Game is nice, but.

The Algerian

I just downloaded and tried out today, not for very long.

The game is nice overall, only two things are a bit off in my opinion:

- Characters are way too resilient and take way too much bullets to die. This removes any tactical aspect the game would want to have, since people can just charge in run'n'gun groups.

- Colors are confusing, it's really hard to figure out who to shoot when you're in the red team, your teamates name are red and their rectangle thingy are green. And your enemies name are yellow and their rectangle is red.

This color pattern/system could use a little more work, making the red team all red and the yellow team all yellow could help.

Youre just too use to standard games that make allies blue and enemies red. Once you get use to the yellow vs red, it wont be an issue.

uhm, if anything i'm too used to games that leave colors as they are, blue team remaining blue even when you're in yellow/red team and yellow/red team remaining yellow/red even when you're in their team. And not to "standard" games.

My problem here is this game can't seem to make up its mind, if you're red team, your allies names are red but their rectangle/box is green. And your ennemis names are yellow but their rectangle/box is red.

So basically you missed the point, completely.

Its not like the names are changing colors randomly. GDI names are always yellow, Nod names are always red. The highlight box is green for allies and red for enemies. Those two aspects are completely independent of each other. This is how the original Renegade was, as well.

When you're Nod, enemies and their outfits don't suddenly become Red either. This is something you have to LEARN.

As for durability, it adds a LOT of value to individual skill, which makes the game much better. I absolutely loathe all those games where you die the second someone sneaks up on you, or the mechanics are so terrible even if you have some time to react, you're dead anyway because lol ironsight + standing still + being incredibly slow and fat and easy to shoot at.

Nevermind vehicles being so easy to kill, thats just sad.

Thanks for not making Renegade another modern wannabe FPS thats actually terrible.

When you're Nod, enemies and their outfits don't suddenly become Red either. This is something you have to LEARN.

As for durability, it adds a LOT of value to individual skill, which makes the game much better. I absolutely loathe all those games where you die the second someone sneaks up on you, or the mechanics are so terrible even if you have some time to react, you're dead anyway because lol ironsight + standing still + being incredibly slow and fat and easy to shoot at.

Nevermind vehicles being so easy to kill, thats just sad.

Thanks for not making Renegade another modern wannabe FPS thats actually terrible.

man, you shouldn't have to learn who your team mates are. they should be easy to distinguish between the enemy.

and theres a difference between someone being durable and being too durable. i walked up to a guy and unloaded my flamethrower at him. it just barely did half damage, he then just ran away.

and dont get me started on all the snipers. that seems to be the only weapon that everyone uses and manages to one hit kill.

and of course once if your the first one to lose a building, the games pretty much over.

man, you shouldn't have to learn who your team mates are. they should be easy to distinguish between the enemy.

and theres a difference between someone being durable and being too durable. i walked up to a guy and unloaded my flamethrower at him. it just barely did half damage, he then just ran away.

and dont get me started on all the snipers. that seems to be the only weapon that everyone uses and manages to one hit kill.

and of course once if your the first one to lose a building, the games pretty much over.

#1 Over distance it can be hard to distinguish who is an enemy and who is not. This was brought up and discussed in the closed beta. In close quarters it's pretty easy to tell.

#2 It depends on the character you were attacking with that flame thrower. Some characters have more health than others. The flame thrower is actually one of the worst weapons in the game ATM. I've heard it might not be working as intended. Same with the chem sprayer. I could be wrong, though.

#3 Some snipers will 1 hit kill you if you're a free infantry unit. (I.E. The Ramjet.) Beyond that, the only way to get one hit is via headshot. Although, it may seem like you're getting 1 hit killed when you're actually not. It is possible you might have taken a lot of damage before that sniper hits you. You just might not have noticed it.

This was also brought up several times in the closed beta in regards to the player's awareness of their health. In my opinion, some steps need to be taken to help make players more aware of their condition. By the time the screen has red borders around it, you're pretty much dead.

#4 Yeah. That can be the way it is, but I've seen games get turned around with a good bit of teamwork, or at least the odds get evened.

Renegade X has a bit of a learning curve to it, considering it's not like any other shooter out there in terms of gameplay. If you wanna try and get good at something unique and fresh, stick with it. Otherwise you may as well go with the flow...

You just gotta get a feel for the game. The flamethrower has always been pretty useless against infantry (in fact, it even says that when you are selecting it in the PT). I can get a lot of kills with my basic soldier, but the non-instant bullet velocity takes some getting use to; the reason Im better with it is because I played the original Ren and the velocity bullets are pretty much copy/pasted from there.

And the snipers are actually 100x better than in the original Ren, they were so OP back then. Now they actually behave like a sniper.

The colors are confusing at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The free soldier DID in fact get a buff in one of the recent closed betas, and it is now a very playable character. If you are good at aiming, then you can definitely fight back effectively as a free soldier.

Also, to me, half of the fun of Renegade is making a comeback after losing a building. Often times losing a building just results in your team getting more coordinated. Lost the weapons factory? Time for a gunner rush! Being able to bring back buildings would ruin the game, not to mention it would remove the win condition from the game type.

I agree that teams are difficult to distinguish, but with more experience playing the game you'll recognize player models and instantly know which team they're on.

As for the high health, that's just another aspect of renegade. With higher TTK, health can be used as a resource for making plays. If you have high health, you can do some damage and retreat. Fights last longer and more things can happen in an individual 1v1, rather than "he pointed at my head and fired first, so I died".

It'll take some getting used to, but you'll find that the high TTK really does work nicely :)

they should buff the free soldiers to at least be able to stand up to the other characters

This would actually kind of defeat the purpose of having advanced characters if the free units were about just as good. However, the shotgunner is probably the best free unit when it comes to taking on higher tiered infantry. At least in tunnel gameplay. On Field I occasionally grab a shotgunner and head for the tunnels when I wanna make some cash, but am a little bored of the siege battles.