no weight:

Legitsu

vehicles seem to have very little mass resulting in a wide variety of odd conditions

1. they `feel` like they are on-ice or floating driving and turning is very Unnatural and frankly "odd" feeling it feels like vehicles are just simply a model with no real traction or weight to them at all

2. its possible to flip the MLS by ramming it

3. getting hung on objects such as baracides allows you to no clip though walls

I THINK this is a much more articulate way of highlighting my problem, which is the terrible steering delay and general inability to handle any vehicle properly that's smaller than a Mammoth. It's very irritating, and I frankly don't understand how the game's come this far and somehow can't manage to simply replicate the ungodly well done (and SIMPLE) vehicle controls of games like Battlefield:Bad Company 2. It's a real issue and I'd like to know it's being addressed.

Thanks for posting, and Devs, please forgive what might seem as a bit of snarkiness in my post- I feel quite strongly about it but never does that translate to a lack of appreciation for all you guys have done so far. Loving the game!

Edited by Guest

A part of the weightless thing is how enemy tanks can ram themselves under other tanks to easily kill those repairing the vehicle from the other side. I saw a stealth tank do this under a mammoth (which resulted in my death). The heaviest vehicle in the game flowed over that stank like it was nothing. The rest of the nuances about the driving are throwbacks to original renegade. The vehicles handle very close to those (which isn't a bad thing in totality). I have no problem driving myself.

A part of the weightless thing is how enemy tanks can ram themselves under other tanks to easily kill those repairing the vehicle from the other side. I saw a stealth tank do this under a mammoth (which resulted in my death). The heaviest vehicle in the game flowed over that stank like it was nothing. The rest of the nuances about the driving are throwbacks to original renegade. The vehicles handle very close to those (which isn't a bad thing in totality). I have no problem driving myself.

I agree with this tanks should not be able to drive over each other. It makes it almost impossible to block a tank trying to escape from a fight or rushing the base.

There was an almost two second delay between hitting D to turn right, and when the vehicle actually decides to turn right? Even for a 12 year old game I highly doubt that.

That delay is called lag and it's probably because the server is struggling. The vehicles are all handled server side (so I read around here anyway) which means that laggy slow unresponsive vehicles is stemming from the server. I've played on some full servers that aren't bad on the vehicles.

However if you want a truthful answer to your stupid question, then that answer is yes. I played plenty of old Renegade and suffered from many things including getting caught by the edges of buildings/rocks/walls without knowing it (as in my tank drives on fine) and then a couple seconds later finding myself back a bit stuck on that building/rock/wall. Not to mention times when I found my tank forty feet into danger because of a lag spike. I had a good connection at the time too, but that doesn't matter if the server is struggling.

For the most part Renegade X's connection issues haven't been too severe (after the 64 player limit was dropped to 40). I'm sure what you're suffering from will disappear with patches.

That delay is called lag and it's probably because the server is struggling. The vehicles are all handled server side (so I read around here anyway) which means that laggy slow unresponsive vehicles is stemming from the server. I've played on some full servers that aren't bad on the vehicles.

However if you want a truthful answer to your stupid question, then that answer is yes. I played plenty of old Renegade and suffered from many things including getting caught by the edges of buildings/rocks/walls without knowing it (as in my tank drives on fine) and then a couple seconds later finding myself back a bit stuck on that building/rock/wall. Not to mention times when I found my tank forty feet into danger because of a lag spike. I had a good connection at the time too, but that doesn't matter if the server is struggling.

For the most part Renegade X's connection issues haven't been too severe (after the 64 player limit was dropped to 40). I'm sure what you're suffering from will disappear with patches.

I didn't see a quote of my post in yours, as present here, so I'll assume the "stupid question" you refer to wasn't mine since you go on to discuss what the first post entailed, not my sidebar.

That said, I do rescind my point somewhat- it seems that the issue is not present in Skirmish mode(On grossly lower detail OF COURSE) as I had swore it was a few days ago, and that the Humvee, my most frequent vehicle, just happens to be the most "weightless", as a nod buggy in skirmish mode handled quite differently, and the heavier vehicles, even the APC, are very drivable. Regardless, this is on medium-high detail("high" as in below "very high" which is obviously below "ultra", not "high" as in highEST) on a quad core, 12GB ram machine packing a 7770, It's no secret that there's some optimization to be done, but I admit it's not as game breaking as my first few analyses had falsely shown.

That's called being professional about it, perhaps even remotely useful to the devs, which is why we're discussing this at all, to help THEM. YOUR post is not any of those things :)

It may be an optimization issue, but you should know that with the exception of having Dynamic lights turned off my crappy computer can handle it with just a Geforce GT 220, Pentium Dual Core, and 3gb of ram. I manage to run most things on medium and few others on high with 25-40 FPS (25 in most normal tank battles). Tanks handle fine for me (aside from server side issues occasionaly).

It may be an optimization issue, but you should know that with the exception of having Dynamic lights turned off my crappy computer can handle it with just a Geforce GT 220, Pentium Dual Core, and 3gb of ram. I manage to run most things on medium and few others on high with 25-40 FPS (25 in most normal tank battles). Tanks handle fine for me (aside from server side issues occasionaly).

Okay...As I've said I have a high end entry level machine, if not a low end mid-range one, which is better. There are still new games that some people with marginally more expensive rigs, sometimes even CHEAPER ones that get TWICE the framerate I do at times, and I'm far from the only one to ever file such a report.

Fortunately, as I've said, a lot of my problems have been fixed with a few Video settings amendments, but it's not impossible as you've also said that the game is not properly optimized and it needs to be. End of that discussion.

But yea, even corrected, I definitely feel the "weightlessness"- Humvees can turn on almost impossible angles that would literally roll them IRL if they went faster than 30. I love that each faction's vehicles can and do handle VERY differently, but if the NOD buggy doesn't do it remotely as bad, it's an issue worth addressing.

I rest my case.

Edited by Guest

Okay...As I've said I have a high end entry level machine if not a low end mid-range one

My head. It's hurting.

BTW, who the hell cares whether or not a Humvee would flip over in real life. This is not real life.

Any delay is caused by lag.

Okay...As I've said I have a high end entry level machine if not a low end mid-range one

My head. It's hurting.

BTW, who the hell cares whether or not a Humvee would flip over in real life. This is not real life.

Any delay is caused by lag.

I'll be watching your other public posts and keeping a tally of how many other things you blame "lag" on. Just for fun :)

I rescinded a part of my point if you recall, I admit when I'm wrong too. If you're not interested in identifying problems in the game and discussing whether that's what they truly are, this isn't your forum.

And to answer your question, I care. Do I care that vehicles behave perfectly realistically? no. I care that they behave in a way that allows them to be handled with some control, which is MOSTLY the case in-game, with a few exceptions which I'M discussing.

"If only occasionally, pick a battle you stand some chance of winning."