Major Inbalance Obelisk Goldrush

Evono

This map is VERY nod sided on the Infranty ways...

Already the placement of HON and bar , barr is directly to the Back entry , while the hon is abit far PP Gdi is EASY reachable as sbh ( even with that small lolgun placed there just run through... ) While the nod pp isnt easy reachable

Not only that, Nod can avoid the bridge completely by jumping in the water (also worth noting that you can't be harmed when swimming) and even get as far as the GDI refinery. They can also get behind the powerplant and across the river to the weapons factory.

While GDI infantry can hit the HoN and Power Plant from the middle hill, it's not nearly as easy to pull of as it is for Nod to sneak in the back.

Either GDI needs better defence placement or Nod base needs to be easier to infiltrate.

Mine the bridge and you won't have any problems. Mine the bridge btw. Did I mention mine the bridge? You should mine the bridge.

As GDI I can get into the Nod base without being shot by the obelisk, requires at most a 5s hiding behind a tree for the obelisk to cooldown. In fact, I can reach ANY building in the Nod base on foot. Power plant, refinery, airstrip, you name it.

Swimming in the water does need to be fixed. You can do it by jumping over the rocks by the GDI side. GDI can easily mine this as well though. You have more than enough mines in the 30 limit to cover both, the only buildings susceptible to an APC rush are the AGT and one side of the refinery, so that's 4 spots to mine.

Mine the bridge and you won't have any problems. Mine the bridge btw. Did I mention mine the bridge? You should mine the bridge.

As GDI I can get into the Nod base without being shot by the obelisk, requires at most a 5s hiding behind a tree for the obelisk to cooldown. In fact, I can reach ANY building in the Nod base on foot. Power plant, refinery, airstrip, you name it.

Swimming in the water does need to be fixed. You can do it by jumping over the rocks by the GDI side. GDI can easily mine this as well though. You have more than enough mines in the 30 limit to cover both, the only buildings susceptible to an APC rush are the AGT and one side of the refinery, so that's 4 spots to mine.

Mines are limited, if you mine the bridge you don't have mines in all the buildings. Not to mention mines are disarmable.

Base defenses are supposed to cover the whole base IMO.

Mines are limited, if you mine the bridge you don't have mines in all the buildings. Not to mention mines are disarmable.

But the whole point is that you don't need to mine all the buildings. Mine the infantry entrance and mine the buildings near the vehicle entrance. You don't need to mine the WF/PP/Barracks, how are the enemies going to get there? Nod would need an APC with several thousand HP to cross the distance. Of course mines are disarmable, your team also has eyes and can see when an enemy is doing so.

Base defenses covering only an incomplete part of the base is one of the best things about these maps. Having multiple avenues of attack while still having a strong passive defense against being overrun by vehicles makes for a fun game.

But the whole point is that you don't need to mine all the buildings. Mine the infantry entrance and mine the buildings near the vehicle entrance. You don't need to mine the WF/PP/Barracks, how are the enemies going to get there? Nod would need an APC with several thousand HP to cross the distance. Of course mines are disarmable, your team also has eyes and can see when an enemy is doing so.

Base defenses covering only an incomplete part of the base is one of the best things about these maps. Having multiple avenues of attack while still having a strong passive defense against being overrun by vehicles makes for a fun game.

Yeah it would, but GDI doesn't have an alternative. It's either go all in with tanks, or nothing. Nod can just run into GDI's base with relative impunity, the same cannot be said for GDI.

Nod can run into the bar without even being touched and the only thing defending the powerplant is one measly guard tower, same with the refinery just run behind the crates and you're home free. If GDI were to try it the obelisk is going zaaaaaaap. Even if GDI somehow make it to the hon there's no way they can continue on to the powerplant. Not only do they still have to contend with the all-seeing Obelisk, there's a turret back there that is ungodly accurate and you'll never be able to run past it, unlike the GDI's gaudtower to their PP.

