Greetings

IamDH

Hello. First of all i'd like to introduce myself, i'm a rather (okay, a VERY new) new player and i thought i would like to voice my personal opinions about the game. You may not agree with me and that is perfectly fine. Before i proceed: I would like a constructive discussion, i am NOT here to bash the game or try to make it a remake of other certain games

I found the gameplay rather dull. Meaning, the tank battles were very dull and the scale of the game is relatively small. There was also no map (not sure why?) and i disliked the tutorial as I feel many aspects of the game were left uncovered.

I'm not trying to make this game a CoD or BF remake but we must all acknowledge that there are certain aspects those games performed well and this game could use. It takes multiple seconds to kill someone. I understand this is to prevent it becoming a "twitch shooter" but this is a bit too much dont you think?

I think the maps should be made larger, more air vehicles should be added and perhaps a larger amount of weapons.

Tl; Dr

I found the game rather lacking in most combat aspects. I am well aware this is a remake of the old version of the game but why shouldn't there be any room for change? My first impression of the game was "meh"

Thank you for reading and please dont troll or say anything about my grammar

Well i got the same feedback from most of my friends trying to get them to play this game but for me having played this for a few years now don't really see the game the same way and is why i feel its hard at times to put myself in a new players shoes, but i agree, something could be done but im just not sure what.

It's unfortunate that you weren't enjoying yourself that much! While I certainly want lots of people to play Renegade X, it is somewhat of a niche game, and may not be for everyone. To kind of address some of what you wrote though:

I think the addition of recoil is what makes for such long TTKs now (not that they were that short in the old one really either). After more playing/pondering I don't think I'm a big fan of the recoil. When I first learned of it I wasn't excited at all, and while it's not as bad as I anticipated, I'm just not sure it adds that much to the gameplay (and really only works to strengthen already strong hitscan weapons).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by dull vehicle fights. If you mean it's hard to break lines because of an engy repair fest on vehicles, then you (or a teammate) has to simply go and kill the repairers (I recommend grabbing a sniper as it works rather well for this).

This is affected by server size though, and depending on the number of players playing experiences can vary wildly. I personally prefer 16 or 24 player servers, although 32 isn't that bad, but can become spammy (and I think gameplay already begins breaking down a little bit at that point). That's not to say that there shouldn't be big servers, as some people really enjoy that, but I think Renegade was designed around 8-16 player teams.

It's also really important to keep in mind that this is a very team oriented game, and that there are roles to fulfilled and that that makes or breaks a team. It's still very early in open beta and many people are (re)learning the game, so it will take some time before people get accustomed to varying degrees of teamwork by default.

Ultimately though, I hope you stick it out and at least give it another go with perhaps some different/altered expectations. And if you still don't like it, well, perhaps unfortunately this game just isn't for you then.

It's unfortunate that you weren't enjoying yourself that much! While I certainly want lots of people to play Renegade X, it is somewhat of a niche game, and may not be for everyone. To kind of address some of what you wrote though:

I think the addition of recoil is what makes for such long TTKs now (not that they were that short in the old one really either). After more playing/pondering I don't think I'm a big fan of the recoil. When I first learned of it I wasn't excited at all, and while it's not as bad as I anticipated, I'm just not sure it adds that much to the gameplay (and really only works to strengthen already strong hitscan weapons).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by dull vehicle fights. If you mean it's hard to break lines because of an engy repair fest on vehicles, then you (or a teammate) has to simply go and kill the repairers (I recommend grabbing a sniper as it works rather well for this).

This is affected by server size though, and depending on the number of players playing experiences can vary wildly. I personally prefer 16 or 24 player servers, although 32 isn't that bad, but can become spammy (and I think gameplay already begins breaking down a little bit at that point). That's not to say that there shouldn't be big servers, as some people really enjoy that, but I think Renegade was designed around 8-16 player teams.

It's also really important to keep in mind that this is a very team oriented game, and that there are roles to fulfilled and that that makes or breaks a team. It's still very early in open beta and many people are (re)learning the game, so it will take some time before people get accustomed to varying degrees of teamwork by default.

Ultimately though, I hope you stick it out and at least give it another go with perhaps some different/altered expectations. And if you still don't like it, well, perhaps unfortunately this game just isn't for you then.

Yeah TTK and recoil dont go well hand in hand if you ask me, i dont like it in renegade and think it should be removed, but thats not to say that i got issue killing people, its just that it makes hitscan much more viable as i find myself using hitscan all the time outplaying characters within and over the same cost range.

I don't understand what everyone's gripe is with such a high TTK. That's my favorite aspect of Renegade because it rewards consistent aiming skill. If anything I think they need to decrease the damage of Arties and Rockets on infantry.
Completely agreed. I like the time it takes to kill someone. Makes for better, longer fights.

Well i got the same feedback from most of my friends trying to get them to play this game but for me having played this for a few years now don't really see the game the same way and is why i feel its hard at times to put myself in a new players shoes, but i agree, something could be done but im just not sure what.

