IndieGames Mag: Renegade X Multiplayer Beta Announced

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade X Multiplayer Beta Announced

Ryan Chodora

on 1 February, 2014 at 21:00

The hopes of another AAA first-person shooter in the Command and Conquer franchise may have vanished after the cancellation of Tiberium, but that isn’t stopping Totem Arts from releasing their own first-person/third-person tactical Command and Conquer shooter, Renegade X.

Renegade X is the spiritual successor to Westwood Studios’ 2002 first-person shooter, Command and Conquer Renegade.

Contrary to Renegade X: Black Dawn, a single-player demo released in 2012, the full release of Renegade X will be multiplayer only. 64 players will be able to hop into two familiar factions, the Global Defense Initiative and the Brotherhood of Nod.

Totem Arts seeks to modernize the multiplayer component of the original Renegade, by using Unreal 3 tech, and upping the player-count.

The newly-repurposed Command and Conquer Mode pits the two factions against each other in a race to destroy one another’s base. Much like the RTS version of Command and Conquer, each base has its own economy, and each structure will play an integral role in battle.

“We believe this game-mode – ‘Command & Conquer Mode’ – can potentially revolutionize the FPS genre. It is the gem that went unnoticed for many years. Now is the time to uncover it,” reads the Renegade X website.

The multiplayer beta will open up on February 26th. Until then, you can download Renegade X: Black Dawn here.

http://www.indiegamemag.com/renegade-x- ... announced/

Only thing I don't like about the Renegade formula was the mindless ducking and dodging spraying and preying and traversing the little tiny maps but that's the core component to renegade, lol. I almost wish it played more like Call of Duty.

Who invited you?

Awesome. Im surprised how much this is being talked about on external sites. Really sets it apart from your normal fan-fare that exists only for niche appeal.

Only thing I don't like about the Renegade formula was the mindless ducking and dodging spraying and preying and traversing the little tiny maps but that's the core component to renegade, lol. I almost wish it played more like Call of Duty.

It was only mindless if you didn't know how to do it properly ;)

And that's coming from a competitive Renegade and a competitive CoD player's perspective.

It was only mindless if you didn't know how to do it properly ;)

And that's coming from a competitive Renegade and a competitive CoD player's perspective.

Renegade had it's place. I mean, there are pros and cons to the way Halo does things and the way CoD does things. Battlefield is the go-to game if you want vehicles and field wars done the way CoD does it. This is more like Halo, as far as 20 bullet kill thresholds and long drawn out dodgity gunfights.

However, it DOES have aim down sight on a large selection of weapons now. At least one can use that as far as feeling like a shooter goes.

I dislike when people compare renegade to other games - especially games that were released after it. There's no use comparing and contrasting it to other games. It is its own game with its own gameplay, characters, and weapons. It wasn't really based off of any other game (fps gameplay wise, obviously it fit into the c&c universe) - it was innovative for the most part. That's part of the reason so many people like myself enjoy it. It was a gameplay before its time, and it was only overlooked because the graphics, netcode, and glitches that existed on release were rather poor. For those who stuck around for the netcode improvements, optional skins, and bug fixes, it really improved to become a pure innovative classic.

As far as aiming in renegade is concerned; it takes a great amount of skill to separate yourself from the average players. To be a great player in renegade took a lot of strategy and skill, and that's a big part on why the competitive side of the game was so incredibly active and competitive.

I believe when Renegade came out people were focused mainly on Counterstrike, so there was not much attention to begin with. Plus EA bought out and dissolved Westwood during this time so we didn't get much in terms of updates or fixes. Most of this was done by the community because they were able to recognize a truly great game. And Renegade was delayed twice I think, but I like to blame this on EA too.

Anyone remember this video:

Generally, it and this both were great games. It just takes some responsibility on the player's end. Unlike Battlefield, which requires handholding on the playerbase's behalf, no insult to players of it, but it pretty much did build and advertize itself.