I want this map to be fun, but there's a big hole in GDI's base that unless is constantly defended, will lose. And camping the back of GDI's base the entire round is not my idea of fun.

And here's a fun tip for you: Nod's Chem Warrior is only 150 credits and can solo a building if uninterrupted.

I just want to point out how insanely cool getting sniped by the obelisk looks in those pictures. Standing by its self in a clearing from far away, then boom I noticed you sneaking there. For this reason, I think you shouldn't be able to jump in the water, and just mining the bridge should be fine.

Yeah it would, but GDI doesn't have an alternative. It's either go all in with tanks, or nothing. Nod can just run into GDI's base with relative impunity, the same cannot be said for GDI.

GDI certainly has an alternative. They can easily rush into the Hand (1 obelisk shot can't even kill a high tier character), or shoot it from afar with gunners. A solo character can also get to any structure in the Nod bad without being shot. Furthermore keep in mind that Nod has the underground tunnel in their base, an APC can drop off people at the edge of the airstrip and they can run through the tunnel into the obelisk or refinery without being shot at.

Nod can run into the bar without even being touched and the only thing defending the powerplant is one measly guard tower, same with the refinery just run behind the crates and you're home free. If GDI were to try it the obelisk is going zaaaaaaap. Even if GDI somehow make it to the hon there's no way they can continue on to the powerplant. Not only do they still have to contend with the all-seeing Obelisk, there's a turret back there that is ungodly accurate and you'll never be able to run past it, unlike the GDI's gaudtower to their PP.

Nod can only rush into the bar without being touched if GDI doesn't mine. If GDI doesn't mine on a map where they need to mine they deserve to lose the game. This isn't imbalance, mining is an essential part of the game and both sides are expected to utilize it where needed.

I want this map to be fun, but there's a big hole in GDI's base that unless is constantly defended, will lose. And camping the back of GDI's base the entire round is not my idea of fun.

Then don't play Hotwire. Be prepared to lose if no one else on your team will. Having characters ready to respond to an enemy attack on any entrance is rather critical on all maps, not just this one.

And here's a fun tip for you: Nod's Chem Warrior is only 150 credits and can solo a building if uninterrupted.

Yeah, that's basically a joke. The amount of time it takes means any half-assed team will respond. The only character that can take down buildings solo effectively is the technician/Hotwire.

The only problem I have with this map personally is how worthless the tiberium field route is for vehicles attacking. It's too far away from anything to be useful for any kind of attacks on buildings for either team.

See above tip on APC rushes through the Nod underground tunnel. For Nod the path from the tiberium field to the AGT is much shorter as well. I rather like the tiberium fields. It's far back enough that the enemy controlling the center can't automatically destroy your harvester every time, yet it's also not perpetually safe like in Island. More granularity in map control is a good thing.

I just want to point out how insanely cool getting sniped by the obelisk looks in those pictures. Standing by its self in a clearing from far away, then boom I noticed you sneaking there. For this reason, I think you shouldn't be able to jump in the water, and just mining the bridge should be fine.

Actually, not being able to jump over the rocks and into the river would solve a lot of problems. If the bridge was the only way at all, that would help offset the imbalance tremendously. Now if only you could get to the Hon on Nod's side without the noticing glamor of an Obelisk...

Just fix it so you can get up at the end of the river on both sides. That should balance things out a bit.

That or make it so both ends are dead ends and you can only jump in and get out at the middle. If the river flavors one side more then the other either way, change its length/position. Don't set it so you can't hop over the rocks though, that's just immersion breaking and restricts movement/removes locations that can be fought over. A battlefield should have more then just 1 or 2 paths of approach, at least in the middle. And especially on larger maps like Goldrush.

"You can mine the bridge to stop nod from going in" Yeah, no. One person will take the hit from the mines and they're gone. One tech can disarm mines and they're gone.

You can flip the barracks so it's facing the other way or remove the rocks that are between the agt and the bar too.

Please stop trying to justify terrible map design with bandaid "fixes" like mining the place.

