Critique of RenX Gameplay, first impressions.

RoundShades

Okay, just got the game and played to see how the things work. Here are my opinions. Take them for what they are, I am humble and just offer simple words.

0) This game is much better than Renegade in my opinion so far. Do not let me listing negatives negate that, the positives seem so much more obvious, so I won't immediately go for them. Constructive feedback on fixable things is more important.

1) Grenades: Saw in release notes, grenades can be tossed anytime if chosen from PT and press "G". Doesn't work, doesn't mention it in settings inputs, assuming was supposed to be in but somehow got left behind.

2) Glass in Buildings: like the airstrip and hon, the glass in the windows can be shot out in individual chunks. Problem is, shoot it out in a circular pattern, you get floating broken glass. Yeah...

3) Character models on rather low settings: Yep, go straight to settings and setup a "grimbar config" (optimizing FPS for sniping), and... GAH, WOTCHA FACE M8? What happened from the pics in January for Mendoza compared to his low-settings model which looks like a ghoul from Fallout? Meh, as long as it runs fast, it's just barely worth the fugly...

4) The volt rifles (at least fugly's) fires with a pretty big vertical kick. Takes a lot of getting used to. My gripe is it is hard to hit a lot of things with these expensive weapons, almost easier to peck headshots with autorifles. Another gripe about the volt rifle itself, is that it doesn't ADS, instead the secondary is a powerful wide-spread multi-beam shock, very powerful against vehicles and closerange infantry, but limits usefulness at range. Especially with the relatively short range cap, can't hit most buildings from safety of cover or tunnels even. Same problem extends for laser chaingun, except secondary does nothing there, so it has huge spread and kick that gets worse with sustained fire, no way to keep it spun so you lose tremendous DPS pecking since it's spinup time, and generally it is good otherwise, it would be good if I could actually use it straightforward, which is why I suggest secondary fire keeps it spinned up while "letting the recoil cool down" so you can peck at full-auto and keep it stable and actually hit stuff with it, while also recommending a max range increase as it cant shoot from front rocks in whiteout into gdi base even to the turrets, the very short dropoff makes it limited in use coupled with the hard to use mechanics. A lot of the other things in the game seem pretty good though, some things just meh but they were just meh in Renegade so they still have a "purpose to spend credits on" like flametank nothing special but you buy it for that one thing it does.

5) Pistol and machinepistol, pistol does more damage per shot if you have self restraint to make sure shots land especially if you can score headshots, yet machinepistol is more reliable in panic situations, both weapons sometimes compliment different actual classes, and yet pistol is infinite ammo while machinepistol is limited. Meh, needs something that keeps it from being spammed for classes with poor primaries to be balanced I guess. How about grenades, engineers are pretty strong utilizing just grenades and really anything is because you get three and can actually land them reliably with practice, should probably cut grenades down to 2 considering a well placed one is a huge damage. BUG PERHAPS: Do you get anything extra for hotwire with grenades? you sacrifice 2 timed c4 instead of 1 so should the sacrifice still get you overall less? I suppose you can always refill.

6) Can't say everything AIs do is intelligent, however the masterful ones can land shells from tanks insanely accurately. Very overaccurate, could cost me many lives if I don't realize it's a bot right-off and try to juke it's shot-leading. On masterful they might just be too good to be normal to play against, they don't play especially well but they never miss shots on you so they can fodder you all day long with hardly a gunfight to be won against them.

How is everyone else liking this game so far? I think some fun stuff in this game, I just want to spin in circles and go weee!

I just picked the game up today, I'm in the same boat as you. I turned my settings as low as they go and I'm still experiencing FPS drops when in a firefight or when too much is happening. I'm using a Nvidia GEForce 765M. That was my biggest annoyance but I'm sure i'll be able to sort that out.

As for the gameplay. It was nice to finally jump back into renegade again and have it be so spot on to the way it used to be. I loved the new marksman class as well as the vehicles (mammoth and arty in particular). I did notice that the APC does literally no damage anymore to infantry. I held the thing on somebody standing still for 3 solid seconds before it kills them. In Renegade it used to just chop you down. The weapon ranges feel a lot shorter, especially with the volt auto rifle.

Is there a way to lock your vehicle yet? Because every time I step out to repair, it is stolen and kamakazied.

I'm pretty frustrated with the new Air strikes. They are literally constantly raining down. Is there a way to tell where they are called in advance like the ion cannon or nuke? Every minute these airstrikes wipe out all the engineers pushing or defending the tanks. I feel like this mechanic was implemented to break up those 20 minute long structure bashes, but I wish they were a little easier to avoid.

I love all the new characters and weapons. Great job so far, once I find a solution for my low FPS i'll be happy.

If you pay attention to your surroundings, you can see a laser pointer where an airstrike is being targeted. If you miss it, just find cover and hope it's not about to hit you.

Otherwise, you just gotta realize the current matches are jammed full of players. So airstrikes every few seconds is just a given. If you play on a server with less players, they will be less frequent. They do cost 700 credits each.

If you pay attention to your surroundings, you can see a laser pointer where an airstrike is being targeted. If you miss it, just find cover and hope it's not about to hit you.

Otherwise, you just gotta realize the current matches are jammed full of players. So airstrikes every few seconds is just a given. If you play on a server with less players, they will be less frequent. They do cost 700 credits each.

700 Credits doesn't mean anything on Islands.mix when the harvy comes by every 30 seconds. We were GDI side getting our bar seiged and literally had ac-130s hitting outside the bar towards the tunnels constantly. It was about a 50/50 if you'd make it to the tunnels alive. really frustrating. Does it announce every time an airstrike comes in? I know i've heard EVA talk about friendly airstrikes. I haven't even bothered to look up, I've seen warthogs, but is there a c-130 that'll fly in so I know they're coming?

Another map where the airstrikes were just to much was defending as NOD on field. GDI is strong enough on that map. With the raised barrier by the HON so you can't shoot over it, it's really hard to stack a couple arties there to push back the camp. If you go to the far side of the strip you can arc some over but you can't see what you're shooting. Every time I played field today it was just a huge GDI camp .