Arty 'auto-aim' AKA the 'fickle hand of hit and miss'

MechanicalMan

You mean aim-dragging? Not in this game afaik.

Wait, actually, I think if you are playing with a console controller, Unreal detects it and enables this feature from the engine itself.

I played SMNC, and some players would keep a controller plugged in with the taunt button mapped as "start" because even partial mapping enables "aim assist".

By auto aim I mean when you fire at a enemy at range the cannon fires the shot at a higher height then if you fired the gun in the exact same place with no hostile in sight.

Ive noticed the arty firing higher or lower than I was aiming for a few times, but I think my experience was caused by scenery.

By auto aim I mean when you fire at a enemy at range the cannon fires the shot at a higher height then if you fired the gun in the exact same place with no hostile in sight.

Oh you mean the shell bump? That's not auto aim, that's just how it fires. It's not doing it to correct anything for you, that's the literal trajectory of the cannon.

It has bump for a very specific and very good reason: It allows you to aim further without having to tilt your camera up too much so you lose visual on your target.

If it didn't bump the shells, then everyone would have to keep their camera pointed towards the sky in order to hit anything at a distance... and that's stupid since there is no fun in not being able to see what you're shooting at.

Think he meant it automatically fires higher than it should the further up you aim so that you can see what youre shooting at in the distance instead of the sky. So if youre reticule is at a 25 degree angle to the ground, the shot actually fires at 30 degrees (5 degrees higher than where you are aiming).

Im not sure if this is a bug or not, but I have noticed this with my aforementioned scenery shots.