3rd person view "lags" behind the character?

SFJake

This is from what I've seen of the various videos/streams.

When you are in 3rd person view, the camera "lags" behind your movement. In Renegade it was strict -> the camera was very tightly tied to your movement. In Renegade X however, if you pop up behind a wall, it actually takes a split second before you can see, for example, because the camera is slightly delayed.

This might sound like a small thing to some, but to me, it sounds like a very clear disadvantage 3rd person was given. 3rd person is instantly weaker around cover and especially in tight places, strictly because of this little lag.

I don't know if that was intentional or not to nerf 3rd person. I'm personally bothered by this because I will have to adopt 1st person in situations I didn't have to in Renegade, since that delay is all that other player needs to shoot me before I do. I don't know of a reason why the camera shouldn't follow the character precisely? Could there be an option for this, even?

Well in the video here:

It happens at 10 seconds or so. Yes, its slight, I actually felt it was more delayed in another video, but maybe thats my memory playing tricks. I know it doesn't look like a big deal being what, 1/10th of a second, but it is a delay that can matter (in this case it doesn't, since the guy is just out in the open). Ideally, the character would always be exactly under the crosshair.

It is very nitpicky, I know. It is still 1/10th of a second I lose using 3rd person around tight corners. I don't recall ever seeing someone play in the tunnels with 3rd person in Renegade X, though.

The game had some "starting lagg" that made it act a bit less smooth for like 1-2 secs once you joined. But I don't have that problem anymore so it probably is already fixed ;).

About 1 á 2 days ago they released another test-build that made the game even more smooth as it was before. 3th person view is still better in my opinion, but its up to the player to choose the style that gives him the most advantage.

Yes, there is a little bit of smoothing applied to the 3rd person camera movement. It's a feature that was added a few months ago, and is mostly an aesthetic decision over a game play one. If more players find issue with it after the game is released, we could definitely look into adding an option to disable it.