Ingame Hud

ErroR

I really like what you guys have done with the hud but I see one feature missing that I think was essential in renegade.

I'm of course talking about the mini center health and ammo display.

874EdVU.png

Maybe it's been a bit gimmicky in renegade because at the time people played in low enough resolutions to see both health and ammo properly without it but now when everyone's playing on a high resolution I think this feature would be essential in bringing your health and ammo to attention at least when you're critical.

I found them so useful in fact that I just had to incorporate them into tf2 (link) and they've proven to be really helpful.

Are they going to make a return? Having an option for that would be wonderful and would satisfy both people who liked and disliked them.

On the topic of the ingame hud, I really don't like the fact that the health is on top and the armor is at the bottom.

Pretty much any other game I can imagine puts armor on top of health. Is it possible to have an option to flip that if you're not planning on changing it?

I don't really care about the ammo notifier, but I agree the game needs a better way to notify you when you have low HP.

I noticed in some of the videos the player was inside their building with less than full HP and never bothered to refill. Might be because they weren't aware of their HP.

I agree. I actually prefer the RenX ammo counter (and with the inclusion of the mammy tank with two ammo bars, its kinda necessary to be implemented the was it is), but the health info would be nice like the first Renegade. I havent actually played RenX yet, so I may change my tune once I do, but I doubt it.

I don't really care about the ammo notifier, but I agree the game needs a better way to notify you when you have low HP.

I noticed in some of the videos the player was inside their building with less than full HP and never bothered to refill. Might be because they weren't aware of their HP.

The ammo notifier should be there just to keep things symmetrical, at least when you're very low on ammo.

I noticed that people ignore refills as well part might be that you can't see your health properly and another might be that the actual interface of the pt looks sort of intimidating, I've noticed people (been mostly watching kenz) spend quite a while looking for the refill in some cases.

I agree. I actually prefer the RenX ammo counter (and with the inclusion of the mammy tank with two ammo bars, its kinda necessary to be implemented the was it is), but the health info would be nice like the first Renegade. I havent actually played RenX yet, so I may change my tune once I do, but I doubt it.

As nice as it is the fact that it's stuck in the corner I'd still want a low ammo indicator close to the center.

A half life 2 episode 1 ish solution might serve as inspiration as well.

half-life-2-episode-two_212456.jpg

For those who haven't played it the bars around the crosshair show health and ammo

I think various interface in the game could use improvements. The ammo counter is fine for what it is, but the health and armor needs to be more obvious. In Renegade, it was VERY vivid and I found that incredibly useful. Mind you I always play Renegade in 1024x768, so the relative size was also big enough.

The counters on the middle of the screen when low would be very useful as well, though I never made extensive use of that. If the main counters are well done and I thought they were in Renegade, then I always knew my health/ammo count.

On a completely side note, other interface improvements that could be done: Vehicle & Mine count should indicate what the maximum is (say, 5/7 vehicles). Especially considering servers can change that number, thats a useful information to have.

The buying interface is also pretty bad, the colors and contrast makes it hard to look at on the Nod side, and it just lacks any style/coloring. Renegade had a lot of images, but Renegade X decides that everything must blend in, and it kind of sucks.

Anyway, sorry, just didn't want to make a topic just to point out those things.

The buying interface is also pretty bad, the colors and contrast makes it hard to look at on the Nod side, and it just lacks any style/coloring. Renegade had a lot of images, but Renegade X decides that everything must blend in, and it kind of sucks.

Anyway, sorry, just didn't want to make a topic just to point out those things.

I agree. I made a write up and a few pictures comparing the pt screens from previous builds and such but it's stuck in my drafts because I couldn't find a way to suggest improvements.

For those who haven't played it the bars around the crosshair show health and ammo

Yeah, if they did it that way, I would be super happy about it. Aside from a game like Metro: Last Light that used minimal HUD effects (like designing the guns to be obvious how many bullets there currently are loaded without an indicator), the ammo and health indicators cant get any better than what HL2 did.

