.ini editing

SeriousSmiley

I believe all .ini lets you do is change settings that are already in the game settings menu, with the exception of breaking certain barriers like if you have a supersize monitor and want a higher resolution.

Should be allowed as it provides no advantage.

.ini files are plain text coding files. You can change it all you want. Most of the changes available to the .ini files are already in the settings or going to be there soon regardless. You can change them all you like, as it only effects the settings that are loaded by default, and the only changes you can make are ones that were intended to be editable to some degree.

I believe every player has to be running the exact same client thus no modifying of files is allowed.

That only applies for code and assets. People can change configuration as they wish.

If modified inis weren't allowed, everyone would have to play with the same graphics settings and same key bindings :-P

The amount of config scripting you can do in a Quake-derived engine like Source/idtech is much more expansive and nobody bats an eye. It's a piece of cake to recreate Renegade's instant 180 degree turn "x" key in TF2, which would probably be considered cheating by this community. I don't think that's possible through UDK .ini tweaks, but I just wanted to get dev approval before creating any sort of custom commands.

Things like macro-enabled gaming mice, or real-time dpi switching, are hard to detect and really I've never seen anyone get banned for using them. I know for a fact that my old gaming mouse (Microsoft sidewinder) could easily program a 180 turn into any game.

It'll probably be frowned upon by the community but I doubt they'll be bannable.