Drawback of that, is that locks the whole game down. Planetside 2 is a better example as far as scenery and independence from structure compared to Battlefield, and even it isn't similar. I just started playing it (partially to find players to offer RenX to, like my Planetside2 based clan), and it is good don't get me wrong, but it too takes some player responsibility since it is open world and you really got to find your own way to approach playing the game.

Generally, I dislike the extreme depth the metagame has with persistent collectibles and grinding, while one might hate this game for having no metagame and everything is the same from start to end. I generally like it because you don't need to grind to earn things, you simply get better at it without needing to earn things, you simply improve your play with the universal available tools.You have no obligation to grind to get an edge over anyone else, you can enter and be good, you can play a couple of games a week and be no farther back than a daily player, you really have flexibility when you can pick up the game and everything plays like endgame.

Really, that is a good publicity point for this game if you want to get your friends to play. They can choose to play anytime and be on par with every other player, whether they play often or play later. It is also one of the only games ATM that doesn't have beta player advantages lol, which is wierd because I think the beta players did a good job :D

I believe when Renegade came out people were focused mainly on Counterstrike, so there was not much attention to begin with. Plus EA bought out and dissolved Westwood during this time so we didn't get much in terms of updates or fixes. Most of this was done by the community because they were able to recognize a truly great game. And Renegade was delayed twice I think, but I like to blame this on EA too.

Anyone remember this video:

True, renegade had a lot to suffer from ...

and clearly EA , the pre-buying period and the whole restructure process after buying was not a small part of the problem.

Hard to say what westwood would have become if they would not have sold to EA ...

but I am sure they would have done a lot better without selling it!

And the video ... loved it and still do ...

Just shows the spirit of the company :)

Hard to say what westwood would have become if they would not have sold to EA ...

but I am sure they would have done a lot better without selling it!

They wouldve become a game developer named Petroglyph and made games like Universe at War: Earth Assault and Star Wars: Empire at War...

...oh wait, that happened.

Definitely check those titles out, they are awesome.

In all honesty, it was highly probable they would have closed themselves down. Or at the very least have to do some major restructuring.

I mean I loved westwood, but at the time of their demise, they had released bad seller after bad seller after bad seller for a while. They needed a resource to make games... and they chose EA for that. But unfortunately, they squandered a lot of the money EA gave them which is ultimately why EA closed them down. The biggest, and final iirc, nail in the coffin was Westwood's MMO "Earth & Beyond." I heard that game cost EA millions of dollars to make and it flopped, to put it lightly.

In all honesty, it was highly probable they would have closed themselves down. Or at the very least have to do some major restructuring.

I mean I loved westwood, but at the time of their demise, they had released bad seller after bad seller after bad seller for a while. They needed a resource to make games... and they chose EA for that. But unfortunately, they squandered a lot of the money EA gave them which is ultimately why EA closed them down. The biggest, and final iirc, nail in the coffin was Westwood's MMO "Earth & Beyond." I heard that game cost EA millions of dollars to make and it flopped, to put it lightly.

couldn't say it any better. Westwood took a bad decision by splitting up their employees to work on diffrent games. it only led to delayed, mediocre or cancelled games. if they all stuck to the same title i believe they could have easily survived to this day.

I wasnt aware E&B lost that much. Even if that was true, that was back in the day before WoW and MMOs were still largely experimental. Before EA started shutting Westwood down from the inside out, E&B was incredible for its time. There were changes every week, advancing a central plot, adding new sectors, et cetera.

Maybe Im just biased because I loved that game, but still...

BTW, I mentioned before and Ill mention it again, check out Petroglyph Games. It was founded from ex-Westwood employees.

true true ... could have been an other 3d realms ... more than likely ...

and at the end there was not too much harmony anyways, some people were really mad they even concider EA ...

but it could have had ended the other way around, some kind of blizzard story with C&C (even if highly unlikely)

OR anything between blizzard and 3d realms ...

• 2 weeks later...