Generic Characters

Caelun Niveus

I'm wondering, will there maybe be an option or something that makes all the character units generic units? Would personally rather play as a nameless sniper than Deadeye, for example.

Did you play the original Renegade? The named character upgrades are just the way the game is built. Every 500 sniper on GDI is a Deadeye. There is no such thing as a GDI Technician, they are all Hotwires.

Thats not going to change.

Did you play the original Renegade? The named character upgrades are just the way the game is built. Every 500 sniper on GDI is a Deadeye. There is no such thing as a GDI Technician, they are all Hotwires.

I did and I am aware that the game is going to be like that... by default. Just wondering and hoping for a mod or option that might change that.

Well aside from the arguments already given, the recognition is a great part of Renegade as well.

There will most probably be no generic soldiers, even if it would only affect your own visuals. If there were, it would probably either affect everyone to balance visuals and such, as it might help in spotting people.

That being said, they might add an option to change skins like in the original Renegade.

Yeah. As a new member to Renegade this would seem painful to game immersion. However, this is sort of like how it is in Team Fortress.

It may not seem normal. However, it is just the way it is.

The units "character" is the taletale signature of the unit's rig. "Deadeye" is the sniper. It isn't just some soldier with a sniper rifle, it is Deadeye, the GDI Dead 6 member who sharpshoots for the group. Multiple characters playing as him are playing his "role" in team-based combats. It is like 2 people playing as Scout against a Demoman on TF2.

Battlefield, the soldier seem generic to make it seem more normal that there are multiple of them. That is for realistic immersion. This isn't that. This is the single character with cannonical C&C role you are playing as, not a generic soldier.

If it were in the game, I would still like it though. Just cosmetic. Just... meh.

I am playing through the original Renegade at the moment. Only downloaded it a couple days ago, not sure if/how finding multilayer matches works and I'm mostly just going through the campaign. I did get a match in of the multilayer practice as well, so I know both who the named characters are (for the most part, still haven't beaten it at time of posting) and that anyone who wants to be Deadeye can be... Though I will say your analogy with TF2 somehow makes me more accepting of it.

I still would like something more 'generic', but I definitely could live with it as is. A minor, cosmetic nitpick in something I'm looking quite forward too.

It requires a serial. I heard you can download a program called "renlist" that will patch you into servers manually if you enter the server information into it. You can usually find server information at major community websites.

If you had a serial, that is unique, and you set it up with XWIS first, then confirmed it at a different site, then entered it into the game, it would render you the server list. However, that is a lot of work. I can only do it because I had a copy of the game anyway.

Honestly, you can just use a shared serial that you find online, and most servers will let you play if you have scripts 4.0 installed. Renlist is a direct connect 3rd party program that has the server listings already in it, which is very useful. Download scripts 4.0 and then download renlist. That is your best bet.

It requires a serial. I heard you can download a program called "renlist" that will patch you into servers manually if you enter the server information into it. You can usually find server information at major community websites.

If you had a serial, that is unique, and you set it up with XWIS first, then confirmed it at a different site, then entered it into the game, it would render you the server list. However, that is a lot of work. I can only do it because I had a copy of the game anyway.

Damn, and I thought dealing with RenGuard was a pain in the ass.