In the short time window before you remine a sbh can easily sneak by.

It's a terrible position to be in when a sakura is camping the bridge as there's only one exit.

Base defences should cover the whole base for both teams.

"A havoc can survive an obelisk hit" meanwhile nod doesn't even need to encounter the agt.

"You don't have to mine all the buildings" What about spies? What about apc rushes?

I haven't played much of this map as I find it horrible so I might be wrong on some of these points.

I think it depends on your philosophy on things. I perdonally find it great that the base defs do not cover all buildings. I hate how scattered the base is, though. If anything theycould make it easier for Gdi to get to the Hon and regroup some of the other buildings so it is less easy for Nod and Gdi to go to the pp for example. Reminds me a bit of Glacier btw.

"You can mine the bridge to stop nod from going in" Yeah, no. One person will take the hit from the mines and they're gone. One tech can disarm mines and they're gone.

You can flip the barracks so it's facing the other way or remove the rocks that are between the agt and the bar too.

Repair guns take *forever* to remove mines. Way more than enough time for your team to respond. If a team of characters is attacking then you should need a team of characters to defend, this is entirely reasonable.

Please stop trying to justify terrible map design with bandaid "fixes" like mining the place.

hahaha, what? This is literally what mining was designed to do. Next I expect you'll complain about armor being OP and then say that using anti tank weapons is just a bandaid "fix".

In the short time window before you remine a sbh can easily sneak by.

You can see a SBH at short range. Not a problem. And a SBH sneaking through hardly dooms your entire game. This is going to scare you but there are entire maps where SBH can sneak everywhere.

It's a terrible position to be in when a sakura is camping the bridge as there's only one exit.

Get a Marksman and shoot her then? I smell free points.

Base defences should cover the whole base for both teams.

Please find me which page of the Holy Handbook of Renegade this is stated on.

"A havoc can survive an obelisk hit" meanwhile nod doesn't even need to encounter the agt.

But as I said, individual characters don't even need to be hit by the obelisk. A Hotwire can get into the Hand by ducking behind trees without problems. They can also jump in the water and get to the airstrip or the refinery (and from the refinery to the obelisk) without any difficulty at all. The only time you have to get hit is if you are rushing as a team, at which point one character getting hurt a bit won't matter.

"You don't have to mine all the buildings" What about spies? What about apc rushes?

Spies - Yes, you have eyes don't you?

APC rushes - Are you even reading my posts so far? Most of your buildings are so far back behind your defenses that the distance to be traveled alone makes them unrushable.

Put a gun emplacement similiar to the one at Whiteout at both bridges (locked to their respoective teams), and give the obelisk a lower range. In C&C Renegade, the AGT had a near unlimited range, for good reason. It had to compensate for low firepower. The nod obelisk instead has it's range doubled, keeps charged for a while and still does 300 damage to anything it touches.

• Totem Arts Staff

There's two issues atm. GDI can get to the HoN but only expert players can do it atm, should be made a little easier.

Nod cannot jump into the water anymore from the bridge, but they can from some rocks next to it.

That'll be addressed, other than that GDI has some VERY good options of destroying Nod base, you guys just haven't found it yet. :P Other than that, GDI bridge is easily mined, Barracks has 1 entrance, there's a guard tower right next to it, next to the GDI barracks can be mined too.

People hardly make use of the Tiberium routes too, Nod stealth tanks seem to because the gameplay is conducive to that, I hardly see GDI people destroying Nod harvesters in the game... I hope as time goes by people organize and learn that not every map plays the same and this one especially was designed to shake things up a bit.

GDI also can just gunner rush the HoN btw while there is no such option for Nod.

A lot of people are saying "just do ___" to get into Nod. But if NOD can just waltz into the GDI base to that one section without having to be creative about it, then that's imbalanced.

I.e.

A GDI Engineer runs to not. He hides behind rocks and trees to get into the base to avoid the long range of the Obelisk. Meanwhile a NOD Engineer runs right on in and isn't slowed down by having to dodge.

