Multi Monitor troubles.

Pellaeon

I run a three-monitor setup.

When I try to start Renegade X, all monitors go black, resolutions switch, then the game crashes with a "Could not initiate D3D device".

I've seen this error with multiple games (even AAA ones) that seem to not be able to handle a multi-screen setup.

Problem is... I can't find a ini file to change fullscreen to "false" anywhere and the game won't let me go into the in-game menu to change it from there.

How can I change the game to windowed to tell it the correct resolution to use?

And could you perhaps think about putting a non-GUI options menu (like in Skyrim or DX:HR) onto the launcher?

Will there be some Multimonitor (eyefinity) support? :P

As much as we'd like to, it's not really up to us. We're using the UDK, which doesn't come with source code access, so we aren't able to implement features like that. If epic includes support in future UDK builds then we will most likely support it.

Will there be some Multimonitor (eyefinity) support? :P

As much as we'd like to, it's not really up to us. We're using the UDK, which doesn't come with source code access, so we aren't able to implement features like that. If epic includes support in future UDK builds then we will most likely support it.

It is possible to give UDK games multi-monitor support, the main issue is the FoV ingame is vertical minus rather then horizontal plus, meaning rather then horizontal increasing the FoV as the aspect ratio gets wider. It's decreasing the vertical FoV while maintaining the horizontal one, the result is it chops off the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the display area, looks a bit like this:

rx_3t.jpg

Where as it should looks closer to this:

rx_4t.jpg

Now with the UDK and Unreal 3 engines this is really simple to fix, you just need to change AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV to YFOV, this binds the FoV vertically and makes the game horizontal plus. You'll find this config option in the following file: Renegade X\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini

Now for a few other screen shots followed but some multi-monitor issues I haven't worked out how to fix yet.

rx_1t.jpg

rx_2t.jpg

rx_5t.jpg

rx_6t.jpg

So the main menu and all other menus seem to be fine, the HUD however is oddly positioned, ideally it wants be to centred on the middle monitor, however typically it's ether stretched or spanned across all 3. In your case it's appears to be left adjusted to centre monitor, but then spanned over the middle and right monitor, which is odd.

The next issue is the gun models are horribly stretched, this is again a common issue with UDK/U3 games and it's not one I know how to fix, would need to ask HaYDeN about it. Lastly I'll need someone else to confirm this, but the aim down site model looks a bit big again, might be the fact the FoV of the weapons is wrong.

I'll try and see if I can't get HaYDeN to weigh in, he's the guy from the Widescreen Gaming Forum that makes most of the Unreal Engine multi-monitor fixes.

• 8 months later...