, It was absolute dogshit to play on though unfortunately. especially with GDI's epically unbalanced homing lightspeed rocket humvee.

the only reason it would take as long as under is because each base had so many buildings, and you had to hit a mission just getting to the other teams base. every aspect of the map is a complete drag.

Scruffy had his heart set on this map last year for jelly marathon, It was absolute dogshit to play on though unfortunately. especially with GDI's epically unbalanced homing lightspeed rocket humvee.

the only reason it would take as long as under is because each base had so many buildings, and you had to hit a mission just getting to the other teams base. every aspect of the map is a complete drag.

Yeah, but guess what? 32 Vs 32. Hmm, with those numbers, i could besiege the enemy base. I guess you must really hate planetside. Yet, that game seemed to be succesfull, even with such a large map. With enough players, the biggest of maps don't have to look like a deserted landscape. Besides, the map isn't even made yet. What if the maker of the map decides to get reasonable and makes it smaller before it gets released in this game, huh?

Yeah, but guess what? 32 Vs 32. Hmm, with those numbers, i could besiege the enemy base. I guess you must really hate planetside. Yet, that game seemed to be succesfull, even with such a large map. With enough players, the biggest of maps don't have to look like a deserted landscape. Besides, the map isn't even made yet. What if the maker of the map decides to get reasonable and makes it smaller before it gets released in this game, huh?

I love planetside, but that is totally different to this game. even with 32 vs 32 the original cairo just would not be enjoyable. 100 vs 100 might be doable anything less and just nope. brings tears to the eyes in the same way exposure to raw onions does.

Titan knew how to make some decent graphics, but his gameplay fundamentals were... lackluster, and that's really being nice about it. Most of his maps suffered from Too Fucking Big and Empty syndrome. They were always Stealth Tank/sniper matches. STanks could go anywhere unhindered (on Terrace, they could even climb those big dirt mountains and attack the AGT even easier from there for extra lol) and good luck trying to do anything with infantry - as PG said, you'd need hiking boots.

Big has to be done right. I always ask my wife to stop setting up Catan with the largest possible map size (we've got all of the expansions) when we're only playing with three people. She loves big maps, but they play terribly with only three or four people. Far too many custom maps suffered from TFBES like Titan's work generally did. I never did get why people were so averse to adding foliage, rocks, et al.

I never did get why people were so averse to adding foliage, rocks, et al.

it hunders their sniping. snipers complain and cockwave the most out of any player in the history of renegade, even SBH.

thou shalt not block their scope. hell hath no fury.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to sound crazy, but: why not just add a teleporter to specific parts of the map, like Halo's Blood Gulch map had? That could actually make it reasonable, and pretty cool.