NO1 KNOWS HOW TO PLAY

ZTDELTA

Seriously...for any1 who's a renegade vet this is extremely depressing.

Light tanks trying to duke it out with mammies. No1 playing engineers. No organized sweeping of buildings for beacons/ prox mining entrances. the list could go on.

also raise the damn vehicle cap >_<. Even right now Jelly servers on old renegade run more than 10 vehicles.

I felt like a completely useless idiot yesterday. I haven't played the original in a couple of years, and while this has a similar feel, I was dying left and right. Sniping...forget it. Vehicles...blown up quickly. It will take time to get organized. We did run a nice APC rush early in the map...that felt similar, but with 63 players, there was no chance an engineer would reach the terminal to c4 anything. I also disabled the motion blur...that was giving me trouble aiming.

• Totem Arts Staff

You can all contribute as Renegade Vets by answering questions in the ingame chat, help educate your team a bit while playing. We'll most likely be releasing more tutorials on how to play the game in a more advanced way later on.

That said new people have to figure out how the game works and as time goes by everyone will get accustomed to it, we were all there at some point.

There are a lot of new players who never played Renegade before. The devs did a good job on staying faithful to the gameplay of Renegade. This means a lot of people who are used to lower TTKs or having to manage resources are going to be lost.

Just give it time. There will be a high turnover of players at first. Lots of new players who are figuring out if they like it or not. Most will leave, but the ones who stay will grow the community and learn how to play the game.

For most people, this will be their first time playing this type of game mode. It can certainly be annoying when your team doesn't know what they're supposed to do or have 7 mammoth tanks sitting outside the enemy base; too afraid of the obelisk to move in (This actually happened) but most people will be completely new. Give it a few games and people will learn just like they did with the original renegade =)

My favourite sight so far has been watching someone buy a mammy and drive it out while the weapons factory was sitting at 13% health. This was a small game too, no one else nearby repairing anything.

Also seeing 4 mammies on a 6 person team. Best of all, the players in the mammies weren't engineers, so when they lost their vehicles they just ran back to base instead of repairing the others.

I'm hoping that the main impediment to people learning is the fact that chat sucks and fades out so quickly, making it unreadable. Once that's fixed we might be able to help the newbs.

Not a lot of people will be god in the first few weeks. Some will not learn and stop playing, others will learn and get better, veterans will be born out of this process and the old C&C and Renegade veterans will come back. It'll just take a while. This happened with StarCraft 2 during beta. It takes a few weeks. Granted, Renegade and Renegade X is pretty easy to get the hang of, unlike say, StarCraft, which requires players to constantly adapt to the ever-changing metagame and keep track of a lot more things.

To be honest, I've had a few n00b moments myself (Getting Mammoth Tanks without switching to the Engy class, for example), but I blame my laziness and the "wow" factor of playing a new Renegade. It's been a while and it's easy to get lost in it and start acting like the typical 5-year old in a toy store full of new toys.

I'm hoping that the main impediment to people learning is the fact that chat sucks and fades out so quickly, making it unreadable. Once that's fixed we might be able to help the newbs.

Most people didn't even know what the key for chat was (same with the sprint key, for some). I guess they assumed it was "Enter" or "Spacebar", which is a common and understandable mistake, but that ruins a lot of the team play factor present in this game. How can you communicate when you don't even know how? Loading screen needs to show which keys do what (and that screen should update accordingly to reflect if you changed the keys in the options menu), like how that picture on the install screen shows what each building does. Also, I didn't notice any VoIP. That would be a very helpful feature to have.

You do realize this is more or less a remake of a game that came out more than ten years ago and was never very popular to begin with? I would say most of the people playing have never played the original. I haven't played it since before 1942 was released. Having tons and tons of newbies is a blessing, it beats having no one to play with, believe me.

You do realize this is more or less a remake of a game that came out more than ten years ago and was never very popular to begin with? I would say most of the people playing have never played the original. I haven't played it since before 1942 was released. Having tons and tons of newbies is a blessing, it beats having no one to play with, believe me.

I believe youre remembering the wrong game. Renegade's servers were plenty and largely filled for a very long time after the game was released. Theres even people still playing it right now, after RenX was released and everything.

