Renegade x mac/linux client[version 0.2 is live]

Absolly

Ok I am as green as grass. I have followed all of the instructions (now 4 hours in and multiple programs downloaded - I have never used wineskin before) but don't know how to open renegade x. ????? It initially launched but I had to change the font color. Now i don't know how to get back in. . .. ... .I am going to bed. I was excited to use this game but I am to frustrated to pursue this any longer today. Nonetheless how do you start the app once it is installed? Everytime I double click on the "Renegade X 0.2" wrapper now all it wants to do is try and re-install the game again.

Hey guys, obviously I'm doing something wrong because the "newb instructions" arent workin for me. i downloaded the original file, i downloaded the wrapper, clicked show package contents, opened wineskin and even though i found the renegade v0.2 exe, it is not clickable.. did i put it in the wrong directory? it keeps telling me that it needs to be in C: which i can only imagine is the folder "drive_c" in the "show package contents" folder.

Also, Mac OSX 10.6.8

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, obviously I'm doing something wrong because the "newb instructions" arent workin for me. i downloaded the original file, i downloaded the wrapper, clicked show package contents, opened wineskin and even though i found the renegade v0.2 exe, it is not clickable.. did i put it in the wrong directory? it keeps telling me that it needs to be in C: which i can only imagine is the folder "drive_c" in the "show package contents" folder.

Also, Mac OSX 10.6.8

Thanks in advance

make sure you are using the install option in wineskin

after installing the game you need to choose the exe located in "drive_c/program files/renegade x" from inside wineskin

Well its up and running. .. .. ...but . ... . .

I get to the main screen and go to connect to a server and all I get is a black screen afterwards. :P

Now I am not sure what to do. . ...

Thoughts?

could you post some logs, either with ["spoiler]['/spoiler] tags or via pastebin

If I knew how I would... .. . sorry I am such a hassle.

i'm sorry but i am afraid i can't help you right now because i am off on vacation later today, i would recommend going here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30104

and repeating your question, sorry i can't be of any more help right now

I am slowly but surely figuring this out.

Engine Used: WS9Wine1.7.15NoFlicker

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.53f13

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 4670:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4670

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9488

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B8030F-260

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.383

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Engine Used: WS9Wine1.7.15NoFlicker

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.53f13

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 4670:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4670

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9488

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B8030F-260

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.383

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Connection Type: DisplayPort

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to get this game to work on my mac.

I have installed all of the software.

I open Wineskin... Choose setup exe... find the renegade.exe file I downloaded (using the PirateB link)... Wineskin reports that it's busy for a little bit and then I get an error saying:

"Oops! No new executables found! Maybe the installer failed...?

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive."

Anything?

Anyone else having trouble playing Islands/Goldrush?

Not really, but what do you mean "trouble"? The only problem I've had is freezing up when I try to go into the field of the Field map. The rest seem to run fine. You might want to tweak your settings if there's lagginess (see Wine appdb Renegade X).

Anyone else having trouble playing Islands/Goldrush?

Not really, but what do you mean "trouble"? The only problem I've had is freezing up when I try to go into the field of the Field map. The rest seem to run fine. You might want to tweak your settings if there's lagginess (see Wine appdb Renegade X).

The game just doesn't start when it's either of those maps. It stays on the "establishing battlefield connect" screen.

Can you try posting some logs when you join those maps or start a skirmish on those maps. Use pastebin.com .

Logs are at /Renegade X/UDKGame/Logs. Some of the crash logs might already be in there (search for the map name in the text). If it's too large for pastebin, you can try mediafire.com or similar. I would really need the ending part the most, or where it says "error" or "exception".

Hi guys,

I tried following the instructions from OP.

When I unzip the wrapper Renegade X 0.2.app.7z I get the error: Could not extract the resource fork for the file "Renegade X 0.2.app.7z". The file could not be opened.

When I click continue it goes on and installs the game, but when starting Renegade X it fails and gives the UDK-error: The program UDK.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.

What to do? How can I read a .log file?

Greets!!

The Renegade X 0.2.app.7z should have the following checksums. I don't know how it works on Mac, but on Linux you run "sha1sum Renegade X 0.2.app.7z" or "md5sum Renegade X 0.2.app.7z" without the quotes. Find programs to do so if you don't already have some:

sha1sum 55e242b05a9c76a45c8a757cbbb4a21dfaac8719

md5sum 32e84f6827c21e6fdeb5f1b8cef6a115

If your checksums on the file don't match, try re-downloading the file, because your copy is most likely corrupt if it says that. Some download accelerators, like DownThemAll Add-On for Firefox, have resume and even an entry for checksums for it to check, and can more reliably download the file without problems (and often much quicker too).

Make sure you set up Wineskin up with the right Winetricks.

As for log files, as for as I can tell, they're just text files (.txt) that have a .log on them instead. Use your standard text file reader, or you can get Geany, which can read pretty much any file: http://www.geany.org/Download/ThirdPartyPackages#MacOSX

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I tried following the instructions from OP.

When I unzip the wrapper Renegade X 0.2.app.7z I get the error: Could not extract the resource fork for the file "Renegade X 0.2.app.7z". The file could not be opened.

