Westwood likes Renegade X

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

Would be nice if some of them played the game with us.

Did any of them play the original that they themselves designed?

^serious question^

I am personally a big fan of some of their work. Wasn't best designed, but was early day fun for sure. My question, is did they think their simple library asset based W3D engine would be used so heavily in player mods? I mean, players built most of the most functional features, but it's the fact that it was the groundwork for that which is impressive.

Would be nice if some of them played the game with us.

Did any of them play the original that they themselves designed?

^serious question^

I am personally a big fan of some of their work. Wasn't best designed, but was early day fun for sure. My question, is did they think their simple library asset based W3D engine would be used so heavily in player mods? I mean, players built most of the most functional features, but it's the fact that it was the groundwork for that which is impressive.

I think the engine's massive versatility is the reason they used it, modding was mostly an indirect bonus. Probably the same reason RenX is done in UDK.

Did you know Petroglyph was formed from some members of Westwood, which is why they make pretty decent although lower budget RTS games. If you have not played Universe at War and Star Wars:EAW, try them.

Did you know I think Petroglyph makes bad games?

This news by "Westwood" is indeed the best news within the WWW, which I have yet read so far for the many last years and all regards goes to the RenX Modding team. Dear Westwood, if you read this, we are missing you.

Please come back.. Come back with the so-long-awaited C&C Movie. Bring Joe Kucan within, nothing without him!! The next StarWars cough cough cough Tiberium Wars episodes 1 - 7...

It is a mess what EA has done with the C&C Universe in general, messed up storylines etc..

Kane was never intended to be a crazy guy, but a best friend!! heheheh

I doubt Westwood will ever return. Once EA gets their claws into a franchise, no matter how bad it does, they will be hard pressed to sell the rights to anyone. Though maybe if they are doing bad monetarily one year an someone offers them an absurd amount of money... maybe they'll release it...perhaps...

• 4 weeks later...
Did you know Petroglyph was formed from some members of Westwood, which is why they make pretty decent although lower budget RTS games. If you have not played Universe at War and Star Wars:EAW, try them.

Did you know I think Petroglyph makes bad games?

Sure, ill give you some of their more recent games have been pretty bad. But the mentioned games are pretty damn good, and their newest Grey Goo looks pretty great as well.

On topic: Great to see the old Westwood guys love the game. Must really make ya'll feel fantastic, when the original developers are giving your game praise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I doubt Westwood will ever return. Once EA gets their claws into a franchise, no matter how bad it does, they will be hard pressed to sell the rights to anyone. Though maybe if they are doing bad monetarily one year an someone offers them an absurd amount of money... maybe they'll release it...perhaps...

Yes and no. EA bought Mythic, who makes the MMO Dark Age of Camelot. Recently, a group of some current and ex-employees formed their own off shoot. EA agreed to let them manage all aspects of the game, except EA still processes the payments. They don't belong to EA, but are working on an EA owned franchise. It would be nice to see this happen with the CnC franchise. I don't see it happening though. DAoC is already up and running, and has been since around 2002. A new CnC title would require more money then is needed to work on an already running MMO.