Regarding the *Boink* Notification Upon Kill

perfectblue

Today was the first day I had been introduced to this game via another users forum post on another board. I grew up with the C&C series and was very impressed from the footage I viewed. However, there is one minor issue that is really nagging me, and that is the *boink* sound that plays after you kill a target.

I know the developers aimed to keep some of the quirks from the original game, but I think they should reconsider or at the very least allow you to disable it. For anyone that did not grow up playing the original renegade it will likely be a sound that removes some level of immersion from the game. It is comical, and sounds completely out of place when the games OST is playing in the background and you are rolling in an armor column into the enemies base, call down an air strike and proceed to here *boink*x5.

It's an acquired taste that you learn to love, trust me.

It does sound comical at first, but after a few games - it becomes a sound that is just music to the ears. I seriously sometimes play CoD competitively and wish there was a boink there too. It's truly an awesome sound that is a pure classic.

It's an acquired taste that you learn to love, trust me.

It does sound comical at first, but after a few games - it becomes a sound that is just music to the ears. I seriously sometimes play CoD competitively and wish there was a boink there too. It's truly an awesome sound that is a pure classic.

I think this may be a case of rose colored nostalgia glasses. Or in this case, rose colored boink. :D

Ya I thought this was going to be about how you love the boink, the boink is Renegade. Throwing timers on terminals and then hearing 4 boinks go off at once, you can't beat that stuff, toss a timer on someone before you die and hear a boink 40 seconds later.

The boink being disabled being an option is a preference thing and isn't harmful to include really.

I would rather have the boink than nothing, but I could think of other fun sounds to add/replace boink with.

I think keeping it a boink is a cultural thing. The boink IS Renegade. I think it really would hurt the culture of the game to be able to change it IMO.

Cant stop the boink!

1) We would NEVER get "rid" of it.

2) We may just give an option to turn it off.

Or replace to a more generic kill sound????

3) Maybe even able to customize.

Customization would be best, or if that is too hard because of the engine, just give a few options, some more "generic" and less out of place.

I know you all love the boink but joking aside, some people actually legitimately find it annoying over time. I've played Renegade a long time and I prefer to use something else. I do like being notified of a kill however, and would rather not have to turn it off.

1) We would NEVER get "rid" of it.

2) We may just give an option to turn it off.

Or replace to a more generic kill sound????

3) Maybe even able to customize.

Customization would be best, or if that is too hard because of the engine, just give a few options, some more "generic" and less out of place.

I know you all love the boink but joking aside, some people actually legitimately find it annoying over time. I've played Renegade a long time and I prefer to use something else. I do like being notified of a kill however, and would rather not have to turn it off.

Agreed. The reason I created this thread was to forewarn the devs as to what many new players will be thinking when they hear the kill confirmed sound. It has some novelty of course, and many of you who played the original will still be fond of it, but for the majority of new players I think this sound will be off putting.

Cannot believe anyone even dared to bring this up. Are you boinkers? Long live the boink!

If you guys want to grow this community, you will need to embrace new blood too, not just people who played the original for hours on end.

Yeah, but this suggestion is equivalent of removing Master Chief from Halo. Adding some replacement characters would certainly make it more homogenized for the masses, but it kills the culture of the game.

It would be like removing "Killing Spree" from UT.

Like removing chest high walls from Gears.

Like removing strippers from the Duke.

This request falls on deaf ears.

Cannot believe anyone even dared to bring this up. Are you boinkers? Long live the boink!

If you guys want to grow this community, you will need to embrace new blood too, not just people who played the original for hours on end.

Yeah, but this suggestion is equivalent of removing Master Chief from Halo. Adding some replacement characters would certainly make it more homogenized for the masses, but it kills the culture of the game.

Problem I have is I don't even know where the jokes starts and ends.

That really is the problem. I mean, you can remove Master Chief from Halo and it still work, to be honest there is plenty of other canon to pull from to make a whole piece without it. The point is in fact embracing new blood. People have a right to want to be professional. To be honest, someone will probably make some convoluted way to remove the boink if they wanted to. Unreal can limit it, but the fact that people can juke computer programming ensures it is possible someway somehow.

• 11 months later...
I love the boink!

I want to isolate the sound so I can play it on my computer, phone, or whatever. Does anyone know how I can get the sound file? I have both Renegade X and the original on my computers. Thank you!

I think the program is called XCC Mixer and it can extract any file from the original Renegades always.dat file, which is where you will find the boink sound.

I'm a new player and the boink already grows on me. As said previously, it is such a satisfying sound

Then again, other sounds might do that as well if it was used instead of the boink. I'll just go neutral

The boink stays!

Main reason and only reason is: it's nostalgia from the original ren. If it goes, this is no longer ren

• 2 weeks later...
The boink sound is probably the only part of the game that is the same as the original game.

You are right. The "Keep 'em Coming" sound needs to come back to PT purchases. Just activate it with the "confirm" button. Cancel does not activate it. Enter activates Confirm which Activates it. Escape activates Cancel which does not.

Again, maybe audio options should have on-off switch for boink and keepemcoming and junk.

• 2 weeks later...

The "best" boink of all:

Situation: Field map, Nod under heavy siege by GDI.

Vehicle: In the Mobile Artillery, behind Hon spamming the Nod bunker.

URGENT MESSAGE SPAMMED: INCOMING MOBIUS/GUNNER RUSH THROUGH TUNNELS!

Quietly moves Artillery back to get in line with the Airstrip tunnels

As soon as the Mobius/Gunners start firing, start firing that Artillery into the tunnel!

BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK! BOINK!

2 seconds later GDI spams:

Lol

Lol

Lol

Phail

Fail

Lol

• 1 month later...

The boink is kinda silly, but also kinda awesome. And it's kinda a defining trait of the multiplayer experience. Having some sort of tick; an hit sound or kill sound is pretty staple of shooters these days anyways. (really helps when you're unsure if you killed that sbh or not)

the dude who created the keyboard was probably criticized for using "qwerty" instead of "abcdef."
the age of typewriters has long past, but everyone was already used to it. qwerty made the arms not get stuck, thus the original complaints of the mechanism were solved.
I love the boink, but I do enjoy customization too. Just think of the possibilities, replacing the boink with the sonic ring sound, TF2 Heavy saying "Dead!" or the CoD hitsound.
Mod-ability is on the to-do list. Although modding clientside stuff like sounds and textures was crazy easy in the original game.

Edit: After having modded tera in the past, i know that doing textures is relatively easy, assuming you have upk/gpk editors you just drag drop overwrite the texture in the pack files, making backups or _Foldername directories as mod-only folders . . . sounds is a little bit more trouble. but it's definitely not as easy as putting files of the appropriate names into the data folder like in renegade. There is also that texmod thing.