How ambitious is Renegade X?

outlaw688

Obviously ambitious enough to create a masterpiece true to the original game, yet bold enough to explore flavorful new additions to gameplay that compliment the original. I hope to see that creativity continue exactly in this way, true to the original, and bold in continuing to add fine details to the players experience.

I would like to suggest one such fine detail, that would benefit the player and the player-base alike. Personal progress in enhancements of the players equipment, whereby the player may unlock a range of optics, silencers, and firearm accessories, as well as upgrades to tools, which stay with the player once unlocked.

Bottom line, progression of improving yourself by unlocking advanced playability with classes, equipment, upgrades, etc is a great way to enrich a players experience.

Edited by Guest

I don't mean to offend but in my personal eye, gameplay progression in a game like this is one of the bane of multiplayer experiences, particularily FPS games. Having to get scrapes by playing more is just an annoyance -nobody- should EVER have to deal with. I'm strongly against any such thing.

In my honest opinion, this is the complete opposite of an improvement of the experience. Its a dumbing down of the experience into a grind and the game should be fun and full without any of that. You play the game to play the game, not to unlock a bunch of things you can't play with until you played X hours, for absolutely no reason but to satisfy players that aren't satisfied with playing a multiplayer game for what it is.

The only way I'd support an upgrade system is if the unlocks are cosmetic that only your character can use and all other players can see. For example, a skin that you unlock that only appears on your character and all other players can see.

But I'm 100% against anything that gives a player even the slightest advantage over anyone else. The main reason why Renegade is so fun is because everyone is always on the same level and no one has any extra buffs or enhancements above anyone else. This should not be altered.

Certainly, the game is meant to be played for what it is. And any game where the whole point IS upgrades sounds pointless.

Having upgrades that can fine tune your preferred playing experience are details that are optional, not creating staggering difference and advantage between new and old players, but rather creating additional exploration and playability.

The perfect example of a higher power scope available if it is earned. I start with 8x magnification, and I love sniping, and I can work to get a 10x magnification, which enhances gameplay without altering the full body of content that the game already gives.

There is definitely a line of what enhances, and what diminishes a players experience:

Support:

An upgrade to carry an extra grenade.

An upgrade to higher velocity ammo for certain rifles that reaches a little farther.

An option to replace a standard red dot with a magnified red dot.

Oppose:

Higher HP unlockable armor

More damage per bullet

BFG unlockable

Nothing to unlock that is overpowered, only things that provide a utility purpose and are beneficial to the player for their own pursuits within the game. Like premium binoculars that see slightly farther. That take you 5 hours of gameplay to get, and ideally are 1 choice among 100 similar intriguing choices you could have made.

Edited by Guest

I can't emphasize how much I disagree. If they were just base customization options it would be fine, but otherwise no, every slight advantage over someone is unacceptable. That extra grenade can mean you get a kill and he doesn't just because he had no extra grenade. You can have a tank fight and he can hit you and you can't. These things seem small but are ultimately ridiculous.

You seem to completely mix the concept of "unlockables" and "having more options for customization". The later being good, the former being terrible.

I would have to oppose anything that gives an even small advantages over other players just because they've been playing the game X amount of hours longer than somebody else. I think it's just unnecessary in a game like Renegade, where there is already an abundance of playstyles which is influenced by the game's economy.

I'm glad the developers had the sense to steer themselves away from a rewards system of this sort that seems to be in every kind of multiplayer game these days. If a system is put into place where unlockable items are awarded from gameplay, cosmetics should be the only thing to come out of it.

There is a way to give the player custom enhancements that change the game to their liking, but don't diminish it for a player who hasn't earned that upgrade. If I can carry 10 rockets and you can carry 9, or if I can see better farther away with my 2x red dot, and you can see better up close with your 1x, that makes gameplay infinitely unique to your personal role in the game.

If my rifle is effective to 500 yards, and yours is 480 you can definitely still get me.

If my silencer makes it harder to hear me, but reduces my range to 400 yards, that's a cool feature.

