Get rid of Death Crates

I know, I know. I'm a heretic.

But I just came to a revelation: death crates suck! Every time I play Walls Flying, there are several random nuke and ion blasts up on the top of the plateau thing. Yeah, it was kind of funny at first. You're just wanking around and then BOOM... But it quickly got old. I thought nukes and ions were supposed to be these epic superweapons which only happen when you successfully plant a beacon. Not random and "funny" little quirks to the game. They really detract from the seriousness quality...

Not to mention, with any small chance of opening a death crate, people are going to generally avoid it at all costs. That's not how it happened in the RTS CnC games. In those games, people literally raced to the crates every single time. There wasn't a risk.

Now, I'm not saying we should remove all risk from the crates. But it seems like right now opening one is like playing Russian roulette. That's not how it should be. Crates should provide an almost tactical intervention into the game; anyone at all can gain an advantage. But the way things are going, no one ever goes for the crates. When they do, it's usually not even worth it. There should be a little bit of risk (like gaining a random character that might be cheaper), but they shouldn't kill you. Ever.

Other than being funny and/or frustrating, what do death crates really add to the game? Nothing good, in my opinion.

Sorry, but this is exactly the point of a crate. If there is no risk factor then why the hell even add them to the game, if the only thing they could do is inbalance the game by giving the enemy an advantage. This has been in most C&C games. The chance you get a death crate should be made smaller though.

They are in crates so you should be really desperate to get a crate. They are not another money-income, but are there to help players to keep the game playable if they have no credits or when you have lost a structure.

I don't mind death crates, I just hate that they create an ion blast or nuke along with it. Simple death crates are better.

I definitely agree with that. Superweapon crates suck ass.

I just think there shouldn't be such a great risk in opening crates. It seems like 1/4 of all crates are death crates. At least we could lower that to a more sensible number, like 2% or something.

; ==================================================================

; ==== CRATE PROBABILITIES ====

; ==== have to be 1.0 (100%) total summed up! ====

; ==== 0.0 means it is disabled, some crates will never ====

; ==== spawn vehicles, this is set by map (like in tunnel) ====

; CrateProbabilities[0] - Death Crate ====

; CrateProbabilities[1] - Money Crate ====

; CrateProbabilities[2] - Character Crate ====

; CrateProbabilities[3] - Vehicle Crate ====

; CrateProbabilities[4] - Spy Crate ====

; CrateProbabilities[5] - Refill Crate ====

[RenX_Game.Rx_CratePickup]

CrateProbabilities[0]=0.100000

CrateProbabilities[1]=0.300000

CrateProbabilities[2]=0.200000

CrateProbabilities[3]=0.100000

CrateProbabilities[4]=0.050000

CrateProbabilities[5]=0.250000

MoneyCrateProbabilityWhenPPorRefDestroyed=0.400000

RandomCharCrateProbabilityWhenRacksDestoyed=0.300000

RandomVehicleCrateProbabiliyWhenWFDestroyed=0.250000

SpyCrateProbabilityGainPerSec=0.0001

MaxSpyCrateProbability=0.200000

From the DefaultRenegadeX.ini

There were no MASSIVE EXPLOSION OF DEATH in the old Renegade, was there?

Death crates are fine.

Dumb, ridiculous nuclear explosions out of nowhere that also kills all your allies around (even vehicles) is just ridiculous, in every way. Gameplay wise its ridiculous, and it looks utterly ridiculous, and is just out of place. Yes, its funny the first time it happened in the entire game, but thats it.

So death crates should just kill you. Bam, thats it.

There were no MASSIVE EXPLOSION OF DEATH in the old Renegade, was there?

Death crates are fine.

Dumb, ridiculous nuclear explosions out of nowhere that also kills all your allies around (even vehicles) is just ridiculous, in every way. Gameplay wise its ridiculous, and it looks utterly ridiculous, and is just out of place. Yes, its funny the first time it happened in the entire game, but thats it.

So death crates should just kill you. Bam, thats it.

Well, they did in the original. That's why i've learnt the hard way to keep a distance from someone who's about to pick up a crate... Kaboom!

Looooool I got more spy crates than death crates.

Interesting.

EDIT: For a bit of clarification, I feel indifferent on the crates because I'm not really affected by them. I've been hit once with one. I've gotten two different spy crates same match. Perhaps the Death crates need to be in between spy crates and it's normal cost right now?