The issue there is that the NOD have a speed and time advantage to get to their location, and no chance of dying by the GDI Base defenses. Whilst the GDI DO have the danger of being killed by base defenses. That means the GDI have to mine and defend that section more than the NOD would have to. Which means using up their mines on their mine limit that could be used else where. I know people will keep saying "just mine ___" or dodge but if you want it balanced then both teams have to go through the same kind of loop holes in order to win, really.

But that's just how I see it.

Repair guns take *forever* to remove mines. Way more than enough time for your team to respond. If a team of characters is attacking then you should need a team of characters to defend, this is entirely reasonable.
But people disarmed them in renegade and it worked well didn't it? Or did you just turn around when you saw mines.
hahaha, what? This is literally what mining was designed to do. Next I expect you'll complain about armor being OP and then say that using anti tank weapons is just a bandaid "fix".

I never "complained" about anything being op and this isn't a very good analogy. But whatever, good point.

You can see a SBH at short range. Not a problem. And a SBH sneaking through hardly dooms your entire game. This is going to scare you but there are entire maps where SBH can sneak everywhere.

They usually carry nukes.

Good luck throwing rocks at a tank. You're doing next to no damage while they can one shot you.

There is no written rule but that's what happened in all the vanilla maps and isn't that kind of the point?

I'm sorry that I'm not patrolling the base 24/7

But people disarmed them in renegade and it worked well didn't it? Or did you just turn around when you saw mines.

If an enemy is rushing you the rush generally fails if they have to wait for 20s outside of the enemy base.

They usually carry nukes.

And? As I said, SBH nukes are far worse in maps without base defenses at all. Compare Goldrush to something like Walls, where a nuke ontop of a building can be defended by Sakuras sniping engineers from the center.

Good luck throwing rocks at a tank. You're doing next to no damage while they can one shot you.

A single headshot will take off ~25%, and you are free. It's not hard to lie in wait until the Sakura exposes herself to snipe someone else.

There is no written rule but that's what happened in all the vanilla maps and isn't that kind of the point?

There's maps with full base defense coverage, maps with no base defense coverage. Why not a map with in between? Variety of maps encourages variety of tactics.

I'm sorry that I'm not patrolling the base 24/7

You may not, but your team should be. If you are playing a 16v16 or a 20v20 then both teams should pretty much always have a few players on every route pressuring the enemy in the middle. Checking out players who appear to be on your team running back into your base should be a fairly common operation. Mines are intended to be the last line of defense, not the first.

Even if a spy gets in, unless they are a technician (do technician spies exist?) they still have to plant a nuke to kill a structure, and that's just a repeat of the SBH scenario. If anything spies are imbalanced in GDI's favour. GDI spies can easily get into the Nod base through the underground tunnel and (spoiler) ion cannon the airstrip from underground. I have yet to actually face a Nod team who even had a chance of disarming the tunnel beacon.

There's two issues atm. GDI can get to the HoN but only expert players can do it atm, should be made a little easier.

Nod cannot jump into the water anymore from the bridge, but they can from some rocks next to it.

That'll be addressed, other than that GDI has some VERY good options of destroying Nod base, you guys just haven't found it yet. :P Other than that, GDI bridge is easily mined, Barracks has 1 entrance, there's a guard tower right next to it, next to the GDI barracks can be mined too.

People hardly make use of the Tiberium routes too, Nod stealth tanks seem to because the gameplay is conducive to that, I hardly see GDI people destroying Nod harvesters in the game... I hope as time goes by people organize and learn that not every map plays the same and this one especially was designed to shake things up a bit.

GDI also can just gunner rush the HoN btw while there is no such option for Nod.

You can hit the GDI AGT from the tiberium route without exposing your vehicle to the AGT but you can't do the same with the Nod obelisk. The Tiberium entrance of Nod base is also protected by a gun turret which is pretty effective against both infantry and vehicles.