I do not believe I am alone with this. Admittedly, i do enjoy fast-paced twitch shooter games

On the long TTKs: I too believe that recoil has probably added on to this effect. Even without the recoil, i don't believe 3-4 seconds of firing while strafing is a bunch of fun.

Dull vehicle fights: What I meant is there is almost no strategical aspect when it comes to tanking. This is also due to the relatively small maps. Certain things/tactics such as flanking don't work as well when you are pretty much forced to take a certain path. I recall a map (the smallest one, not sure of name) that had only one exit and everyone kept on playing peek-a-boo, the only person who went forward died. The buggy seemed relatively fun but the helicopter seemed awful. After a few seconds of launch i was killed shortly after the "lock" sign was displayed and i felt as if i got one hit...in a helicopter. This also occured after barraging him with rockets but i believe my aim was off. The point i'm trying to make is that from the small amount of experience in a helicopter, i found it very weak and had little to no idea about the controls yet.

Server size: Well, i believe the availability of both larger and smaller maps should counter this issue.

Just to clarify: I will stick with this game and check regulary. I like it in general but there is a certain game (not sure if im allowed to mention the name) which has more vehicles, larger scale, more fluid/tactical gameplay, teamwork and good graphics (and no, its not battlefield :))

Another issue i would like to shed light on is the awful lag i keep on experiencing.

I don't understand what everyone's gripe is with such a high TTK. That's my favorite aspect of Renegade because it rewards consistent aiming skill. If anything I think they need to decrease the damage of Arties and Rockets on infantry.

Well thats your opinion. I personally find that it slows down gameplay dramatically leading to bordom and 5second strafe battles

So basically you want to spend more time just running around instead of the fast paced action renx brings?

Not sure how you reached that conclusion. I'm basically asking for a larger map with a faster paced game

It takes multiple seconds to kill someone. I understand this is to prevent it becoming a "twitch shooter" but this is a bit too much dont you think?

I think it's the opposite. For me a twitch shooter is like Quake: extremely fast movements, you never stop moving and a high TTK (it takes multiple rockets to the face to die).

I think the TTK is absolutely perfect right now, in fact I'd stop playing if it was lowered (just like I stopped playing the new America's Army when they increased damage). It takes skill to kill someone, you can't just camp behind a rock and kill someone in 1 shot behind his back, he has the time to turn around and defend himself. A higher TTK makes the combats more interesting and it decreases the luck factor : if you died in 1 shot, someone may get lucky and kill you by spreading all over his screen, but if he has to shot you 20 times, he has to actually be very accurate all the time.

I think the maps are small too, but I don't think smaller maps make the game less fun (UT has similar map size AFAIK) and 20v20 can still be very chaotic. I think you're right when you say there aren't enough available paths on some maps, but I don't know them enough yet.

Edited by Guest

The time it takes to kill players/vehicles is higher in this game because it encourages fighting as a team and taking well aimed shots. If it only took one second for a character to kill someone it may lead to a lot of people doing things alone. Having a bit of backup helps with taking down an enemy very quickly.

Well thats your opinion. I personally find that it slows down gameplay dramatically leading to bordom and 5second strafe battles

If you don't like the TTK, don't play. Renegade has always has a high TTK, it's part of what defines the game. I guarantee absolutely every last vet would quit immediately if they decreased the TTK by a dramatic amount.

I think the maps should be made larger, more air vehicles should be added and perhaps a larger amount of weapons.

Well, this is what made me come to this conclusion, as well as your quest for a lower TTK.

I remember what it was to join as a new player in some of the BF maps. You run for 3 minutes to find some action, someone with an unlocked 100 % better weapon kills you in half a second and then you respawn and start over. In Renegade you spawn, you take about 15 seconds to get to the action and the TTK is at least long enough to have a clue of who killed you (most of the times).

TTK is long ? I feel TTK's too short, once you learn to always aim for the head (I haven't, yet). Because of the constant action, players are always busy, so allowing for faster kills just isn't fun. It's already hard enough to watch out for vehicles and infantry, it would be a nightmare if I got killed in half a second, every time somebody decided to spray and pray in my general direction. Sure, you can do that, but the guy who more experience will always kill you, because he'll have enough time.

That's the beauty of Renegade, it forces you to think before you engage: "Hmmm can I really kill this guy alone, or should I wait for backup/retreat to safety?)

That being said, god help us all if some of the snipers I knew over the years came back.

I think the main issue is that the game requires a lot more cooperation than others do. In other FPS's like CoD, the only real cooperation needed is how best to split your dudes, so you have the overall goal (kill em all or get somewhere like a CP or flag) and then sub-goals (how to split your dudes up). In RenX, you have the same setup, but then you have sub-sub-goals, and even lower sub goals.

Even in chaotic public 64 player servers, cooperation is still absolutely required. Somebody grabbing a tank and driving out in the middle of the field by himself is going to die very quickly.

Speaking to the TTK, the others made plenty of points. Only thing I would add is to remember how useless tanks were against infantry in the old Westwood RTSs. Hell, in Red Alert 2, a basic tank vs a normal soldier: the tank would eventually win, but it would be completely crippled and die if an enemy so much as sneezed at it.