When I click continue it goes on and installs the game, but when starting Renegade X it fails and gives the UDK-error: The program UDK.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.

What to do? How can I read a .log file?

Greets!!

I'm encountering the same problem on my Mac. About halfway through the extraction of the wrapper, it sends me that resource fork error. I told it to continue, and I finished the installation process. I'm able to load up the game's menu (shows Tutorial Video, Servers, IRC, and such). When I try to join a server, it'll load for about half a minute, then it will take me into full screen and start what I assume to be the intro video. I've only been able to get about 5-10 seconds into the video, however, as it will freeze up both video and audio. After a minute or 2, it will send me that same UDK.exe error.

Would anyone be able to help me with this issue? I'm a big fan of the original Renegade, used to play all the time. I'd really like to be able to try this game out.

Thanks.

When I try to join a server, it'll load for about half a minute, then it will take me into full screen and start what I assume to be the intro video. I've only been able to get about 5-10 seconds into the video, however, as it will freeze up both video and audio. After a minute or 2, it will send me that same UDK.exe error.

Would anyone be able to help me with this issue? I'm a big fan of the original Renegade, used to play all the time. I'd really like to be able to try this game out.

Thanks.

You're supposed to delete those videos. Look for them in Renegade X/UDKGame/Movies. Those .bik files are the movies. Rename, move, or delete them.

It is not supposed to go into fullscreen. Have you looked at the Wine AppDB entry. I put lots of tips there (although mainly for Linux, they may help with Mac too). You need to set up the UDKSystemSettings.ini config to turn off fullscreen (you can enable it in-game) and make sure the game doesn't overwrite the file by removing write permissions from it. Please look at the Wine AppDB entry, as there is a ton more, and it doesn't make sense to repeat it.

• 1 month later...

So far, my attempts at getting Beta 3 to work have failed. The Beta 2 Java Server Browser still shows servers, but you're asked to update when trying to join them. Here's my attempts and crash reports for reference (anything attempted was based on what the terminal output mentioned was missing):

*Beta3

- Move Beta 2 out of C:/ because overwrites install (keep just in case you need something from it!).

- Launcher start -> CRASH!

- Copy Beta 2 Renegade X/runtime to Beta3 -> CRASH!

- Copy Beta 2 Renegade X/app to Beta3 -> CRASH!

- Install JRE -> CRASH!

- Copy Beta 2 Renegade X.exe to Beta3 -> CRASH on game start!, but see servers in Java Launcher.

- winetricks dotnet45 -> CRASH!

- mscoree.dll -> By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP, Vista, 7). -> CRASH!

I don't know where to go from here because the crash logs and terminal don't provide clues I understand:

- Backup Log: http://pastebin.com/ANYEqZef

- Launch Log: http://pastebin.com/nm7TDZaE

The only directions I see are trying newer Wine versions, or asking for exact resources from the RenX Devs (dll versions, exact resources/libs/Windows versions used/added by them for Beta 3, etc.). I ran out of steam for now, so maybe someone else can try something until I get more coal ...

• 4 weeks later...

I know this may be old news (at least since March 2014), but many parts of .NET were released open-source. Does this mean Wine will benefit from it? Will .NET features get full support eventually on Wine?

.NET is one of the main problems for running RenX on Wine, so I guess only time will tell. Set an alarm clock for maybe 1 year.

Sources:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2014/04/roslyn_oss

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/12 ... ource_net/

• 3 weeks later...
So far, my attempts at getting Beta 3 to work have failed. The Beta 2 Java Server Browser still shows servers, but you're asked to update when trying to join them. Here's my attempts and crash reports for reference (anything attempted was based on what the terminal output mentioned was missing):

*Beta3

- Move Beta 2 out of C:/ because overwrites install (keep just in case you need something from it!).

- Launcher start -> CRASH!

- Copy Beta 2 Renegade X/runtime to Beta3 -> CRASH!

- Copy Beta 2 Renegade X/app to Beta3 -> CRASH!

- Install JRE -> CRASH!

- Copy Beta 2 Renegade X.exe to Beta3 -> CRASH on game start!, but see servers in Java Launcher.

- winetricks dotnet45 -> CRASH!

- mscoree.dll -> By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP, Vista, 7). -> CRASH!

I don't know where to go from here because the crash logs and terminal don't provide clues I understand:

- Backup Log: http://pastebin.com/ANYEqZef

- Launch Log: http://pastebin.com/nm7TDZaE

The only directions I see are trying newer Wine versions, or asking for exact resources from the RenX Devs (dll versions, exact resources/libs/Windows versions used/added by them for Beta 3, etc.). I ran out of steam for now, so maybe someone else can try something until I get more coal ...

We've managed to get it working with a couple tweaks,https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31286. Please check it out and let us know how it works for you guys. I've also developed a simple Java launcher for now until we can figure out a way to use the server browser in game.

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately, the original poster is no longer active and the link for the Mac wrapper is no longer available.

Does anyone still have the wrapper, and successfully got it working with the latest version of RenX?

I would like to test this on some Mac systems to see how well the game runs.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...