Yeah, if they did it that way, I would be super happy about it. Aside from a game like Metro: Last Light that used minimal HUD effects (like designing the guns to be obvious how many bullets there currently are loaded without an indicator), the ammo and health indicators cant get any better than what HL2 did.

The problem though is that some crosshairs seem huge and inconsistent in renx

Regardless, Im sure it would still be possible to do a dynamic crosshair if they really wanted. Question is, is it worth the time and effort? Im sure its a lot more difficult to program a dynamic crosshair rendered in real-time than it is to just make an image and slap it on. Personally, if they just changed the health and armor counter at the bottom to have different colors to represent health levels like in the original, Id be satisfied; and anything that came in addition to that would be a bonus.

Regardless, Im sure it would still be possible to do a dynamic crosshair if they really wanted. Question is, is it worth the time and effort? Im sure its a lot more difficult to program a dynamic crosshair rendered in real-time than it is to just make an image and slap it on. Personally, if they just changed the health and armor counter at the bottom to have different colors to represent health levels like in the original, Id be satisfied; and anything that came in addition to that would be a bonus.

It's not really a dynamic crosshair, it's a completely different hud element in terms of half life 2 at least.

All it does is display the same health and ammo just in another place and using a bar, it shouldn't be at all hard to program since you'd have to pretty much copy-paste the code and edit it a bit.

It can be easily done in source.

Ideally, PA has spoilt me with personalized UI. You could literally design any webscriped UI build for that game. Including cosmetic graphics for things, changing colors of things, changing the location of things, changing what you saw and didnt...

...Seeing as how that won't happen here, taking a list of popular UI features and making them options would be neat. Including a centralized number for ammo and health beside the reticle to either side. I am fine with the UI what I seen of it, and when health is critical you get that now-standard-for-shooters bloodshot tunnelvision view. When was that first standardized, Modern Warfare 1?

Off Topic, if we could script our own uis... I would make a My Little Pony themed one :rolleyes:

I am fine with the UI what I seen of it, and when health is critical you get that now-standard-for-shooters bloodshot tunnelvision view. When was that first standardized, Modern Warfare 1?

I personally never really liked the blood-vision thing.

When you're low on health making it harder to see is the last thing you want.

Killing floor takes that to a whole new level making sure you can't see ANYTHING.

It's not really a dynamic crosshair, it's a completely different hud element in terms of half life 2 at least.

All it does is display the same health and ammo just in another place and using a bar, it shouldn't be at all hard to program since you'd have to pretty much copy-paste the code and edit it a bit.

Thats only true if they decide to have just one crosshair, which from videos is probably not going to be the case. If they had different crosshairs for each gun, they would need to render it dynamically based on the dimensions of the crosshair.

Thats only true if they decide to have just one crosshair, which from videos is probably not going to be the case. If they had different crosshairs for each gun, they would need to render it dynamically based on the dimensions of the crosshair.

Or just have different positions per weapon.

Ideally I think there needs to be a standard for crosshairs. Some are just absurdly and unnecessarily big (arty, mrls) while others are small.

But yeah, whatever the solution something has to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've played the game I can say this is a big problem.

There isn't much indication on when you're being shot but a faint hit marker and bullet impact sounds, especially from silenced weapons.

The health and ammo bars should be made bigger at least as a temporary solution because I keep not noticing i'm on low health unless I look down.

There isn't much indication on when you're being shot but a faint hit marker and bullet impact sounds, especially from silenced weapons.

The health and ammo bars should be made bigger at least as a temporary solution because I keep not noticing i'm on low health unless I look down.

The UI is fine as long as they add that HP and possibly the Ammo counter because atm i keep pushing to much because i don't think I've taken any damage at all

I was talking about this in IRC from day one. It really is hard to keep track of your health with the current UI implementation for it. Vanilla Renegade had it bigger and went a step further by animating the damage you were taking which you could notice from the corner of your eyes very easily.

I absolutely agree. Half the time I dont even realized Im being shot. Its like the game is populated entirely by a leper colony.