Why is this game 100% free

pamford45

So... You spend 7 years for creating a game and then... it's free.

I do not think after all the money spent on game development, not charging anything for it.

So, this game is free? And what benefit you get with that?

I know it's a silly question. But better assure me that these people are legit and not some scammers

So... You spend 7 years for creating a game and then... it's free.

I do not think after all the money spent on game development, not charging anything for it.

So, this game is free? And what benefit you get with that?

I know it's a silly question. But better assure me that these people are legit and not some scammers

Because if they made any money from this at all they would get sued by EA. That just one of the reasons though

because EA said they can recreate the game, but only if they don't make ay money out of it.

I don't think they spent 7 years creating the multiplayer.

Originally, they made the UT3 version which was abandoned in 2009, when UDK came out.

Then spent between 2009 and 2011 creating black dawn.

Then from 2011 until today they have been creating the multiplayer.

The way the job market is in game designing is that you pretty much don't get a job unless you have prior experience. Most people get experience by creating mods and maps, or by working on larger projects such as Renegade X. This will look extraordinary on a resume, I'm sure.

As mentioned before, the developers cannot accept any money due to legal issues with EA. If you wish to support Renegade X, I suggest the following:

1. Donate to the server hosts that will host Renegade X games (e.g. Jelly server)

2. Advertise this game to your friends and on online communities. If you can spend money, rent some ad space.

3. Wait for TotemArts (the Ren X devs) to release their first game, and buy it.

I am a beta tester since the game was far from done. But today the day it is pretty much done (off-course balance and stuff like that is still to be done). So there is really a good quality game in development. C&C and its universes belong to EA, they are not allowed to make any profit out of it. Being a C&C fan is one of the things that motivates most C&C modders and I guess it probably will also count for most of the developers of this game. Still they will get their WIN part. That part starts on 26 februari.

Once they launch such a game, they will have a great portfolio to get a job anywhere. Another great opportunity they have, is to build a 100% own gerne/game with the Totem Arts team. They can do great stuff with all the UDK knowledge they have gain in the last 7 years, also the popularity of Renegade-X would work great if you want to distribute your own game with its own story. Building a community is the hard part for new publishers, No community = less or no sales/downloads. Offering something as a free fan project is a great way to get started to build a community.

Freeware. Pretty much the same as anyone else who makes freeware.

Why did people make so many Renegade mods? There are over 40 player maps for C&C Renegade. Tiberium Technologies made a patch within the last year adding an automatic map loader to players who join a server playing a map they don't have, to load the map for them. What did they get out of it?

Improving the community. That is why we salute their service to the community.

But yeah, they would at least accept donations I am sure, if it weren't for legal obligation never to accept money for any work done on an EA liscensed game. Remember, EA is like Nintendo circa 1990, you make a game liscensed by them and aquire a penny in sales, they will sue you for cease and desist AND profit AND damages to their game which they WILL blow out of proportion. RE: Apple vs Samsung.

So yes, because of all these issues, this game is 100% free. They said, in light of that, they will use the momentum of this game to start their own Intellectual Property based project, something they can perhaps build a standard business model off of, using this as their credit and background source. People seeing "Totem Arts" will want to support their new game, based off their charitable work.

I honestly wish sometimes, they would start a kickstarter and raise some kind of funds to aquire a legitimate paper liscense to work on things like this, and expand it across Renegade, Reborn, Red Alert, and bring all this awesome together. That is unlikely to happen, but who knows what their next project will be. I will probably support it.

You cant understand until you create something similar; maybe not as big as RenX, but something that took time and effort. When whateveritis is finally finished, the feeling of people discovering and enjoying it is something that cannot be explained, its great. Its the same reason artists did what they did before copyright law existed and when being an artist most likely meant being poor.

Sure the resume/portfolio reason is there, but I think that was more of an indirect benefit. I think they did it simply to do it.