I have to echo other's responses here. Part of what made Renegade great is that it did none of those things. A little bit of a digression, but the F2P model on FPS' hasn't resulted in a good game yet. Loadout may break that mold, but only if you can stomach grinding out all the top tier weapons (which will likely change after a couple balance passes anyway).

In a [competitive] FPS it's important to make everything available to everyone from the get-go. While some people enjoy that kind of progression in an FPS game (and there are many fans of CoD and BF), others enjoy exactly the opposite.

I agree with most here. While have some kind of cosmrtic upgrades could be nice, any kind of advantage over newer players is a no go for me. Evektually, you already have a huge advantage when u know the game and some of its strategies opposed to being new at it.

The only way I'd support an upgrade system is if the unlocks are cosmetic that only your character can use and all other players can see. For example, a skin that you unlock that only appears on your character and all other players can see.

But I'm 100% against anything that gives a player even the slightest advantage over anyone else. The main reason why Renegade is so fun is because everyone is always on the same level and no one has any extra buffs or enhancements above anyone else. This should not be altered.

cosmetic? There is a way to do progressive unlockables.

just make them character versions, like throwback skins from renegade havoc or Logan as a 500 sniper and stuff.

but yes, having to play to unlock weapons for instance, ruin the game. Its adverse effect is anyone playing for the first time a month from now will get tired of playing catch up against players with better weapons and quit. Progressives give players new to the game incentive to quit. No progressives give anyone incentive to start playing anytime in the future.

When i played BF4 Beta i thought what the hell! I need to spend 40+€ to get the "full game" ....ok so far, but acutally i need to add xx-Hours to unlock the "full game" caused due progression.

Progression is only a bad way to keep you palying, its more like "work" in a game where you supposed to have "fun".

Its sad to see how many are used to it allready by playing AAA games.

Sorry but I disagree with OP.

Renegade game-play mechanics by default enable you to customize your player by selecting class, weapon load-out, vehicle and role. You get to do all of this in a single match and no match is ever the same. Adding any form of unlockables would ruin the balance and fun.

Renegade enables you to jump into the game and be on the same level as everyone else, whether you are a competitive player or a casual player, no advantages.

The only thing I would support is custom visual player skins for all those who *donate* money to the dev team. The skins would have to be very close to original and provide no visual advantage.

Cheers,

Fultre

The only thing I would support is custom visual player skins for all those who *donate* money to the dev team.

EA has prevented them from receiving any kind of money from this game, including donations.

Unless you meant donating credits in game, which would be kind of funny to see a dev receive thousands of credits from everyone whenever they join a game.

The only thing I would support is custom visual player skins for all those who *donate* money to the dev team.

EA has prevented them from receiving any kind of money from this game, including donations.

Unless you meant donating credits in game, which would be kind of funny to see a dev receive thousands of credits from everyone whenever they join a game.

I see. No I didn't mean in game credits but that sounds hilarious! :D

However, being a professional and for sake of balance I will have to dismiss that idea. :cool:

I don't mean to offend but in my personal eye, gameplay progression in a game like this is one of the bane of multiplayer experiences, particularily FPS games. Having to get scrapes by playing more is just an annoyance -nobody- should EVER have to deal with. I'm strongly against any such thing.

In my honest opinion, this is the complete opposite of an improvement of the experience. Its a dumbing down of the experience into a grind and the game should be fun and full without any of that. You play the game to play the game, not to unlock a bunch of things you can't play with until you played X hours, for absolutely no reason but to satisfy players that aren't satisfied with playing a multiplayer game for what it is.

Couldnt agree more,I feel like the majority of FPS players these days have forgoten the concept of playing a game for the gameplay and the fun it provides,rather than unlocking stuff...

Actually this is RENEGADE not a Generic XX random shooter that needs to Lure people with "unlocks " ( actualy game content you need to grind for )

Renegade Lures people with the Endless lasting and fun Gameplay name me ONE only ONE shooter with "progression" that did laste more than 4 years ?

Renegade did last like 8 years ( or even more ) and is still played :D and gets a totally new Engine + graphics + anything from Great Devs ( Modder actually the best one ! :D )

and the Joke is. The Original Renegade wasnt even Finished.