Renegade X in Steam (Indie section)

Palexon

Origin isn't that bad.

Sure you need to install an extra client you have no use for but it's not intrusive or anything and has an ingame overlay like steam.

That said I only used origin for bf3 and it didn't seem as bad, but that maybe only because battlelog was getting all the negative attention instead.

I'd love a steam release over anything else.

Also steam has the early access section for alphas and betas:

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

I just hate Origin because of the horrible hassle I went through for...ME3 I think it was? I bought the game and then downloaded a pirated copy just so I didnt have to use Origin.

Then again...I hate Steam too for many reasons, but one of them is that I still hold a grudge for all the crap it put me through back in the day. I dont care how good it is now, I remember it from back then. And Ive always been against such platforms that act as horrible in-your-face DRM while masquerading as a convenience tool; simply on principle.

Not to mention that even if it did get put on Steam or Origin, I doubt very much it would receive the benefit of advertisements like paid games do. And since the game will already have been fully developed by that point, it wont be a benefit to use Steam to coordinate servers either, since the server management tools will have fully matured. That leaves its only purpose as a digital hosting service with a completely non-integrated friends feature that probably wont even directly benefit RenX at first, if ever.

*breathes in paper bag* Ok, Im ok now.

I just hate Origin because of the horrible hassle I went through for...ME3 I think it was? I bought the game and then downloaded a pirated copy just so I didnt have to use Origin.

Then again...I hate Steam too for many reasons, but one of them is that I still hold a grudge for all the crap it put me through back in the day. I dont care how good it is now, I remember it from back then. And Ive always been against such platforms that act as horrible in-your-face DRM while masquerading as a convenience tool; simply on principle.

Not to mention that even if it did get put on Steam or Origin, I doubt very much it would receive the benefit of advertisements like paid games do. And since the game will already have been fully developed by that point, it wont be a benefit to use Steam to coordinate servers either, since the server management tools will have fully matured. That leaves its only purpose as a digital hosting service with a completely non-integrated friends feature that probably wont even directly benefit RenX at first, if ever.

*breathes in paper bag* Ok, Im ok now.

I've seen many debates on this and there's always lots of bias on either side.

Steam's drm is nowhere near bad compared to some others (i'm looking at you assassin's creed 2, single player only game that required you to be online all the time to play it and would close itself if internet died) the only thing it needs is you to log in to play online, if you've logged in before successfully once you can then start steam in offline mode.

Basically if renx would get onto steam it would only really benefit from the community bit since it's non monetizable. A lot of people on steam are people without credit cards.

It also makes it much easier to keep track with updates too because you can push updates to steam easily (as I've heard) and have everyone who has it installed be auto updated.

So you can push hot fixes for problems without having to have a full on patch.

You can also have beta branch updates that you can sign up for and basically be able to publicly beta test changes that aren't ready to go to all players yet and collect feedback.

Steam's DRM is not required, it's an optional feature the developer can use, which most do.

Plus you'll reserve yourself a spot here http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free%20to%20Play/ even though the game isn't really free to play.

I'm pretty sure renx will work with steam anyway.

Black dawn did it in a way that if steam was on it would show that you are playing the unreal development kit to your friends and have the ingame overlay function.

If it was off it would just start the game normally without steam.

So the only real advantage here is easy updates, community integration and more players.

Origin is the same as steam except nobody uses it and it has nowhere near as many features as steam.

Please release it on steam ASAP, or at least contact valve and see what they have to say. They aren't as picky as everyone in this thread implies. The amount of games that don't even come close to the production quality of Renegade-X that have been approved on greenlight are a testament to how easy it is for an indie game to get released on steam. Honestly, I could get HEAPS of my friends to play it if it was on Steam because it's convenient to download for them. Without a release on Steam I will have to beg them to download it through other avenues. Steam will open Renegade X up to a much broader audience. Saying that it isn't on Steam because it isn't finished is ridiculous. There are MANY early access games in alpha/beta on Steam (ones that are nowhere near as complete as Renegade X is).

I would like to see this on Origin. I think we owe EA that much.

I know, I know, I hate them for what they done but I think they have turned a leaf allowing the RENX project to happen.

I don't think that RenX actually "owes" EA one, because this is actually free advertising for CnC.

I would like to see this on Origin. I think we owe EA that much.

I know, I know, I hate them for what they done but I think they have turned a leaf allowing the RENX project to happen.

I don't think that RenX actually "owes" EA one, because this is actually free advertising for CnC.

Hmmm, good point. It's just that I am used to seeing EA crush C&C bit by bit after each iteration, that this slight gesture of good is a welcomed one. Having said that Origin is actually a decent tool, excellent download speeds and like steam could attract more players from community. The reason why I am not recommending steam is because there is no way EA would allow that.

Getting the released version of the game on Steam would be great for more exposure. I've seen many of my friends on steam playing free games which I later got into playing myself after asking them how they liked it.

That all depends on when the devs will be ready to release the finished product.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, what is actual legal status of Renegade X.

What is agreement between Totem Arts and EA that they can use C&C name without fear of being sued?

Can we see it?

How come Totem Arts cannot accept donations?

Since Steam has Greenlight AND Early Access category, I see no problem why Renegade X should not be put on Steam at this moment.

Wait, what is actual legal status of Renegade X.

What is agreement between Totem Arts and EA that they can use C&C name without fear of being sued?

Can we see it?

How come Totem Arts cannot accept donations?

Since Steam has Greenlight AND Early Access category, I see no problem why Renegade X should not be put on Steam at this moment.

Totem Arts can develop the game as long as they don't make any money in anyway out of it, including donations.

I think Totem Arts are planning to release Renegade X on Steam when the game is complete as it is still in open beta now.