Players Vs. AI game modes?

MechanicalMan

There are fully functioning AI in Renegade X that know how the play the game properly. They buy vehicles and characters. They group for rushes, the defend they repair, etc. The game comes with an offline skirmish mode that lets you play by yourself with bots. You can also add bots to online matches with the vote of approval from other players.

While there isn't a "players vs bots" game mode, you can probably set up such a game just by coordinating with other players to join the same team and then just adding bots to the other team.

Ive read on here that the AI in RenX is significantly more competent than in the original Ren, so Im definitely anxious to see if that truly holds up.

Though, Id have sooner teamed up with a paper cutout of a soldier before picking the original AI...

There are fully functioning AI in Renegade X that know how the play the game properly. They buy vehicles and characters. They group for rushes, the defend they repair, etc. The game comes with an offline skirmish mode that lets you play by yourself with bots. You can also add bots to online matches with the vote of approval from other players.

Really, though?

Because the last time I read something you wrote regarding the AI, it was this:

The main downfall of Black Dawn us was the AI. Epic released a standard AI with the UDK when it was originally released, and this is what we're using at the moment. The AI has some minimal functions and is able to follow simple directives, but we had our fingers crossed that Epic would improve AI with one of their monthly UDK releases. Our AI does not take cover, does not work as a team, and overall functions simplisticly, and to have intelligent enemies would require a few full-time AI programmers doing a year of work, and unfortunately we don't have those resources. Part of the reason why we didn't focus on AI is because on the long-term, the only AI we'll be seeing in multiplayer is the harvester, which has a simple function that the current AI should be able to handle with a few tweaks. Otherwise, most of our work on the bots was done in kismet, to at least make the campaign more enjoyable.
Lets face it, the game is entirely done in our freetime, and that is the limiting factor, for sure we can make a decent AI or optimize it to run on lower hardware. BUT as we have very limited amount of the human resources (time) available, we need to focus on the more important game elements, like the main features. So we need to make a tradeoff, and AI for MP is as low on the list as it gets.
The truth about AI is that it just wasn't given any priority. On the programming side we were concerned with getting things that will be reused for MP first, such as basic and intermediate level functionality for weapons, vehicles, and characters. We wanted to improve the AI, and we did try to find programmers that would be solely dedicated to AI, but they just were not easy to come by. Sure there are programmers out there that can, but we could not find anyone willing to do it for free. Since RenX is all about mutliplayer, we had to work with what we had, and what we had was the standard AI that comes with UDK/UT3 Demo. Black Dawn's main objective was to establish a good foundation for multiplayer.
Where was it said that it's not possible? Yes, you have to write code for it, which essentially edits the source of your game. I never said it's impossible. All I said is that they had to write their code for it just like anyone else. And yes, it's totally doable, but it ended up on a low priority when the deadline was said and bugs that appeared later on (mostly caused by rushed commits to hit the deadline) made it impossible to get the time to even do that. I'm actually very experienced in writing AIs for games (and simulations), however a good AI that is actually clever simply takes time and to make one for the multiplayer (where you can make 1000s of decisions on what you are going to do next) that isn't just there to score free kills would take years, if current hardware could even calculate it for say 20 bots without freezing up...

---

In short: "It's shit, and we're not likely to do anything about it".

---

Is this still the case? The quotes are responses to criticism of the standalone singleplayer release, one or two years back. Are you saying there has been significant improvements since then? Have you for example been able to get an actual AI-coder on you team, or something of the sort?

Well I'm a tester of the game, not a dev... So those aren't my comments.

Compared to the AI in Black Dawn, the AI the new release is outstanding. They put up a fight and play the game properly as it should be played.

There really isn't much more to be said about it. You'll just have to see it yourself to believe it.

The bots behave rather well and have different functionality. You can set them up to be primarily attacking bots, defending bots, or an in between, as well as choosing your own number and the difficulty of the bots per team. They behave very human-like for the most part, or as close as a bot can get to it, at least.

No, the bots that get added midgame have a default setting I believe. Its the ones you can setup beforehand that are editable. I believe server owners/admins have access to it because of this. I am not 100% certain on how it works for sure though, and I am sure someone else can go into it deeper with you

From how I understand it, bots can be added to a multiplayer match in two ways.

First, the server owners add them in. They specify how many and their difficulty and spawn them in.

The second way is through an in-game poll. A player can create in game surveys with a hotkey. One pre-set survey is to ask if bots should be added. When setting up the survey, it asks you how many you want to add and then what you want their difficulty to be set at. When finished, it will say to all players in the match "Player A wants to add X# of bots of skill level Y. Vote F1 (Yes), Vote F2 (No)." If the vote passes, those bots will be added and cannot be edited while in game.