Relative building damage in HUD

DoctorB0NG

The HUD shows when a building is ~30% damaged by turning the icon a different color. While this is awesome and incredibly helpful, it would be more helpful if there was a percentage or visual bar that represented the immediate health of the building as opposed to just when it's at 30%.

It would also be neat if when a building is hit, the icon would pulse red so you can tell the frequency of damage without having to rely on the unreliable EVA announcer.

Yes but then it would take away from needing to have a static base defense team. Whose job it is to keep the base mined, repair, as free of enemy beacons as they can. To be honest if your in a area that you need the icon to tell you something is damaged you probably not close enough to help if its getting hit hard.

Edit: I shouldn't say it takes away from needing the static team, but it would give more of a feeling you can leave the base undefended for a small amount of time.

Building health on hud is a terrible idea I think, same for mine count.

You can see the immediate change that renders surprise infantry anti building rushes pointless.

I know there is an "under attack" message broadcasted but people often ignore it at first because you can trigger it with a single pistol shot.

I've noticed a lot of "someone is disarming our mines, go check" in older videos. Not a fan of that at all.

And the building health bars are just the same "building bar hud" drama from renegade just everyone has the advantage.

Personally I'd like building bars to be kept on the tab scoreboard and to have mines moved there as well.

The thing with the mine limit is you don't know if those are even the mines that was place in your buildings. I have had times where I mine the base and being a defensive player on map without base defenses. I keep running from building to building checking the mines and replacing them with the mine counter at 30/30. Yes you can just watch the mine counter if your going to be lazy, but you might find out that something is wrong a little too late.

• Totem Arts Staff
Well as long as i stop getting the spam something is fixed when the same guy is repairing that 99% to 100% damage its all good.

^ That.

But really, I wouldn't be against putting mine counter on the TAB menu, even though I've been kind of exploiting the always-on mine count. It's easy to tell when an sbh makes it through the tunnel. As for building health, I can see it being on the main HUD as small bars beneath the icons now, but to give people more incentive to actually use the TAB screen it may be better if the icons on the HUD merely went from green-yellow-red. This way, those that are willing to actually be observant of the TAB screen can tell when they're being suckered, and tell the true target of a rush/bombardment.

As for the icons flashing when the building is taking damage, I can't say that doesn't put a complete damper on being a sneaky bastard that gets all of the attention on a structure that's only been timed-C4'd and not the real target of a greater scheme.

You can see the immediate change that renders surprise infantry anti building rushes pointless.

I know there is an "under attack" message broadcasted but people often ignore it at first because you can trigger it with a single pistol shot.

I've noticed a lot of "someone is disarming our mines, go check" in older videos. Not a fan of that at all.

And the building health bars are just the same "building bar hud" drama from renegade just everyone has the advantage.

Personally I'd like building bars to be kept on the tab scoreboard and to have mines moved there as well.

Thing is, if you put these things in a separate screen it just means people need to spam check that other screen to be as efficient and aware as possible. Which is lame. Its better just to have them all on screen and have at it.

Other than mine counts, what difference does it make? If you sneak in properly, the building should go from 100% to 0% in a few seconds. Otherwise, its completely fair that the defense has time to react.

If there is nobody actually defending, even if they have a few more information, it won't change the outcome.

But really, I wouldn't be against putting mine counter on the TAB menu, even though I've been kind of exploiting the always-on mine count. It's easy to tell when an sbh makes it through the tunnel. As for building health, I can see it being on the main HUD as small bars beneath the icons now, but to give people more incentive to actually use the TAB screen it may be better if the icons on the HUD merely went from green-yellow-red. This way, those that are willing to actually be observant of the TAB screen can tell when they're being suckered, and tell the true target of a rush/bombardment.

As for the icons flashing when the building is taking damage, I can't say that doesn't put a complete damper on being a sneaky bastard that gets all of the attention on a structure that's only been timed-C4'd and not the real target of a greater scheme.

This.

We have had this discussion for a long time in Renegade. Everything that makes defending easier is a no go for me. Attacking is hard enough as it is. Sneaking must be encouraged.

And this.

Other than mine counts, what difference does it make? If you sneak in properly, the building should go from 100% to 0% in a few seconds. Otherwise, its completely fair that the defense has time to react.

If there is nobody actually defending, even if they have a few more information, it won't change the outcome.

Add a minimum delay to building damaged announcements of 10 seconds for the same building and it does make a difference.

If you really think about what Renegade was meant to be (eg an FPS version of an overhead RTS), I dont think it hurts the spirit of the game at all to inform all the players of the current events around the map, including building health; since the space god hovering overhead sending hundreds of faceless infantry to their deaths could easily see how much damage was on any building without temporarily pausing all current gameplay to check.

Mine limit; maybe I agree with you. But thats just exploiting a feature that really is needed: a way of knowing if your mining is helping or hurting your team. Maybe Ive just never known coordination of a clan war, but public games REALLY needed the mining limit indicator IMO.

Also if you ever played the old renegade you know that the mine limit included remote c4. So if you have someone on your team that decides to place a lot of remote mines. You wouldn't know the mines where gone till he died or set them off. I checked and yes remotes still count towards mine limit.

One reason why I like having the mine count on the HUD is because it shows people, plain as day, that there is a limit to how many mines you can put down. I don't know how many times I've had arguments with people in game that they are over mining. And it also comes in handy just knowing how many mines you can put down.

As far as tipping off defenders goes, it really isn't that big of an issue that can't be fixed easily. Why not just put a delay on the counter? Counting up would be instant, but if a mine is disarmed or destroyed then it would take a little while for the counter to go down.

Or maybe have it work on a visual basis. Planting mines would increase the counter regardless of if you see them planted or not. But if you, or anyone else on your team, doesn't witness the mine's absence from its previous location, then the counter would never go down (at least not for a while). How this could work would be that when a mine is destroyed or disarmed, it would spawn a proximity zone in a fixed area around where the mine was. Unless a friendly player walks into that zone, the mine count on the HUD would never go down.

I never assuming a enemy is disarming the mines, because one I most likely run into them as I'm checking the base. And the second reason is because 90% of the time it's someone on my team using remote c4 or trowing mines somewhere else. So yes the mine limit lets you know something is going on with the mines but rarely is it because they are being disarmed. Honestly if you want to get rid of something telling you that mines are disappearing you should get them to remove the boink from mine kills.