Turning off Mouse Acceleration

Rockfire

Since unreal 3 has mouse smoothing and acceleration enabled by default(god knows why) and the lack of any ingame options to change that atm, the only way to turn it off is to go into UDKinput and change the following to false:

RenagedeX/UDKgame/Config/UDKinput.ini

bEnableMouseSmoothing=FALSE

bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE

It should stop or at least lessen the effects.

Edit:

UDKinput will only show when you've loaded and configured the game first.

Edited by Guest

I disagree, at what point does mouse acceleration actually help in this game, that higher DPI's and bigger mousepad's cant provide? This isn't like quake/ut where it made rocket jumping easier. Nearly every gun in this game requires twitch accuracy to be effective with. (obviously repair guns are exempt :P if your just the mr fix it guy)

That being said, I agree with everyone that it should be an option in game, as everyone has their personal preferences.. not sure why people want to be handicapped.. but hey

I disagree, at what point does mouse acceleration actually help in this game, that higher DPI's and bigger mousepad's cant provide? This isn't like quake/ut where it made rocket jumping easier. Nearly every gun in this game requires twitch accuracy to be effective with. (obviously repair guns are exempt :P if your just the mr fix it guy)

That being said, I agree with everyone that it should be an option in game, as everyone has their personal preferences.. not sure why people want to be handicapped.. but hey

The effect of that handicap is exaggerated, and personally, I literally can't play without it. Low sensitivity becomes unplayable, you can barely turn or anything, and high sensitivity is unplayably inaccurate. I never found a good middle ground with acceleration off that I found playable.

And I meant that there is more to aiming than just putting your crosshair where your target is, in a game like this no less, where it constantly changes. You can be good at your mouse on your desktop, doesn't make you a good shot.

I must admit I never had a gaming mouse until a few years ago as I thought it would barely make a difference. However after trying one of my mates I made myself a believer and bought one the next day.. never looked back.

What makes them great for gaming is the higher DPI and faster polling rate, it makes everything feel much smoother and more precise. Those long range headshots you would use to struggle to maintain on a crappy mouse are made easier, especially in conjunction with a proper gaming mouse pad.

You right, it wont make you a better gamer, but it'll definitely help.

Man I sound like a sales rep D:

• 2 weeks later...

Mouse Acceleration is not an inherently bad thing. In fact many/most pro FPS players play with it on. The problem is that the acceleration curve is usually screwed up. A custom driver to allow you to make your own acceleration curve is the best solution.

forgot about this, i used to do the same on UT99, i think on that i used to have X Axis movement normal and Y axis movement lowered, it just suited how i played, i tended to strafe into shots as opposed to frantic mouse movements, might give this a go again.

cheers for the reminder.

• 6 months later...