Not that I mind some new face introductions.

Even a week or two ago you had almost full 64 players on jellyservers on the original game. I was one of them. I played extensively during my hs days from 2004-2008...that was when renegade was around its peak.

It was never as popular as the battlefield series but always had its group of devoted followers.

To this day I still have fond memories of the sound "you have connected to a renguard protected server.... Yo! (Server message)"

Back then I frequented stormaow, black-cell.net sniperonly and unrules. Unrules was where all the cool maps were at...like a 50+ map rotation

Lol, i remember this.

WHY NOBODY F### REP REF, F## n00Bs!

F# my G# team. FFS

Sounds like Renegade.

Good old times. :D

But hey, having a pack of newbies that don't realize their own timed will kill them in spite of the fact FF is off is better than having a completely dead community; because that's what vanilla Renegade is at the moment.

They do? Wow those 8 or so GDI troops I squished inside their own base yesterday must be blind or something lol.

Man, I'd feel sorry for those folks if it was old Ren considering they wouldn't even see the Stealths coming until it was like 4 feet in front of them. xD

I didn't even know they left dust trails. Devs ought to get on that.

What's with people using stealth tanks like a normal tank anyways, why even buy a stealth tank if you're not gonna stealth and do something with it.

Because their attack is a bit OP at the moment. In the original, they had a limited range, but here they have about the range of a med tank.

And I dont remember the stank having a dust trail while hidden in RenX...

What's with people using stealth tanks like a normal tank anyways, why even buy a stealth tank if you're not gonna stealth and do something with it.

Because their attack is a bit OP at the moment. In the original, they had a limited range, but here they have about the range of a med tank.

And I dont remember the stank having a dust trail while hidden in RenX...

The dust trail shows you hit them while stealth, not sure if it just lasts until the come out and stealth again, or if you don't hit them for a little. But I did notice it and it became VERY easy to track them.

However I do find their stealth effect hard to see/track without that dust effect

Vehicle cap is really annoying. 10 is the max the game allows, and it should be used more. 64 players and 10 vehicles sounds fine.

Vehicle cap is a serverside setting. Tell the host to up his cap. My server is currently capped at 12 vehicles per side (because I'm not quite crazy enough to deal with 15 stealth tanks... yet.)

Been playing for five hours and haven't been on a winning side once. Not once. I have, I think, a decent grasp of the game. Engineer when we have a lot of vehicles defending the base. Patch for when I'm facing a lot of infantry. Deadeye for open areas. Flying sucks, but oh well. I just can't seem to come out on top. Iunno. Frustrating. ¬.¬

No new player has ever been good at piloting. But once you become pro at it you feel like nothing can stop you.

Vehicle cap is really annoying. 10 is the max the game allows, and it should be used more. 64 players and 10 vehicles sounds fine.

Vehicle cap is a serverside setting. Tell the host to up his cap. My server is currently capped at 12 vehicles per side (because I'm not quite crazy enough to deal with 15 stealth tanks... yet.)

Ideally the limit should be team player size/2 minus 3, with a minimum of 7.

Ideally the limit should be team player size/2 minus 3, with a minimum of 7.

Ideally 40 player servers shouldn't be switching back and forth between maps that can barely handle 12v12 and maps that can go up to 32v32. I'd say that map size and layout should be the determining factor for vehicle limit over pure player count.

Ideally 40 player servers shouldn't be switching back and forth between maps that can barely handle 12v12 and maps that can go up to 32v32. I'd say that map size and layout should be the determining factor for vehicle limit over pure player count.

I think it should be up to the server owners, no one forces you to join a crowded server, i personally think all the maps are better with 100+ players, wich were possible in the classic renegade.

Last night i was playing on a 40player 14tank cap server. Made field an amazing rush map, with loads of great attempts from both sides. In the end we won with a full capped flametank rush.

It is basically about finding a server that fits your playstyle.

For me less than the current cap is just no go for me, and i will always go for the most crowded server, i simply find it more fun :)

Stealth Tanks somewhat lost their stealth factor (heh) considering they leave dust trails now.

They only do on some surfaces. Driving on grass (as i remember it) doesn't leave a dust trail.