Observations/Suggestions

Letty

First let me start off by saying thanks for the great game. As a big fan of the original Renegade I've really enjoyed the matches I've played so far. I have some suggestions on things to add or change, and some (potential) bugs to report.

- Chat messages really needs to last longer, there is basically no time to read what's being said.

- There's no UI function to find the health of your buildings as far as I can tell. Can the building icons at the bottom of the screen be changed to show the current health? Making the icon flash when the building is under attack would also be a good way to remind people to defend.

- Economy is kinda borked in these huge games, especially with the addition of the tiberium silo capturable. There's just too much money to go around, and it's a real problem when you pack 64 players into maps originally designed for 20 or 30 at most. A good solution I think would be to scale credit rewards down as the # of players in a map goes beyond the suggested player limit.

- It would be nice if all lock-on weapons were given an alternate "dumb fire" mode. Stealth Tanks in particular seem to have problems hitting infantry who are running at them. The locked-on missiles will consistently overshoot their target.

- Can we get an option to change Crosshair color?

- Vehicle locking is kind of annoying now. I get why it exists, but it's really aggravating when I can't hop into a vehicle to prevent it from being stolen by the other team. In my experience you could trust people in the original Renegade to not be dicks and to return the vehicle if they needed to use it for some reason. I'm sure you've had tons of discussion on this change but let me just throw in a vote for no locking.

- Light Tank feels a bit weaker than it should IMO. I'm not sure if it's actually nerfed from it's original strength or it's simply being overshadowed by the new Arty/Stank/MRLS changes, all whom are significantly better now that they have the ability to indirect fire. The MRLS w/ lockon (and rocket infantry) in particular are now much more deadly against Light Tanks since dodging their homing rockets is far more difficult, and Light Tanks can't afford to take many hits. Don't really have any concrete suggestions, just throwing it out there that the Light Tank seems to be getting the short end of the stick more often than not.

- Marksmen feel a bit too good of a sniper for a free unit. I'd recommend reducing the refire rate a notch.

Now for the bugs/funny things going on.

- Lots of weapons aren't showing bullet holes. Rifle, Chain Gun, Machine pistol, probably a few more.

- Sprinting disrupts the reload animation in first person.

- Raveshaw/Sydney can cancel the cooldown on their railgun/ion cannon by weapon switching. Dunno if you intended this, but it's quite powerful. Lets them get 4 shots in about 4 seconds rather than 10.

- Refill isn't actually refilling stamina.

- Chat messages really needs to last longer, there is basically no time to read what's being said.

I agree. At the moment, you can press ~ to read chat logs.

- There's no UI function to find the health of your buildings as far as I can tell. Can the building icons at the bottom of the screen be changed to show the current health? Making the icon flash when the building is under attack would also be a good way to remind people to defend.

There is. Hold Tab. This brings up the scoreboard and it also shows all remaining buildings with their HP bars. As far as the HUD icons, they do turn red when they are low on HP, but that's about it.

- Economy is kinda borked in these huge games, especially with the addition of the tiberium silo capturable. There's just too much money to go around, and it's a real problem when you pack 64 players into maps originally designed for 20 or 30 at most. A good solution I think would be to scale credit rewards down as the # of players in a map goes beyond the suggested player limit.

But if you think about it, if you're gonna press through 32 enemy players, you're going to need the super powerful stuff. Both teams have these credits so it balances out. Plus airstrikes are an excellent credit sink if you have too much to use.

- It would be nice if all lock-on weapons were given an alternate "dumb fire" mode. Stealth Tanks in particular seem to have problems hitting infantry who are running at them. The locked-on missiles will consistently overshoot their target.

They already do. Most locking weapons have it. Their secondary fire just fires straight, ignoring the lock. Only exception to this would be vehicles like the mammoth tank or attack helicopters.

- Vehicle locking is kind of annoying now. I get why it exists, but it's really aggravating when I can't hop into a vehicle to prevent it from being stolen by the other team. In my experience you could trust people in the original Renegade to not be dicks and to return the vehicle if they needed to use it for some reason. I'm sure you've had tons of discussion on this change but let me just throw in a vote for no locking.

This is actually already being worked on from internal tester feedback. The new system just wasn't ready for today's release.

There is. Hold Tab. This brings up the scoreboard and it also shows all remaining buildings with their HP bars. As far as the HUD icons, they do turn red when they are low on HP, but that's about it.

Thanks, didn't notice it there. I know in Renegade it was in a separate menu entirely, so I was looking for that.

But if you think about it, if you're gonna press through 32 enemy players, you're going to need the super powerful stuff. Both teams have these credits so it balances out. Plus airstrikes are an excellent credit sink if you have too much to use.

Well, no. The defender always has the advantage and the higher power stuff they have, the bigger the relative advantage they have is. On the flip side, the 7 vehicle limit and limited frontage in general means that the attacker can't concentrate power relative to their strength, yet always has (nearly) limitless tank reserves so that the defender can't really exhaust the attacker and push out into the middle. It's most obvious on maps like Field. And I'm not even concerned about GDI vs. Nod balance, merely fun gameplay and preventing stalemates. It's kind of silly when I have 20k credits and can't even spend them because we're at 7/7 tanks but for the split second after we've lost one.

They already do. Most locking weapons have it. Their secondary fire just fires straight, ignoring the lock. Only exception to this would be vehicles like the mammoth tank or attack helicopters.

OK, I tried and it looks like what's actually going wrong is that the missile arc isn't hitting the target correctly. It's consistently overshooting what you are aiming at at close range, so that you need to aim at the ground several feet in front of the area you are actually targeting.

Would like to make another suggestion for UI/accessibility: Display the names and class of the people who currently occupy the vehicle with you. Been attempting some APC rushes and the fact that I can't see how many people are inside and what they are (newbs getting in with non-engineers) is very inconvenient.

1)Couldnt agree more with there beeing just too much money.

It's actually one of the things that really disapointed me,I expected that every purchase of a vehicle/hero/weapon would need to be a well though out investment,that you would need to carefully consider what you want to buy and when exactly,do you wanna go for an early advantage on the enemy by buying a better gun,or do you wanna save up for a tank.

If tanks and and heroes/weapons costed like 10x times more,people would of been very carefull not to lose them,it would of made them tactical assets that you get rewarded for keeping alive just as much as you get punished for loosing them.

The way it is now,it just feels like everybody and their grandmother can spam mammoth tanks all day and never worry about running out of money.

2)Honestly,lock on weapons is one of those things that just needed to be removed in my opinion.

I get why it was in the original,in the C&C RTS games rocket troopers didnt have a miss chance,they fire and they do guaranteed damage to vehicles and renegade was trying to emulate those mechanics in an FPS game.

But in my opinion any type of lock on weapons(that remove the aim factor and skill) simply dont belong in FPS games.

I would of love to see lock on removed completely and to balance that,rocket launcher's dmg could of been a bit buffed and skillbased wire guided rocket launchers could of been added to keep the air power in check(like the AT-4 from bad company 2 for example)

The games are not currently that competitive at all. Too many people are new, and so the games are lasting a long time and teams are getting a lot of credits because of this. Just give it a couple weeks when actual strategy starts being implemented per team, and the usefulness of credits will become much more apparent.