How is administrating a server done? admintools?

Gami

Like the title says, I was wondering if there are any administration tools for the servers or in what way administration is done.

Sorry if it has been asked before but I've been browsing around for a little bit and couldn't find much about it.

So if anyone could tell me if there are any admintools for server owners OR how admins and mods lists along with kicks and bans are done that would be much appreciated!

Since if our community is going to host servers I would like to make a little tutorial for our other admins with how everything works.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry if i wasn't clear but I ment policing the server yeah.

I've played a ridiculous amount of renegade back then but i've never really used any console commands or administrated a renegade server (barely knew english back then)

If it's done the same way as in renegade, any good source for all the admin commands and such ?

Thanks!

Nor sure if there is a command list anywhere or not (possibly in the server tools, but I haven't seen those yet). Typing in a letter via the console commands box will give you a list of the commands that begin with that letter, though.

Most useful for policing in renegade ingame are:

!qkick

!kick

!ban

!kban

!mute

!eject

!dlast

!disarm

!bmute

!warn

!spectate

And a few others. You pick them up as you go. Most policing is done through irc, honestly.

Do you mean ingame chat with irc?. because if so i understand you on that part. I was just mainly wondering if there's anything where you can put in a list of your administrators and admins so when they connect to the server they automaticly have admin rights and such.

Or do you mean clients like HLSW to externally moderate the server?

Servers are connected to an irc admin channel in renegade. You can be auto authenticated by a saved mod/admin list that is edited via irc commands by any administrator. You'd just have to save the IP and nickname to that list. Without the admin channel, I don't believe that is possible in just the game itself (at least it wasn't in renegade).

A full guide on how the current admin system works will be put up within the days leading up to release. But basically, for the moment, it works how UT3 does; you login with an admin password, then you can use the admin console commands. A few temporary upgrades have been made to the system, to tie us over until a new fully-fledged system is in place. It includes two levels of access, moderator and administrator, and an optional Steam ID whitelist (so you have to be running Steam on an approved account to be able to login).

Interesting with the steamID. Will this play a bigger part in the upcoming sytem that was described on par with sourcemod?

Yeah there will be more control over what specifically authenticates (IP/SteamID/Passwords), so you could do away with passwords completely if you so choose. I'd imagine most people would be doing just that and rolling with SteamID only as it'd then be all automatic and virtually secure.

How does banning work? Is there some sort of ID linked to each player?

At the moment with the UT3 admin command, it bans by IP and if you are running Steam, it'll ban the SteamID too. So don't let your buddy/brother who is running off the same net connection as you play on the servers you like to play on if he's a dick :-P

Wait...so the server admins can REQUIRE people to have a SteamID? As in only people who are logged into RenX with a Steam account could connect to the server?

I dont want to be required to have Steam installed and running to play this.

No. If servers choose to use this option, it would mean that mods and Admins would be required to have to login through their steamid to be authenticated.

Bots are being made that are similar to that of renegade's brenbot, so eventually most of the server modding will come from that (including most probably authentication).

Im confused, then. Why would SteamID whitelist be required for mods/admins, aside from an extra authentication level like an ID token? And why would a server be allowed to restrict mod/admin access to only those with SteamIDs? Only reason I can think of is that the server owner has no faith in the RenX password security and total, absolute blind faith in Steam's.

I can understand having it as an optional thing so peeps could just run RenX directly from Steam without needing to put in an extra password for RenX itself, but I cant think of any good reason why you would restrict access to only allow Steam logins, especially if its only for mods/admins; like you have no faith in your own leadership team.

Wait...so the server admins can REQUIRE people to have a SteamID? As in only people who are logged into RenX with a Steam account could connect to the server?

No. OPTIONAL. People can be running Steam, or not run Steam on the same server. If the admins decide they want extra security, they can require that JUST their admins/mods need to be logged into Steam. So if for whatever reason the admins have something against Steam, they are free to leave it disabled (which is default).

Im confused, then. Why would SteamID whitelist be required for mods/admins, aside from an extra authentication level like an ID token? And why would a server be allowed to restrict mod/admin access to only those with SteamIDs? Only reason I can think of is that the server owner has no faith in the RenX password security and total, absolute blind faith in Steam's.

It's not about having no faith, it's about not having complete faith - which to put frankly would be naive when it isn't a small tight-nit group. If you have a large moderating team, there is certainly a chance that one or two may give the password to a buddy or two (and from there it can grow). It is also easy for a shared password to be accidentally leaked. Then there is the not so uncommon case of bad apples that slip in, who get in and then purposefully distribute the password. Most admins will want to remain in charge of who has moderation access, not letting moderators themselves give it out.

EDIT: Though regarding requiring everyone on a server to run Steam, that will exist in some instances too because it will be required for authenticating players in clanwars.

VAC support with UDK isn't documented (publicly anyway) and the workings of VAC itself isn't much advertised, so I'm not even aware if it is running when playing a UDK game. Since RenX isn't officially on Steam, it uses the default UDK "Steam App ID" which gets shared with all other UDK games also not officially on Steam.

VAC Banning bans by game (for the most part, there are various special cases), so a VAC ban that'd work on RenX would apply to all these other UDK games and vice versa, so I think they've likely just disabled VAC working for the games running the default UDK App ID.

So basically: I don't think so but I could be wrong. I'm sure there will be a number of not-so-reputable characters that'll test it for us though..

I see. I was just thinking about the old system where you could "forcerg" a suspected hacker and once they got 3 forcergs the game kicked them and they were suspended until they installed Renguard. It'd be cool to have the same thing with steam and VAC.

It's not about having no faith, it's about not having complete faith - which to put frankly would be naive when it isn't a small tight-nit group. If you have a large moderating team, there is certainly a chance that one or two may give the password to a buddy or two (and from there it can grow). It is also easy for a shared password to be accidentally leaked. Then there is the not so uncommon case of bad apples that slip in, who get in and then purposefully distribute the password. Most admins will want to remain in charge of who has moderation access, not letting moderators themselves give it out.

EDIT: Though regarding requiring everyone on a server to run Steam, that will exist in some instances too because it will be required for authenticating players in clanwars.

Ah, that makes sense. I wasnt aware that there was going to be shared passwords for mods/admins; thinking about that, though...it seems a little weird. Maybe its because I never had admin access on a Renegade server, but that seems like a silly thing to have a global password for. Was/is that a Renegade/RenX specific thing, because that doesnt seem right. Am I missing important context?

It's that way because it is the UT3 admin system, which had a single access level (everything) and one password. It has just been extended a little bit to be actually somewhat usable in a real pubic server environment. Even so, there is still much to be desired and so a more sophisticated, purpose-built system will phase this old system out soon.