The AGT is also a lot closer to the GDI tib entrance than Nod Obelisk is. It's impossible to get an APC to the Obelisk before it's destroyed but you can easily get even a buggy to the AGT

Nod can easily infiltrate the GDI base using the infantry passage around the tib field. Even with full base defences, Nod infantry can get as far as the GDI war factory without any defences reacting.

GDI can't even get into the infantry passages without exposing themselves to the obelisk. And once they do make it around the back of the base, there's nowhere for them to go that isn't covered by the obelisk. They can't even get into the underground tunnels fast enough.

The biggest problem is that the Nod base is pretty much completely covered by their base defences while GDI have very limited defence cover. There's too little cover in Nod base to allow for infantry to infiltrate or even for an effective APC rush.

I really don't think being able to shoot over the cliffs or from afar with gunner is a good enough compensation for GDIs poor defence set up. I shudder to think how this map would have played out if that rock in front of the main entrance was still there.

• Totem Arts Staff

Haha what are you on about?

You can drive an APC right up to the Obelisk / Refinery...

You can still shoot the Obelisk with an MLRS without retaliation...

You can infiltrate the Nod base with a character easy if the Obelisk is either distracted or you go with 2 people, or you go with a $1000 character.

Pressure on the HoN or attacking harvesters and good teamwork will break Nod just as good.

Just that nobody does it.

Voice IP + decent strategies and playing your team's strengths will work out in time. This map is no Field where you can lazily hang back and have (no)fun in the grinder.

--> the Warfactory path will be fixed because that atm really is too easy, although beacons planted there are very easy to get rid of too tbh. GDI's base is much tighter because they don't have an airstrip to deal with.

The only problem I have with this map personally is how worthless the tiberium field route is for vehicles attacking. It's too far away from anything to be useful for any kind of attacks on buildings for either team.

See above tip on APC rushes through the Nod underground tunnel. For Nod the path from the tiberium field to the AGT is much shorter as well. I rather like the tiberium fields. It's far back enough that the enemy controlling the center can't automatically destroy your harvester every time, yet it's also not perpetually safe like in Island. More granularity in map control is a good thing.

I'm not saying it's something horrible that ruins the map for me. The lowest point of the map for me is the tiberium field locations, but it's overall a minor problem. I disagree that they are done as well as you seem to believe. I do agree that tiberium fields that are right next to the refinery are stupid, earn too much throw away credits for team members, and make harvester harassment impossible. I like that fact about these fields in question, but what I don't like about them is the route into either base from there is too exposed to be useful for anything other than a suicide APC rush (that will likely end poorly anyway). Even with the tib field route being undefended by players if you rush through the Nod tib field you have a long way to cover while the Ob is shooting you. I havn't tried, but I assume that the AGT route is similarly bad. The only thing I think would solve this is if there was some kind of cover near the base sides of the fields. Like a large rock. As it stands the route is rarely useful and a deathtrap in most situations. Who knows though. Maybe I'll find a use for that route after some careful testing.

I'm cool with the map overall though and in fact think it's probably the best designed new map. Not my favorite (that'd be Lakeside even though it has flaws too) but the best designed. I love maps that are huge with plenty of nuanced areas. That's why I liked Glacier in old Ren so much. People cried about that map all the time too and yet it was my favorite BECAUSE of the things people didn't like. Most people want easy arena maps that are exactly symmetrical and straightforward. That's why Walls, Field, and Complex are so loved.

I really enjoy this map and I think the balance is fine. People just need to get used to the game a bit first and understand you can't use the same tactics on every map. Should be fine after a few weeks of playing. :P

I like that fact about these fields in question, but what I don't like about them is the route into either base from there is too exposed to be useful for anything other than a suicide APC rush (that will likely end poorly anyway). Even with the tib field route being undefended by players if you rush through the Nod tib field you have a long way to cover while the Ob is shooting you. I havn't tried, but I assume that the AGT route is similarly bad. The only thing I think would solve this is if there was some kind of cover near the base sides of the fields. Like a large rock. As it stands the route is rarely useful and a deathtrap in most situations. Who knows though. Maybe I'll find a use for that route after some careful testing.

