A Suggestion for Ion Cannon/Nuke Beacons

Nublet

A lot of people have been complaining about not being able to disarm beacons during the last 10 seconds. This is probably due to people being used to the old system, and the fact that, usually in games, you have until a timer runs out to do something about it. I have a small suggestion that should alleviate the confusion/rage about how beacons function.

Currently, 40 seconds (I think) after being deployed, the ion cannon/nuke strikes the beacon. During the first 30 seconds, you can disarm it, during the last 10, the beacon can no longer be disarmed. The timer counts down the whole time.

My suggestion is to start the timer at 30 seconds as soon as the beacon is deployed. When the timer reaches 0, the beacon enters its invulnerable state. 10 seconds later, the ion cannon/nuke hits.

This would keep the overall time until the super weapon hits the same, but would change the timer to reflect how long you have to disarm the beacon, hopefully making this particular aspect of the game easier to understand.

They will probably change the timer sound. However, I think the old way was better. You could disarm a beacon a split second before it went off, therefore the nuke disappear a foot away from a building.

Visually this was stupid but gameplay-wise it was great and very thrilling and if you failed to disarm in time you would die.

They will probably change the timer sound. However, I think the old way was better. You could disarm a beacon a split second before it went off, therefore the nuke disappear a foot away from a building.

Visually this was stupid but gameplay-wise it was great and very thrilling and if you failed to disarm in time you would die.

Agree. It was always thrilling to hear that nuke sound, the whooshing of the missile through the air, as four engineers crowded around a beacon on the last building of the game and saved it with under a second to go.

Frackin' awesome.

It doesn't have to be stupid visually either. It's entirely reasonable for a nuke to not detonate (nukes requiring very precise activation and having numerous failsafes) and the ion cannon could end up improperly focused, turning into a nice big light show. I'd love to see those happen.

Has anyone heard my idea on this? I must have said it about 10 times now...

Keep the old way (repair works until timer is at zero), but if it's within the last 10 seconds, add an animation where the nuke missile just slams into the ground, and maybe kicks up a bunch of dust. Give ION a similar animation; I guess have the light flicker and go out, maybe leaving all that haze and effects just floating in the air. PROBLEM SOLVED! And it will look awesome, too.

The reason we cannot stick with this new way is this:

Imagine you've got a bunch of Noddies defending their beacon, and a bunch of GDIs trying to fight them off and disarm it. This is the case almost every time (in a balanced game not full of noobs, that is). So in the new RenX case, the GDI fails to disarm the nuke, the building is doomed, yet they're still battling the Noddies for the last 10 seconds. I mean, what's the point? In the old Ren case, GDI fails to disarm the nuke and BOOM everybody dies.

Or let's say the Noddies aren't there, and it's just a lone beacon that the engineers didn't get to in time. To have that thing suddenly not be able to be disarmed anymore but still sit there, for you to just step back and watch it all go to ruin, is just disappointing and depressing. To fight until the very last moment is heroic and exciting as hell.

the timer should be the timer to disarm not the timer for the actuall weapon hit the ground!

after the time to defuse is up make a small animation and let the beacon explode

like a timed c4 ... maybe with a smaller blastradius

this would fix:

no more complains about beacons not can be defused

beacons not just dissapear into thin air