Random next map insted of voting

Elliott

agreed. Some maps are over used.

Also, an option for how big a base is would be helpful (either by voting or better yet random to keep things mixed up and interesting), along with air being on or off. Was hoping I'd be able to do that in at least skirmish against bots.

It seems like everyone on renegade x always wants walls flying.

It really gets annoying because every time you go on a game it is normally on walls, and it gets boring.

What about random maps instead of voting? It should make it even.

Will probably just end up having a bunch of 24/7 servers. At least with the vote, there's a chance of a different map being played.

From my experience since i vote quick people tend to gravitate to whatever is already being voted on but yeah it is usually the handful of good maps i like so im satisfied with it as is. def need 24/7 dedicated servers for maps. let the lamers play on the bad maps if they want.

I like Walls, I actually think people gravitate way too much toward Field, which is.. well, I'm sorry, I just think its such a terrible map, too perfectly split into a sad choke point of boredom and boring tunnel fights.

Map aside, I thought of the same thing. Less voting, more rotation.

agreed. Some maps are over used.

Also, an option for how big a base is would be helpful (either by voting or better yet random to keep things mixed up and interesting), along with air being on or off. Was hoping I'd be able to do that in at least skirmish against bots.

It would be neat if the same maps had multiple "variants". Lots of possibilities there, don't need to have every map be just one setup. Could bring a lot of variety without having to create entirely new maps, which means a LOT less work.

From my experience since i vote quick people tend to gravitate to whatever is already being voted on but yeah it is usually the handful of good maps i like so im satisfied with it as is. def need 24/7 dedicated servers for maps. let the lamers play on the bad maps if they want.

Or maybe you just happen to be gravitated to the map other people are gravitating too? I mean, I vote for mesa2 half the time and look how often that gets played. Like ONCE in my 20+ hours of playing.

i like the classic rotation system

or a different voting system where not always all maps can be voted

I agree! Rotation (or random) would be better than a vote, once I played in a server with Walls_Flying 5 or 6 times IN A ROW because it always won like 5 to 4 votes against other maps.

They could make it like the first choice in the vote is "Random" or "Next in rotation." Then, they can set up a system that puts automatic votes for things that aren't being voted for often.

So, the first choice would have a default of like 6 votes or something. The map that was just played would have 0 default. The map that was previously played would have default of 1 and the map before that would be defaulted to 2. All of the other maps would be defaulted to 3.

That way, if players want to win a map vote, it has to first surpass the default 6 votes of the first choice (which means they would need at least 4 votes to be considered). That makes it less likely that a voted map will win (but still be possible) and more likely that the next map will be the next in rotation. It also makes it even less likely that the same map will be played too frequently.

Why not just have 2 random maps to select from after each game? That way there's a good chance each map will get played at least once a day, even if there are a lot of maps.

Maybe. I still think a random map picker and an improved map skip voting option is the best.

Or what if instead of voting for what map you want to play next, you vote for the map you want to play least. Then the map with the least votes would be played next.

I can see people voting for what everybody else is voting on in that case, just as they do now. Besides, usually only 6-7 players out of 40 actually use the voting option, so Im assuming most of the map options will still be at 0. This also doesnt translate well once more maps start showing up.