Upgrading computer.

Ninja955

First off all, this topic is not about me having any technical errors with Renagade-X.

I, unfortunately, run Renegade-X with ultra low graphics and I get about 20-45 frames a second, which is OK. I'm planning on upgrading my PC because it's really falling behind these days and because I want to play Renagade-X with pleasure.

My current specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core i7-2600 Quad Core running at 3.40 GHz

8.00 GB DDR3 rated at 1333 MHz

GeForce GT 420 with 1GB Dedicated VMemory

Any upgrade suggestions? What should I keep or upgrade, and upgrade to what? Help would be appreciated.

Actually, I think your current system should be more than capable to handle Renegade X in Ultra-High Settings. :confused: Though I admit, I could be wrong here, as I haven't got any first-hand experience with new hardware.

The thing is, even my System, which is about 5 years old and worse than yours, can handle Renegade X High Graphics Settings. So maybe it's a problem with the drivers/windows setup? If that's the case, I'm sure there are some software/hardware pros around who know how to help.

For new good hardware, i always check this thread in the german computerbase forums.

http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showth ... p?t=215394

It's always up to date as far as I know. Even if you don't speak german, you will probably still understand the hardware lists ;)

So... good luck :)

I don't know much about computers, I just used to love C&C Renegade, and want to play this one. I have Windows 7, 2.0GHz processor, GeFore 620 video card, plenty of hard drive space, and 3 Gb of RAM, but it always stalls at the main screen whenever I start. Is it because I do not have enough RAM?

I don't know much about computers, I just used to love C&C Renegade, and want to play this one. I have Windows 7, 2.0GHz processor, GeFore 620 video card, plenty of hard drive space, and 3 Gb of RAM, but it always stalls at the main screen whenever I start. Is it because I do not have enough RAM?

3GB ram don't really get much done these days, 8 or 16 should be the way to go so its certainly possible, also try and update the video drivers if their outdated it might cause problems.

Try http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri and select Unreal Tournament 3 - As this is pretty much like that game when it comes to requirements. Win7 operating system was not available when this product was released, so it is not OFFICIALLY supported and should give you a error or some sort of "?" but that don't matter, watch if the rest gets a green Checkmark

First off all, this topic is not about me having any technical errors with Renagade-X.

I, unfortunately, run Renegade-X with ultra low graphics and I get about 20-45 frames a second, which is OK. I'm planning on upgrading my PC because it's really falling behind these days and because I want to play Renagade-X with pleasure.

My current specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit

Any upgrade suggestions? What should I keep or upgrade, and upgrade to what? Help would be appreciated.

Just upgrade your GPU. You'll get 100+ frames on medium or high with a 650ti or 750ti (or better).

Get a 760 if you have the cash.

You need a new GPU before anything else. Check Tom's Hardware, the community there is always willing to help.

Useful links:

Best GPU's Performance/Cost

Best CPU's Performance/Cost

I'd say go for an EVGA GTX 760 ACX, you can get it for 230 euros from German or Dutch retailers, and 200 pounds from UK Retailers

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/339535/e ... ooler.html

http://www.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/8 ... ss.article

http://www.amazon.de/EVGA-02G-P4-2765-K ... ds=gtx+760

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Nvidia-GeF ... ds=gtx+760

My current specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit

Before you go buying anything go into your Nividia control panel and force it to run of your GPU and not your chipset. I had issues with running the game on low setting till I force it run of the card. So it may help if your not running it on the video card.

I don't have that option when I go to my NVIDIA Control Panel. This gpu came with my pc when I bought it from best buy. I don't expect it to be great. I just want to upgrade it. I'm considering the options you guys gave me. Thanks for the help!

Hmm A friend of mine has a slighty worse gpu and the game runs fine for him though, not excellent but decent enough on normal settings. It's weird you dont have that option though. Is everything updated? Latest drivers etc? Maybe provide a screenshot from your control panel?

Dunno for sure if this might give you a significant increase or not (it did for me and my friends) but its worth a shot right?

As another reference machine to prove your setup should be working well...

Alienware M17x R2

Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz

8GB RAM PC3-10600

A single Radeon HD Mobility 5870

Windows 7 64-bit

I can get 40FPS consistently in all maps if I have all settings on ULTRA. You should be fine. At most, like others are saying, graphics card upgrade.

I prefer Nvidia myself, but this AMD card was the best offering at the time of purchase. I think we have proven here that AMD cards don't perform as well in Ren-X?

Alienware M17x R2

Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz

8GB RAM PC3-10600

Windows 7 64-bit

I can get 40FPS consistently in all maps if I have all settings on ULTRA. You should be fine. At most, like others are saying, graphics card upgrade.

I prefer Nvidia myself, but this AMD card was the best offering at the time of purchase. I think we have proven here that AMD cards don't perform as well in Ren-X?

GeForce GT 420 =/= Radeon HD Mobility 5870.

A Radeon HD Mobility 5870 is equivalent to a GeForce GTX 470.

@OP: Just checking, you're not talking about a laptop, right?

If you're talking about a desktop computer, I'd personally recommend going with any of these here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... gesize=100

You pretty much can't go wrong with them. Obviously, the 760 will perform better than the 660, but I'm not sure of your budget (50 dollars is the difference though, and if you can do it go for the 760.) Of course, if you think you can hold out for another bit, the 800 series will be releasing sometime within the next three months.

Alienware M17x R2

Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz

8GB RAM PC3-10600

Windows 7 64-bit

GeForce GT 420 =/= Radeon HD Mobility 5870.

A Radeon HD Mobility 5870 is equivalent to a GeForce GTX 470.

@OP: Just checking, you're not talking about a laptop, right?

If you're talking about a desktop computer, I'd personally recommend going with any of these here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... gesize=100

You pretty much can't go wrong with them. Obviously, the 760 will perform better than the 660, but I'm not sure of your budget (50 dollars is the difference though, and if you can do it go for the 760.) Of course, if you think you can hold out for another bit, the 800 series will be releasing sometime within the next three months.

a Mobility Radeon HD 5870 is more like at GTS 450 desktop card, than a GTX 470 card, most of you guys using laptops should buy a desktop pc, or stop trying to play games on your low end laptops