I enjoy watching people get the superweapon death crates. Like xD_ERROR_xD said, it's part of the original game and everyone always gets a good laugh from 4-5 people and/or vehicles dying at the same time lol. If you guys dislike Renegade why don't you guys play a game like Call of Duty, BattleField 3 or another dumbed down game designed for 13-year-olds where everyone is about equal in skill?

Well in original it was not included ;)

there were only money crates :)

I would say reduce the amount of superweapon deathcrates ...

maybe normal explosions would do the job aswell ...

or replace some superweapon crates with a tiberium dust cloud that just damages everyone in a small area for like 3 seconds

and maybe more money crates with amounts between 1 and 150 credits

i am not against deathcrates, i just feel very very bored of superweapon deathcrates ...

they should be rare ... it is like you be overfeed of something you really enjoy eating

superweaponeffects are very nice and i know why the devs want to show them ... but it is far far far too much!

I said this in another thread but I really do not like the superweapon death crates for three reasons.

1. They look absolutely ridiculous.

2. The are obnoxiously loud and make it hard to hear important announcements such as a beacon being placed or a building being attacked.

3. They harm people who just happen to be nearby. All crates should only effect the person to picked them up. Someone elses' death crate should not hit me even if I'm standing right next to them.

I said this in another thread but I really do not like the superweapon death crates for three reasons.

1. They look absolutely ridiculous.

2. The are obnoxiously loud and make it hard to hear important announcements such as a beacon being placed or a building being attacked.

3. They harm people who just happen to be nearby. All crates should only effect the person to picked them up. Someone elses' death crate should not hit me even if I'm standing right next to them.

Agree,

especially 3 is extreemly lame especially places like near the bunkers on Field.

I lost up to 3 ramjet units from this position at the bunker because people picked up the crate next to me. Not funny! :mad:

The c4 crate sounds good. It could be so that if your teammate picks it up and you are right next to him you also die and that would be your own fault of going in too close. The fps drops from the nuke/ion crates are kinda overkill and we could easily do without the whole animation and random deaths

I enjoy watching people get the superweapon death crates. Like xD_ERROR_xD said, it's part of the original game and everyone always gets a good laugh from 4-5 people and/or vehicles dying at the same time lol. If you guys dislike Renegade why don't you guys play a game like Call of Duty, BattleField 3 or another dumbed down game designed for 13-year-olds where everyone is about equal in skill?

Death crates were part of the original game, yes. I love Renegade. In fact it's like one of the only FPS games I play. The other being TF2.

I've evolved my opinion since posting this. I do think there should be death crates, but:

1 - They should be less common than they are now.

2 - Superweapon death crates are fucking stupid and everyone knows it. You shouldn't die because your friend was unlucky enough to get one. That's messed up. Also, they really don't make sense as far as the whole semi-realism of Renegade goes. They don't even make sense graphically.

Another issues is the fact that the crates are so huge and placed in such central areas that avoiding them is a significant challenge at times. Like the crate that spawns by the waterfall in Field. That's smack-dab in the middle of a lot of infantry traffic, and I've actually fallen off the cliff a few times trying to avoid running into the crate. Crates really should be more off to the side or in areas where you need a sharp eye to catch them.

I agree with changing nuke/ion crates into C4 crates. I also personally think that 40% of all crates should be mere refill crates all the time. Refill crates are pretty much useless right now. A crate being a refill crate isn't reliable enough to justify the potential (and likely) suicide that you will get for picking up a crate. So most of the time people get a refill crate with a fresh and disposable character who doesn't need a refill.

Should be like this:

• Refill = 40%
  • 1-150 Credits = 15%
  • 151-500 Credits = 5%
  • New Character (Free) = 15%
  • New Character (under 1000 credits) = 5%
  • New Character (1000 credits) = 1%
  • Light vehicle = 3%
  • Heavy vehicle = 0.5%
  • Death (C4)= 10%
  • Death (Superweapon)= 0.5%
  • Spy = 5% (the Spy in its current state as non SBH)

this means a:

25.5% chance to have a dissadavntage if you count the free character as such

55% chance for a light advantage

15% medium advantage

4.5% higher advantage

25.5% is a significant risk for higher characters but a risk that could be taken in certain situations

Even I was not affected by superweapon crates, i support the idea to reduce the chance to get some. I just want to mention that in Tiberian Sun the crates had this "special ability" and I lost a lot of units through this.

Praise omega79 for his maths. Just an idea: Instead of the big BOOM, a little cloud of tiberian gas which floats e.g. for 10 to 20 secs. around would be an evil and interesting effect :>