will there be a spectaroe mode

redeath123

Yes UDK supports spectating. I guess nobody tried it so far including devs but you can open the donsole and type execspectatormode. That normally should switch you to spectatormode. But again im not sure if it works right away in renx or might need some adjustments.

Thing with that is you can still "3rd" People (COD term). Usually you have to position yourself to look around corners but having someone else do it for you makes it like someone has your back can check the other direction that you are checking.

• 2 weeks later...

would be nice to have it in a way that does not block playerslots ...

i hate games where people can spectate and block a slot for someone who actualy brings in any value for the game ...

i like it when games have a spectator client ... probably with a 2 minute delay

Is the spectator mode free-roaming or is it where you see from another player's POV?

And this was taken from the FAQ:

Q: Will we be able to spectate at any time?

A: No, but we will be including RypelCam with Renegade X, which allows players to record their games, watch them from any angle, slow them down, speed them up, and make cool videos out of them.

Does this still hold true? And what exactly is this "RypelCam"?

Edited by Guest

Does this still hold true? And what exactly is this "RypelCam"?

The last time I tried it, it worked like this:

You start a match and enter a console command to start recording the match. Then at any point you enter another command to stop recording. Then you can go back and watch the recording. However, unlike other recording programs, this doesn't just record what the player did and saw from their perspective, it recorded the entire world as it where. So during this recording, you can free-roam around and see what different people where doing at the same time.

But honestly, it's been a very long time since the last time I used that command. I don't even know if it's still there or not.

RypelCam and Demos are two different things.

Demos are what R3 explained; it is a complete recording of a match, that you can then come back to and watch any time, and you have the ability to move the camera to any where you want to. In order for this demo to capture EVERYTHING, it has to be recorded by the server, not a client. Client demos (which only record things you saw) no longer work in UDK, so RenX will be restricted to just the server demos. Access to them will be up to server admins, and future features built into RenX to better support them from an accessibility perspective.

RypelCam is a demo smoothing tool (that you use IN demos), this video explains what it is and how to use it:

Ignore the stuff about downloading and installing it, RypelCam comes built into RenX.

pretty confused now ...

spectate yes, but only for admins/mods?

for the players only recording replays of what they saw?

I think the recording thing was a tangent talking about several ways of implementing it with various programs; I dont think any of that is set in stone.

Spectator mode was in UT3, so I have no doubt its possible/probable in RenX (and also confirmed by a dev earlier in this thread). Limiting it to mod/admin is probably a server option, as is the option to enable it at all.

well the FAQ says

NO spectateing

ONLY replays

(FAQ probably worked out with the whole dev team)

now one dev says there is a spectator mode what does not work how it is supposed, but is confident it will be fixed and stays as a serverside option.

those two official statements are totaly contrary ... yet confuseing

I still hope there wont be spectateing

Ok, fair enough.

Im not sure why theyd turn off spectator mode, especially if cheating was their prime motivation. Unreal Tournament was a very competitive game and survived a spectator mode, as were many other big name titles.

My guess is if its not in the game, its because its somehow not functioning the way it should or was just never worked on at all.

Not contrary. One is the simple answer and the other is a more detailed answer.

Spectating doesn't work correctly, but it is technically in there because it is in the UDK. It is not supported because it is broken, so it won't be freely accessible to any player by default (hence the simple answer just being No). There is the ability to re-enable it, but it would only be used for extraordinary circumstances given it's broken state.

In the future, it will be fixed, and at that point there will be options given to server admins on how much to expose the ability to people, given their specific use of their server. Some servers will only allow select people to spectate, such as moderators in a public server or shoutcasters/tournament admins in competitive servers. Other servers may allow anyone to spectate.

EDIT: Note the question on the FAQ is "Will we be able to spectate at any time?", so the answer of No is completely valid.

I see how nice it is for mods and admins (if they do not abuse) ...

but for public, i hope that will not become a standard

Yes it wouldn't be a default setting to allow everyone to spectate on a public server in a vanilla setup, as it is not suitable for the game mode.

I do wish it was possible to spectate after death, at least a certain amount of time without respawning or some such. I do wish sometimes I could see those next 15-20 seconds after my early death to see first hand how the rush/whatever is going.

It would be as close to a legitimate use of some spectating function as we can get, and I'd love it, personally. It can be somewhat anti-climatic to be part of a big, defining moment but you don't get to see any of it.

Thats somewhat different though.

I do wish it was possible to spectate after death, at least a certain amount of time without respawning or some such. I do wish sometimes I could see those next 15-20 seconds after my early death to see first hand how the rush/whatever is going.

It would be as close to a legitimate use of some spectating function as we can get, and I'd love it, personally. It can be somewhat anti-climatic to be part of a big, defining moment but you don't get to see any of it.

Thats somewhat different though.

You do have the ability to look around for a few seconds after you die.