RockPaperShotgun: C&C-Inspired FPS Renegade-X Released

XD_ERROR_XD

RockPaperShotgun has made an article regarding the release of Renegade X of yesterday:

"Renegade-X, which we previously reported would be released on its release date, has now been released on its release date. The Command & Conquer-inspired multiplayer shooter is now in open beta and available to download for free, although it looks like the official site is getting a bit hammered."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/26/renegade-x-download-free-released/

Read the rest of the article by clicking on the link above!

yeah, people asked him before, but he doesn't really give a damn about being wrong, he stands firm on his opinion. :P

It wouldn't be so bad if that was the only thing wrong with the news post but there are some blatant factual errors in the story. Doesn't look like he did any research at all and just watched the trailers =P

They published some first impressions http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02 ... -thoughts/

It looks like he didn't even played the game.

He didn't play it, i doubt it.

What he raised was reasonable for someone completely new to the game. As players who know what to look for when faced with a purchase terminal and where to attack/hide/etc, it can be frustrating when we look at newbies floundering around without a clue as to what to do.

Take the purchase terminal for example. Players are given a lot of options when they enter it, especially with regards to characters. There are free characters in the main page and then another whole page for characters. Newbies will have absolutely no idea what to do at this stage. Without any form of guidance and when there are firefights all around them, things can get hectic which prevents them from making a decision or prevents them from realising that there is a good option to choose for the current situation.

The game can certainly help in introducing a hand-holding aspect for newbies that can be turned off once they are comfortable.

The other criticism about repairing buildings is a valid one and not something that is new to Renegade. Friends have told me in the past that repairing a building took a lot of the enjoyment out for them (when talking about Renegade). While I'm used to that and many others are, this just feels like a boring non-game element that adds a lot of monotony to the match for those new to the game. Tell me you wouldn't want to try out another method of repairing things that is more interesting and fun than just aiming at the same spot and keeping the mouse button pressed for a few minutes. Here the direct translation from RTS where you click repair and click a structure to FPS where someone actually has to spend time (without reward in terms of enjoyment) achieving the same result doesn't work very well.

I don't see any sign of someone who hasn't played the game reviewing it. He certainly played it and he is making the observations new players would. Did he play it the way you and I would have played it? Certainly not. He is new and so too are many players right now. To brush his observations aside would be the equivalent of condemning the game to a quick death. Just because we like something doesn't mean it's perfect. Let's all be open-minded and help the game grow and reach a bigger audience.

The other criticism about repairing buildings is a valid one and not something that is new to Renegade. Friends have told me in the past that repairing a building took a lot of the enjoyment out for them (when talking about Renegade). While I'm used to that and many others are, this just feels like a boring non-game element that adds a lot of monotony to the match for those new to the game. Tell me you wouldn't want to try out another method of repairing things that is more interesting and fun than just aiming at the same spot and keeping the mouse button pressed for a few minutes. Here the direct translation from RTS where you click repair and click a structure to FPS where someone actually has to spend time (without reward in terms of enjoyment) achieving the same result doesn't work very well.

You would have to be very careful and smart about how you made such a change. All the possibilities I can think of at the moment involve chain effects that would change the meta completely, which would upset a large number of people (I would be one of them unless it was some kind of masterstroke)