Check the Nod base, there is a fairly large underground tunnel that leads from the edge of the airstrip to right under the Ob/Ref, with a 3rd exit that can get to the Nod PP (you have to ninja behind rocks to avoid an obelisk shot, but it's the back of the base where you will probably be safe for the 5s wait). And to mention it again: You can beacon from below the airstrip in the tunnel, Nod is incredibly weak to this attack.

Tiberium field->AGT is definitely more than possible, it's a very short distance to drive.

There is a large obstruction near the tiberium fields that can be used for cover and a quick repair before the final charge. I wouldn't be opposed to widening it a bit though.

Check the Nod base, there is a fairly large underground tunnel that leads from the edge of the airstrip to right under the Ob/Ref, with a 3rd exit that can get to the Nod PP (you have to ninja behind rocks to avoid an obelisk shot, but it's the back of the base where you will probably be safe for the 5s wait). And to mention it again: You can beacon from below the airstrip in the tunnel, Nod is incredibly weak to this attack.

Tiberium field->AGT is definitely more than possible, it's a very short distance to drive.

There is a large obstruction near the tiberium fields that can be used for cover and a quick repair before the final charge. I wouldn't be opposed to widening it a bit though.

I actually never explored the Nod base much. I've always spawned on the GDI team when joining a server (and in skirmish) I've not switched teams either. My experience with the Nod side has mostly been limited to blowing up the HON, PP, OB, and REF from overland routes. I had no idea they had a tunnel.

IMO, it's a very good idea to load every map in skirmish with 0 bots and just try different approaches into each base. Goldrush in particular is much bigger and more complex than the other maps available, so its understandable that a lot of players haven't really fully explored the limits of what can be accomplished.

I bet half of people playing don't even realize that there are infantry paths behind both the tiberium fields. As GDI you can get back there as a Hotwire, Harvwalk a bit into the nod base, duck behind some vehicle debris and end up in the Nod tunnels. And you're going through a back path where Nod almost never goes and which gives you almost no exposure visually. If anything it's a much stronger attack than Nod running straight up to the barracks in plain view.

gdjWf0wR-vM

EDIT: And you can test all of this yourself, don't take the video for my word. You need perfect placement to land your shots with the MRLS from the tib field. It is almost impossible to make if to the Nod tunnels from the tib field infantry path.

Nobody is saying it's not possible but Nod have a clear defensive advantage while GDI have utterly ineffectual defence placement. Heck, even the turret behind the HoN have a sight on the bridge.

Of all the time I've played goldrush, the most effective GDI strat on goldrush has been pure cannon fodder and attrition.

I find it just as easy to get into the Nod buildings. I think you need to experiment with the map more.

gdjWf0wR-vM

EDIT: And you can test all of this yourself, don't take the video for my word. You need perfect placement to land your shots with the MRLS from the tib field.

Both of those positions are basically irrelevant, because an MRLS or an Artillery that exposed to the GDI base is going to get absolutely destroyed by the players you are fighting.

For the APC rush you are intentionally choosing the worst route to rush from (tib field) and still getting in as GDI. I don't see what the complaint is?

For the walking through the tiberium path, you are clearly drawing the fire of the AGT and any team that isn't pants on head retarded will notice you. That means you lose. Walking a very obvious path and drawing fire = nice in theory but useless in practice.

Heck, even the turret behind the HoN have a sight on the bridge.

It can't shoot unless you move closer. Though I would agree in general that Turrets are too effective of an anti-infantry weapon in Renegade X (along with most splash damage sources in general).

It is almost impossible to make if to the Nod tunnels from the tib field infantry path.

It's very, very easy. Circle around to the bunker, drop down and harv walk in, hide behind debris and get to tunnel. I literally managed to do it the first time I tried it out. Do I need to make a video?